Switch to Forum Live View Healthcare in America
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 11:41AM #1
ted08721
Some may find the following video a bit disturbing
What if this woman was your mother or your daughter
This is what might happen if you do not have health insurance when you go to the hospital, you might just find yourself dying on the floor of a jail cell.  

www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-co...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 12:49PM #2
LeahOne

This most unfortunate situation has little to do with 'insurance' and much to do with people's perceptions and the behavior of the woman. 

Police and 'security' personnel are not trained to make medical evaluations.  And medical personnel are not very sympathetic to individuals whom they see as possibly seeking 'pain' meds for other purposes. 

I've been fortunate in having my husband to bring me to the hospital on a Saturday night when I had an inflamed trigeminal nerve (due to an abscess at the root of a tooth) and my BP was dangerously high simply from the pain.  I was also well-nigh incoherent and not very able to 'cooperate' with instructions due to sleep deprivation (this had been developing for about 4 days)....

The ER folks don't usually rush to call physicians or dentists who're not 'on call' at 2 or 3 AM because a patient says they can verify her story..... 

This kind of thing happens much LESS often now, at least if one has regular access to medical care because there are *records* which can be checked electronically:  30 years ago, the ER doc had no way of verifying that my GP had prescribed pain meds which hadn't worked, or that my dentist suspected an abscess but couldn't ID the specific location by X-ray.

Of course it had never occurred to me that a person would drag their Reservist husband out of bed and cause him to miss a drill just to get some narcotics in their system.......  I was completely unaware of the phenomenon of 'recreational' drug use.

It seems that the assorted hospitals did the best they could, checking for DVT/blood clots (which indeed can be fatal!).  This is more of a case of dismissing a poor inarticulate individual as being a 'drug-seeker' in the one instance in very many where there actually was a life-threatening situation.

Seriously, this has got NOTHING to do with 'insurance'.  People *with* insurance do NOT get treated any better than that if they don't behave any differently than that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 2:08PM #3
Cesmom

I agree that the story isn't relevant to having or not having health insurance.  In fact, it says she was covered by medicaid.  I do have to wonder how the hospital missed the blood clots if they performed and correctly examined the results of all of the tests they claimed.

A statement from her sister...

"She was not a drug dealer or a hooker or doing other things that she could've ended up dead for," the sister said. "People assume things because of they way they talk or the way they live or the things they do.

"My sister is not here today because people passed judgement."

Seems to me that she may not have gotten the attention she needed because people passed judgement.  Any way you look at it, it's a very sad case.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 2:32PM #4
Girlchristian

Mar 29, 2012 -- 2:08PM, Cesmom wrote:

I agree that the story isn't relevant to having or not having health insurance.  In fact, it says she was covered by medicaid.  I do have to wonder how the hospital missed the blood clots if they performed and correctly examined the results of all of the tests they claimed.

A statement from her sister...

"She was not a drug dealer or a hooker or doing other things that she could've ended up dead for," the sister said. "People assume things because of they way they talk or the way they live or the things they do.

"My sister is not here today because people passed judgement."

Seems to me that she may not have gotten the attention she needed because people passed judgement.  Any way you look at it, it's a very sad case.

Agree.

The health centers I work with are having trouble with drug-seekers and it is causing them to create tougher policies. One of the health centers that I work with toughened their policy and then the CEO was threatened and had a 'patient' stalking her outside her home. Another one has a policy that if a patient comes in asking for a prescription because they've been prescribed the drug before (but don't have the script) or need it then they are tested for traces of the drug in their system. Over christmas break they had a college kid come in claiming that he needed some ADHD medicine and when he was tested there was none in his system. Turns out, he wanted it to take back and sell on campus not because he actually needed it.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook