Page 5 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Michelle Duggar tells CBN We Could Fit the Entire Planet of 7 Billion+ People in Jacksonville, Fla
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 10:20AM #41
Ebon

Apr 6, 2012 -- 8:55AM, Girlchristian wrote:

The question is what would you like to do to control growth? Should we all be like China and limit the number of children and force abortions or sterilization if someone doesn't obey the rules? What measures would you advocate putting in place to control growth?

Free contraception would be one place to start. Give out free condoms and femidoms (do they still make those?) everywhere. Make the machines that dispense them free. Devote some serious research to coming up with a male birth-control pill (I'd take it). While we're at it, make sterilization free too. Break the societal assumption that everyone will have kids, break the social expectation that women will automatically become mothers and, moreover, that this is the only way for her to be a complete woman (I remain convinced that those bloody baby dolls do a lot to foster that impression). Now, it must be said that I'm somewhat biased here because I don't have or want kids. No, we don't want to go to the extremes which China has (although a modified form of the one child policy might be worth looking into) but runaway population growth does nobody any favours.

Apr 5, 2012 -- 9:16PM, farragut wrote:

Sounds like we need more better wars.

We need more and better space exploration. How much is the military budget? Upwards of six hundred billion and maybe close to a trillion once you add in the black budgets. If we devoted even half that money to space research, we could have off-world colonies by now.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 10:43AM #42
arielg

The question is what would you like to do to control growth? Should we all be like China and limit the number of children and force abortions or sterilization if someone doesn't obey the rules? What measures would you advocate putting in place to control growth?

China is not doing it for fun.   We are not at that point yet, but if we have to, we will do it too. Individual's needs  will have to be balanced by society's needs.  Either we  prevent more people  from coming or we will have to kill more. The present trend is not sustainable, no matter how one looks at it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 11:47AM #43
farragut

The best that I remember from what I've read, in spite of people like the Duggars, the Full Quiver idiots, the Mormons, some Catholics and others, the US, most of western Europe, Russia, Japan are not contributing to the growing population problem. It's everybody else that's screwing like mad. It makes one wonder if the various third-world disease-fighting campaigns being funded by the west really make sense.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 12:11PM #44
mountain_man

Apr 6, 2012 -- 11:47AM, farragut wrote:

...It makes one wonder if the various third-world disease-fighting campaigns being funded by the west really make sense.

So, you're saying they should die from diseases just because they are not Western?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 12:18PM #45
mountain_man

The question is what would you like to do to control growth?

Free birth control for anyone that asks. Change the views of the whole society and make large families unethical. Tax families with more than two children (adoptions excepted). Get creative. There's many ways this could be done.

Should we all be like China and limit the number of children and force abortions or sterilization if someone doesn't obey the rules?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Sorry to yell like that, but forcing abortions and forcing sterilizations just goes against every fiber of my being. There are other ways to take care of populations than by violating women's rights.

What measures would you advocate putting in place to control growth?

I mentioned a few above.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 12:43PM #46
Girlchristian

Apr 6, 2012 -- 12:18PM, mountain_man wrote:

The question is what would you like to do to control growth?

Free birth control for anyone that asks. Change the views of the whole society and make large families unethical. Tax families with more than two children (adoptions excepted). Get creative. There's many ways this could be done.

The only thing I question is the idea that birth control can fix this. In my midwestern state there are over 100 sites where someone can get free birth control and yet we know from surveys and Guttmacher institute that even women that have birth control don't use it.

The issue is even worse in non-industrialized nations. I was in the Amazon last year and damn near every woman in each village had over 6 children and many of them had over 10 children. Not sure how we fix that realistically. (Funny story, we met a grandmother that had 14 children and yet one of her daughters only had 3. When we asked how that happened, the grandmother joked that her daughter's husband was 'rich' enough to have a TV and; therefore, had other means of entertainment Smile)

I don't think you'll ever see a politican support an additional tax on families with more than two children, but it's an interesting idea.

Should we all be like China and limit the number of children and force abortions or sterilization if someone doesn't obey the rules?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Sorry to yell like that, but forcing abortions and forcing sterilizations just goes against every fiber of my being. There are other ways to take care of populations than by violating women's rights.

I actually agree with you, was just wondering what others thought.

What measures would you advocate putting in place to control growth?

I mentioned a few above.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 12:50PM #47
farragut

"So, you're saying they should die from diseases just because they are not Western?"

Did I inexplicably include a "should"?

The open question seems to be, "What can we do different about the population problem, since what we are doing appears to be wrong?"

Does it not appear that some of the things that we are doing do, in fact, compound the problem?

Should we let nature take its course?

Should the nations cited be the only contributors while the rest of the world propagates like bacteria?

These are only thought questions; I would not presume to offer a should.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 12:53PM #48
Iwantamotto

Erey:  Well being pro choice is about supporting OTHER PEOPLE having a choice.  Even if that choice is not one you would ever entertain making.  Being pro choice is not just about abortion it is also about the ability to CHOOSE the kind of family you want to have.

Indeed.  However, once you can't pay for all of them, I think the rest of the people who ARE get to have an opinion.

Girlchristian:  The question is what would you like to do to control growth?

Whatever happened to abstinence-only?  Oh, yeah, right ... they became moms.  Never mind.

Should we all be like China and limit the number of children and force abortions or sterilization if someone doesn't obey the rules? What measures would you advocate putting in place to control growth?

Well, yeah, that'd do it, but I don't think you really have to go that far.  We say we need more land, but there are neighborhoods or whole towns that are a complete waste of space.  I think just revamping current inefficiencies in city design would be a great start.  The idea is to use the psychology of personal space (or lack thereof) to influence the drive to make more people.  It's why some people shop at 3am because they don't like how crowded the store is at 3pm.

mountain_man:  There are other ways to take care of populations than by violating women's rights.

Women?  I was going to sterilize the men.  After all, we are limited with how many we can bring in at a time, but a guy can sow seeds all day long.  :P

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 1:05PM #49
mainecaptain

Apr 6, 2012 -- 12:53PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Women?  I was going to sterilize the men.  After all, we are limited with how many we can bring in at a time, but a guy can sow seeds all day long.  :P

I think we should start a strong sterilisation program and begin will every man who voted to limited women's rights. We certainly do not need bast*rds like that breeding.

In fact it should only be men who vote to end women's rights

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 1:24PM #50
mecdukebec

Apr 6, 2012 -- 1:05PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Apr 6, 2012 -- 12:53PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

I think we should start a strong sterilisation program and begin will every man who voted to limited women's rights. We certainly do not need bast*rds like that breeding.

In fact it should only be men who vote to end women's rights

Since Wingoism holds with the U.S. S.Ct decision that "a corporation is a person," can a corporation be sterilised, and not allowed to donate to candidates that want war with Iran, tax breaks for poor CEOs, and class warfare?

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook