Switch to Forum Live View Is Conservatism our Default Ideology
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 12:33PM #1
Esdraelon

www.miller-mccune.com/politics/is-conser...

As usual, the pointy heads make a dispargement on what they believe constitutes 'conservative.'

As agreatsign noted:
Perhaps the findings illustrate the fact that Conservatism is a "no brainer".
What I mean by that is that the brain has to work overtime to try to explain and justify the illogical and dysfunctional realities of liberalism, a feat which typically results in failure unless delusion and ignoring the facts comes into play.
Conservatism comes naturally, never flies in the face of common sense and when applied to real life, works every time.

For the pointy headed types that concocted the "research" which lead to their skewed findings, I say nice try once again attempting to belittle Conservatives.
Liberals do like to prop up their otherwise sagging self esteem, by considering themselves as all knowing, erudite, cultured and enlightened, but in reality they prove Einstein's definition of insanity correct every day.

as pyramid_003 noted:

Let me get this straight . . . looks like they "tested" less than 300 people, their sample populations consisted of drunks coming out of a bar and college students (I wonder if they tested the blood alcohol levels on the college students), the sample populations came from two states (Maine and Arkansas - typical of America? Are any two states typically American?), and they are extrapolating their findings to the entire human race!

Let the grant money flow!!!!

They hit it spot on! Laughing

Edit: corrected coding on out of bounds post

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Mar 30, 2012 - 03:10PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 1:12PM #2
mytmouse57

It's sort of a slippery subject.

I contend that what of what is marketed as "conservative" these day is actually far right wing reactionary.

For example, I went to a Tea Party rally in my community some months ago. Much of the rhetoric I heard being brayed, didn't really sound "conservative." It sounded more like the Brown Shirts. 

Later, I checked with a couple of folks here who I would consider conservative in the old-school sense, and, as I suspected, they were also quite put off by the rhetoric. 

And, if one listens to the current GOP candiates, each trying to be more "conservative" than the other, or attacking Romeny for supposedly being "too liberal" -- well, they don't really sound very conservative. They sound far right wing reactionary.

On the flip side, much of what is sold as "liberal" is actually left-wing ranting. Or, perhaps more accurately, politically correct thought policing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 2:34PM #3
vra

How can there be any serious discussion when stereotypes are being passed around like candy?  There's almost nothing I can say that would be true of all liberals, much like there's nothing I could say that would be true of all conservatives.  If we stereotype them, what's next to stereotype.

Frankly, I prefer to just avoid such meaningless "discussions", and I don't care which group initiates it.  I have one person here at this forum on a block, and he ain't a "conservative", let me tell ya.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 2:41PM #4
Fodaoson

Change is difficult and feared somewhat by most people. Progressive liberalism is change for the betterment of society and individuals, therefore IF conservatism is anti-liberalism then conservatism would be the default   ideology.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 3:07PM #5
Erey

I think in most areas of life being conservative (in the general sense of the word) is the default. 

Everytime you make a change there are a host of unintended consequences to deal with. 

But alot of what the republicans are espousing is change and Dems are for maintaining.  So politicaly it is not always true to definition. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 3:13PM #6
mecdukebec

I'm intrigued how Wingo War Woopers have nested in the conservaytive side and have made common cause for making war on Iran.  I don't think it's such an issue to admit that the Permanent Party of War has become that, but what concerns me, is essentially a "morality" issue, when Iraq was made a mess, and thousands have died, the Wingo War Woopers then say, "God told us to do it; so, it's not our fault." 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 3:28PM #7
mytmouse57

Mar 30, 2012 -- 2:34PM, vra wrote:

How can there be any serious discussion when stereotypes are being passed around like candy?  There's almost nothing I can say that would be true of all liberals, much like there's nothing I could say that would be true of all conservatives.  If we stereotype them, what's next to stereotype.

Frankly, I prefer to just avoid such meaningless "discussions", and I don't care which group initiates it.  I have one person here at this forum on a block, and he ain't a "conservative", let me tell ya.

I don't think any individual's views and ideas can be crammed into any neat package. It will always vary, depending upon the issue and circumstances.

As one local here put it, "I'm as conservative as can be when it makes sense to be, and I'm as liberal as can be, when that makes sense." 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 4:01PM #8
Fodaoson

Mar 30, 2012 -- 12:33PM, Esdraelon wrote:

www.miller-mccune.com/politics/is-conser...

As usual, the pointy heads make a dispargement on what they believe constitutes 'conservative.'

As agreatsign noted:
Perhaps the findings illustrate the fact that Conservatism is a "no brainer".
What I mean by that is that the brain has to work overtime to try to explain and justify the illogical and dysfunctional realities of liberalism, a feat which typically results in failure unless delusion and ignoring the facts comes into play.
Conservatism comes naturally, never flies in the face of common sense and when applied to real life, works every time.

For the pointy headed types that concocted the "research" which lead to their skewed findings, I say nice try once again attempting to belittle Conservatives.
Liberals do like to prop up their otherwise sagging self esteem, by considering themselves as all knowing, erudite, cultured and enlightened, but in reality they prove Einstein's definition of insanity correct every day.

as pyramid_003 noted:

Let me get this straight . . . looks like they "tested" less than 300 people, their sample populations consisted of drunks coming out of a bar and college students (I wonder if they tested the blood alcohol levels on the college students), the sample populations came from two states (Maine and Arkansas - typical of America? Are any two states typically American?), and they are extrapolating their findings to the entire human race!

Let the grant money flow!!!!

“the pointy heads make a disparagement(sic)… pointy headed types: “  bold are disparagements.” Liberals do like to…”

Liberalism ( the real meaning not the Limbaugh/Beck/Fox strawman )

politics political theory stressing individualism: a political ideology with its beginnings in western Europe that rejects authoritarian government and defends freedom of speech, association, and religion, and the right to own property

a political or social philosophy advocating the freedom of the individual, parliamentary systems of government, nonviolent modification of political, social, or economic institutions to assure unrestricted development in all spheres of human endeavor, and governmental guarantees of individual rights and civil liberties

You are attacking your own strawman . It is clear to us Progressive Liberals that you do not understand  the  English Language  The  English/American English  word liberal  is from the latin  liberalis   meaning free.  I do not have to change three languages to redefine it to fit my politics. It defines my politics .  It is what it is.   Liberal, liberalism, liberally are good words  with good meanings.  Ask your Pastor when the plate is being passed for special offerings or at Christmastide; Ask Charities when they are fund raising; ask the  ice cream salesperson when they  making your cone.   

They hit it spot on!

Edit: corrected coding on out of bounds post

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook