Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Christian College Shooting
2 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 7:15PM #1
d_p_m

It appears that a former nursing student flipped out and shot seven of his former classmates.

Anyone want to make a bet on how long before the talking heads go off on more 'gun control' rants?

www.startribune.com/nation/145898135.htm...

www.todaysthv.com/news/article/205214/28...

Edit: added news links

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Apr 03, 2012 - 10:32AM
"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"One need only watch a few minutes of any Orphan Black episode to see why Tatiana Maslany deserves to win every acting award available."

—Mark Rozeman, http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2014/07/18-first-time-emmy-nominees-wed-like-to-see.html?a=1
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 7:46PM #2
rocketjsquirell

I will start. We need real gun control in this country. We need to end "right to carry" laws. No one needs to carry a fire arm. The only legitimate uses for fire arms are 1. hunting, 2. sport target shooting. Fire arms are not appropriate for "personal protection" They are not appropriate for "fending off the federales"  Oh and despite what the new "conservative" activist Supremes  say, the Constitution DOES NOT give you a right to carry or own a firearm. It does give you the right to join the National Guard. 

If you value life, you support gun control. If you value death, you oppose gun control. It is really that simple.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 10:29PM #3
REteach

Makes me glad I went to the violent incident class, but I sure hope I never have to use it.  

I do wonder if there is more violence or if we just hear about more of it closer to real time.  Apparently around 150 years ago, being a teacher was a pretty risky proposition due to the risk of getting beaten by students.  We didn't even start thinking about child abuse as a medical problem until the end of the 1950s.  

I also really think we need a lot more mental health professionals and better insurance coverage for mental health.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 11:27PM #4
Ebon

Apr 2, 2012 -- 7:15PM, d_p_m wrote:

Anyone want to make a bet on how long before the talking heads go off on more 'gun control' rants?

They're not getting the chance lately. Every time some nut goes off, the "talking heads" pop up, rubbishing the gun control argument before it's even made.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 11:33PM #5
loveontheair

It appears that a former nursing student flipped out and shot seven of his former classmates.

Hello,

So we're to take your word for this?

loved

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 11:44PM #6
Ebon

Because I'm nice (if cynical), here's a link:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17590...

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 11:48PM #7
mainecaptain

Apr 2, 2012 -- 11:27PM, Ebon wrote:

They're not getting the chance lately. Every time some nut goes off, the "talking heads" pop up, rubbishing the gun control argument before it's even made.

Yes, the pro shoot people crowd

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 12:17AM #8
Ebon

Apr 2, 2012 -- 11:48PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Yes, the pro shoot people crowd

Maybe. I'm sure they see themselves differently.

Thing is, I don't think it matters. Whether you or I think guns should be banned or snuggle them tightly at nights, it's not going to make any difference. Nothing will ever make any difference. Scorpio could walk straight out of Dirty Harry and open up with a Kalasnikov on a school bus and it wouldn't matter. Nothing would change. The pro-gun lobby and the anti-gun lobby would trot out their usual speakers to make the same pleas we've all heard a dozen times and no-one's mind will be changed except maybe the parents of the kids on that school bus and probably not even then.

Guns are too embedded in the American bloodstream. The pro-gun lobby is too powerful to lose any fight and even if they weren't, if the NRA closed it's doors tomorrow, you'd still have the problem that so much of your cultural mythology is based around guns. Dirty Harry, "remember the Alamo!", every western ever made. Cultural mythology is the shared set of myths and legends that a society tells about itself and you might not be aware of this but your media enforces that cultural mythology constantly, more than probably any country in the free world. Sometime, when you have an afternoon free, sit and watch TV and count the number of times someone speaks about the USA is glowing terms or references it as the best, free-est, etc country in the world. Even when you criticise the country, you have to point out that you love it too. Everywhere else, that's just assumed but the USA, you have almost competative patriotism. Spoonfeeding you that cultural mythology every moment of every day. And every time I say this, someone comes out with "Britain is no better" (which is partly true but misses the point) or "what about X?" (again, assuming a negative comment about the country is a blanket condemnation) or just "well, it's true" (no comment necessary). The cultural mythology becomes an article of faith, self-reinforcing. There are many things I love about the USA (see, even I feel the need to make that clear) and maybe I'll do a post about them sometimes but the stories you tell yourselves about yourselves...

And a lot of that cultural mythology involves guns. And the beauty of cultural mythology is that it's virtually never critically examined, only defended. Think of Americana and somewhere in the background will be guns. Sometimes they're for hunting, sometimes for defence, never for sport shooting (which is odd, you'd think there'd be some fictional character who shoots as a hobby) but the guns will usually be there. They're too deeply enmeshed now. In too many people's pocket and desk drawer, too much a normal part of everyday life to be removed. In Britain, handguns were finally banned in 1997 (which I personally feel goes too far) but that came after nearly a century of gradual refining of the regulations and even then, it took a primary school massacre to make it happen(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_ma...). We were already used to the idea of gun control. Without that, the massacre wouldn't have had the effect that it did. In the States, the idea of gun control is almost entirely foreign to you. And the fact that it is so foreign and the powerful effect on the public psyche, means it will almost certainly remain that way. Forever.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 12:45AM #9
Fodaoson

Apr 2, 2012 -- 7:46PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

I will start. We need real gun control in this country. We need to end "right to carry" laws. No one needs to carry a fire arm. The only legitimate uses for fire arms are 1. hunting, 2. sport target shooting. Fire arms are not appropriate for "personal protection" They are not appropriate for "fending off the federales"  Oh and despite what the new "conservative" activist Supremes  say, the Constitution DOES NOT give you a right to carry or own a firearm. It does give you the right to join the National Guard. 

If you value life, you support gun control. If you value death, you oppose gun control. It is really that simple.

Article [II]

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

There is still a reason for the right to bear arms. Think Syria, Think Libya Think Blanchard, Oklahoma

“On New Year’s Eve, the Oklahoma mother proved she was anything but defenseless after she shot and killed an intruder breaking into her home, the Daily Mail reports.

On New Year’s Eve, the Oklahoma mother proved she was anything but defenseless after she shot and killed an intruder breaking into her home, the Daily Mail reports.

Two men tried breaking into Ms McKinley’s house, one armed with a 12-inch hunting knife.

The distressed young mother called 911 to request advice on what to do with the armed men

"I’m in here by myself with my infant baby, can I please get a dispatcher out here immediately?"

"I’ve got two guns in my hand - is it okay to shoot him if he comes in the door?" she said to the dispatcher.

The dispatcher replies: "I can’t tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby."

Ms McKinley then shot one of the intruders in the torso with a 12-gauge shotgun, killing him

www.perthnow.com.au/news/oaklahoma-teen-...

liberalism:

political theory stressing individualism: a political ideology with its beginnings in western Europe that rejects authoritarian government and defends  individual freedoms such as  speech, association, religion, and the right to own property and secure in ones home.

We have several posters who claim to be liberals but do not espouse  Liberty .Liberty of politics, property and conscience 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 2:31AM #10
shmuelgoldstein

Apr 2, 2012 -- 7:46PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

I agree.

But I would also repeal the Second Amendment.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook