Post Reply
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What would you do with $157.9 Million Dollars?
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 7:56PM #1
gregarious
Posts: 30
Mega Millions winner in Kansas claims share of prize - but chooses to remain anonymous

usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/06/11...

I guess the first thing you have to do is hide and then publically give most of it away or someone will kill you for it or you'll die of excess. Have a good time spreading it around.  
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 10:31AM #2
Bodean
Posts: 8,707

Apr 6, 2012 -- 7:56PM, gregarious wrote:

Mega Millions winner in Kansas claims share of prize - but chooses to remain anonymous

usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/06/11...

I guess the first thing you have to do is hide and then publically give most of it away or someone will kill you for it or you'll die of excess. Have a good time spreading it around.  




- I would first, pay off all my existing debt. [which is not much]


- Second .. I'd take a trip overseas to see Europe.  As much as I despise their politics, there is a special place in my heart for it, being as it is the home of my ancestors.


- Third, I'd put away a few million for my sustenence for the rest of my life


- Fourth .. I'd buy up a few million in land ...


... and finally .. I'd go about opening up businesses, to give people work opportunities, such that a much greater realm of people would be able to benefit from my good fortune.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 9:52AM #3
Cesmom
Posts: 4,237

Apr 7, 2012 -- 10:31AM, Bodean wrote:


Apr 6, 2012 -- 7:56PM, gregarious wrote:

Mega Millions winner in Kansas claims share of prize - but chooses to remain anonymous

usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/06/11...

I guess the first thing you have to do is hide and then publically give most of it away or someone will kill you for it or you'll die of excess. Have a good time spreading it around.  




- I would first, pay off all my existing debt. [which is not much]


- Second .. I'd take a trip overseas to see Europe.  As much as I despise their politics, there is a special place in my heart for it, being as it is the home of my ancestors.


- Third, I'd put away a few million for my sustenence for the rest of my life


- Fourth .. I'd buy up a few million in land ...


... and finally .. I'd go about opening up businesses, to give people work opportunities, such that a much greater realm of people would be able to benefit from my good fortune.




Those are all great ideas...I think my answers would be similar...except that I'm betting my debt would be a little heavier than what you describe. ;-)  


I would love to travel everywhere in the United States that I've never been, and re-visit a few places I've enjoyed.  I'd love to take the family on an extravaggant vacation...Atlantis in the Bahamas is amazing.


I think winning that much money would be a little scary.  I mean, a person wins a million or two and can still remain fairly anonymous, but I think that kind of windfall would make someone a huge target.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 11:18AM #4
Bodean
Posts: 8,707

Apr 9, 2012 -- 9:52AM, Cesmom wrote:


Apr 7, 2012 -- 10:31AM, Bodean wrote:


Apr 6, 2012 -- 7:56PM, gregarious wrote:

Mega Millions winner in Kansas claims share of prize - but chooses to remain anonymous

usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/06/11...

I guess the first thing you have to do is hide and then publically give most of it away or someone will kill you for it or you'll die of excess. Have a good time spreading it around.  




- I would first, pay off all my existing debt. [which is not much]


- Second .. I'd take a trip overseas to see Europe.  As much as I despise their politics, there is a special place in my heart for it, being as it is the home of my ancestors.


- Third, I'd put away a few million for my sustenence for the rest of my life


- Fourth .. I'd buy up a few million in land ...


... and finally .. I'd go about opening up businesses, to give people work opportunities, such that a much greater realm of people would be able to benefit from my good fortune.




Those are all great ideas...I think my answers would be similar...except that I'm betting my debt would be a little heavier than what you describe. ;-)  


I would love to travel everywhere in the United States that I've never been, and re-visit a few places I've enjoyed.  I'd love to take the family on an extravaggant vacation...Atlantis in the Bahamas is amazing.


I think winning that much money would be a little scary.  I mean, a person wins a million or two and can still remain fairly anonymous, but I think that kind of windfall would make someone a huge target.





It would be scary for those who would have no plan for such.


I think the problem with most people is they'd want to live the life of the hollywood elites.  Endless vacations to exotic resorts ... expensive cars, expensive clothes, expensive houses, etc etc.  Those types of irrational, materialistic views always end up in bankruptcy, and a ruined life.  They ran a story about it, how many of the lotto's winners end up with a life in shambles.


I've always dreamed of having that kind of money such that I could execute all my dreams of creating a better life for many.  I have all kinds of manufacturing ideas, with plants that operate on a "share" basis, such that you get your share, and your buddy gets his.  Since I'd have my few million put away for my own sake, my share would be the last considered, and it would be very small.  That way, there'd be no complaining about equal pay.  There'd be no strikes for benefits, etc .. because, the workers themselves would essentially be the owners.  The goal of the "corporation" would be to grow in order to put even more people to work.  It's charter would be to strive to achieve a resource to finished product line.  Thus, you mine the ore, you smelt the ore, you fabricate the steel, you manufacture the finished good, and you sell it.  The procedes of the sale go back to fund the entire line.


Another aspect of it .. it would be sole ownership.  No Wall Street, and since I'd have this nice pile of cash, that would be my start up funds ... so no banks to skim off the top of the profits for interests. ....


... anyway ... getting carried away with my dreams of a perfect world ... sorry ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 12:49PM #5
Mostyn32
Posts: 2,941

First, I'd pay off my debts, then fix up my house, making it totally 'green' and completely energy efficient (For instance, I'd install a generator and take myself off the hydro electric grid, I'd heat the house thermally, using natural heat from the ground, and I'd install solar panels as well) .


Second, I'd set up hefty trust funds for my grandsons.


Third, I'd pay off the mortgages for my sons.


Fourth, I'd buy an island in Lake of the Woods, and build a house on it. Then I'd buy a Cessna and take flying lessons so that I could fly in and out year-round.


Fifth, I'd make hefty donations to my parish, my diocese and the Anglican Church of Canada, and I'd put a million or three into the Primate's World Relief and Development Fund.


Sixth, I'd establish a lot of scholarships for young people who have the brains but not the money to attend university, college, trade schools so that they can get an education in the field of their choice. Once they graduated/completed their training, I'd set them up in business.  

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 1:36PM #6
Roodog
Posts: 10,168

Pay off my house and muy bills and leave a handsome trust for my wife.


Invest in some promising business on the condition that it expands and create more good jobs.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 2:48PM #7
catboxer
Posts: 13,694

The foolish dream of a pie-in-the-sky payout is but one of the many devices our rulers use to pry open our pockets and steal our money.


Another is endlessly repeating the blatant whopper that Social Security is insolvent, with the aim of stealing that money. Another is refusing to kick in for health care ("We cheat the other guy and pass the savings on to YOU"). But for right now, let's stick to the lottery.


As I'm writing this, the centrist (translation = "right wing") governor of Pennsylvania is planning to "privatize" his state's lottery, in order to encourage "innovation" and enhanced "cash flow." For those of you have not yet achieved a cynical attitude toward these "folks," that means robbing Pennsylvanians more efficiently, not to mention ruthlessly.


When states start fleecing their humblest and most vulnerable citizens in order to boost revenue, we've hit bottom. And I'll say here and now that this is going to end very badly.


Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 9:23PM #8
Erey
Posts: 17,320

I would move houses, of course my current home would need a few repairs to look good on the market.  I would quit my job.  I appreciate my work, glad to have it  but I don't love it.  I would still work and invest in businesses I would just have more choices.


I would funnel monies to other family members who can't afford their own home.  I would of course set up trusts for children, mine and some nieces and nephews. 



I would buy a second home, in central coast California near Big Sur.  Family and friends could come and stay there and enjoy.  Of course all of you would be welcome to visit also but not all at the same time.  I don't expect 159 million would go that far to afford a really huge home in Big Sur. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 11:26PM #9
k-bearsmom
Posts: 1,716

Oh Erey... a SHACK in Big Sur would suffice I think.


I would...like others...pay off my children's mortgages, set up a college fund for all 6 grandkids....take everyone on the inland cruise to Alaska...give whatever they need to find a new medicine or cure for MS.....take a trunk full of my paints and go to the greek islands.....build a small home with a sunny studio and an indoor lap pool.....build a huge and fully equipped pregnancy Center with doctors on staff and wonderful birthing rooms and nurseries and monies for after-care for those who wish to keep thier babes....free day care for those who want to go back to school....


 


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 11:31PM #10
k-bearsmom
Posts: 1,716

Hey Cat.....you seem so despondent lately...it makes me sad Cry

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook