Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View More nukes for South Carolina - Are they crazy or just stupid?
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 10:26PM #1
solfeggio
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has just granted a license to the SCANA corporation in a joint venture with the state-owned South Carolina utility Santee Cooper, to build two 1,117-megawatt units (nuclear reactors) at the V.C. Summer nuclear plant, built in the 1980s, near Jenkinsville, South Carolina.

thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/219277...

The commission had already approved construction of new reactors in Georgia, the first time regulators approved such construction in thirty years.

thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/209727...

This, whilst the Fukushima plant is still in melt-down?  This, when nobody has ever solved the problem of disposing of radioactive garbage?  This, when it is well established that even very low levels of ionising radiation from these plants can seriously harm people?

And what about the cost, which at $9 billion is prohibitive? 

uk.reuters.com/article/2012/03/30/usa-nu...    

Are the people in charge of this project crazy, or just plain stupid?  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 11:42PM #2
mountain_man

Mar 30, 2012 -- 10:26PM, solfeggio wrote:

Both, and more. Nuclear power is the most expensive and environmentally destructive way to generate electricity. For that amount of money they could buy everyone in that state a new, energy efficient, refrigerator and SAVE more electricity than that plant could generate.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 12:05AM #3
teilhard

And ...

The Eletrical Power to RUN the extra-efficient Refrigerator will be generated ... how ... ??

Mar 30, 2012 -- 11:42PM, mountain_man wrote:

Mar 30, 2012 -- 10:26PM, solfeggio wrote:

Both, and more. Nuclear power is the most expensive and environmentally destructive way to generate electricity. For that amount of money they could buy everyone in that state a new, energy efficient, refrigerator and SAVE more electricity than that plant could generate.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 10:33AM #4
mytmouse57

When I read the title, I though South Carolina was arming itself with nuclear weapons.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 11:41AM #5
IreneAdler

Mar 31, 2012 -- 10:33AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

When I read the title, I though South Carolina was arming itself with nuclear weapons.

LOL- me too!

Thinking we might be in for a replay of the War Between the States.

Irene. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 6:14PM #6
solfeggio

Yeah, I know it looked like that when I looked at the title later.  But, then, I thought: What the hell? 

What surprises me, though, is that, after various surveys have shown that Americans do not want nuclear power, the U.S. continues to be the world's largest producer of nuclear power, with more than one hunred nuclear plants.

www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf41.html

nuclear-news.net/2012/03/08/77-of-americ...

www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/03/1...

I guess big business really does call the shots in America these days.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 6:23PM #7
teilhard

The increasing NEED for Electricity "calls the Shots" these days ...

What Alternative is imagined ... ??? Hook up a Generator and Battery Set-up to that Stationary Bicycle in the Family Room ... ???

Mar 31, 2012 -- 6:14PM, solfeggio wrote:

Yeah, I know it looked like that when I looked at the title later.  But, then, I thought: What the hell? 

What surprises me, though, is that, after various surveys have shown that Americans do not want nuclear power, the U.S. continues to be the world's largest producer of nuclear power, with more than one hunred nuclear plants.

www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf41.html

nuclear-news.net/2012/03/08/77-of-americ...

www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/03/1...

I guess big business really does call the shots in America these days.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 6:56PM #8
solfeggio

If Americans can go to the moon, they can certainly find ways to generate electricity without using nuclear power.  And that can be accomplished with wind, solar, and hydroelectric power.

news.stanford.edu/news/2009/january7/pow...

Here in New Zealand, most of our electricity is generated by renewable energy sources.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector...

If we can do it, the Americans surely can, too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 6:59PM #9
teilhard

... but  UNTIL  we develop both The POLITICAL Will  and the Technologies to REPLACE Coal and Nuclear Electrical Power Generation, we will continue to use a MIX of Generation plans ...

Mar 31, 2012 -- 6:56PM, solfeggio wrote:

If Americans can go to the moon, they can certainly find ways to generate electricity without using nuclear power.  And that can be accomplished with wind, solar, and hydroelectric power.

news.stanford.edu/news/2009/january7/pow...

Here in New Zealand, most of our electricity is generated by renewable energy sources.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector...

If we can do it, the Americans surely can, too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 7:05PM #10
teilhard

Here in Minnesota, e.g., we are among the TOP States in Wind-Power Generation (along with California, Texas, and Iowa) ...

The PROBLEM is that the "Wind Farms" are necessarily located where the WIND blows reliably frequently dependably, which is unfortunately a good long Distance from our Population Centers ... So we have LARGE Amounts of (idle) CAPACITY, and a Public RELUCTANT to allow those huge crackling Power Lines in THEIR Neighborhoods ...

The Solutions AREN'T so simple as just to use more of those funny twisty Light Bulbs and buy more efficient Toasters ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook