Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Who are the world's heaviest drinkers?
2 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 6:24PM #1
solfeggio
It's not the Americans.  Rather, it's the Europeans, who, at a societal level, consume almost double the world average for alcoholic consumption.  And, as a result, the  European region has the highest proportion in the world of total ill health and premature death due to alcohol.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46876882

www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/27/us-eu...

How much does the average European drink?  It comes to something like 12.5 litres of pure alcohol or three glasses of wine a day.  But, of course, there are variations of drinking levels between regions, as well as differences in how much, where, and when people drank.

For example, the heaviest drinkers were in eastern Europe, with the more moderate drinkers in Nordic countries. 

Compare consumption by country here:

www.nationmaster.com/graph/foo_alc_con-f...    

Where does America fit into all of this?  According to the statistics, Americans drink 8.3 litres per capita. 

But, still, alcohol is linked to 75,000 deaths a year in the States.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6089353/ns/health-a...    
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 6:59PM #2
vra

And in Europe, it tends to differ from place to place.  My wife is from Italy, and to be publically drunk is to be considered a slob, and maybe that's the kindest word for it, and this is also generally true in Jewish tradition as well.  OTOH, if one goes to Germany or Sweden, getting drunk for so many is rather standard fare.  The last time I saw some stats on this, Italians consumed well above the norm with alcohol, but like in my family, we mainly consume it at dinner. 

BTW, do you remember the cartoon strip "The Lockhorns"?  One of my favorite pieces is when George's wife (I can't remember her name) was talking to a neighbor woman, and she said "I didn't know that George drank until one day he came home sober" (or something like that).   

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 7:36PM #3
IreneAdler

And is responsible for 195 000 deaths a year in the EU due to e.g. accidents, liver disease, cancers, etc.

ec.europa.eu/health/archive/ph_determina...

www.ias.org.uk/resources/publications/th...

and 1,000 annually in New Zealand:

www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/3867661/...

Which is being called a crisis:

www.alcoholaction.co.nz/background

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 9:39PM #4
Stardove

Who are the world's heaviest drinkers?  Alcoholics who are not in recovery.  Tongue Out

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.  Wink

My son just texted me a picture of him holding his six year chip in AA. 

Oops, I just outed him.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 10:13PM #5
Erey

Mar 28, 2012 -- 9:39PM, Stardove wrote:

Who are the world's heaviest drinkers?  Alcoholics who are not in recovery. 

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. 

Oops, I just outed him.

congrads that is an accomplishment!  I have friends with 17 and 19 year chips.  I imagine the hardest years are the first years. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 10:19PM #6
solfeggio

Yes, congratulations to anybody who is able to beat the addiction to alcohol.  I can only imagine that it must be incredibly difficult to do this.

My brother was a raging alcoholic from the time he was a teenager until he reached his 40th birthday and finally joined AA.  He'll be 65 in a few weeks, and he's been sober for the last 25 years.  My daughter's father-in-law is also a recovering alcoholic who has been a staunch member of AA for many years, as well. He now counsels people who have just joined AA.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 10:32PM #7
loveontheair

Hello,

You cannot compare Europe to America in regards to alcohol. We're much bigger than those little countries. We don't walk to the pub or bar. 

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 10:43PM #8
Stardove

Mar 28, 2012 -- 10:13PM, Erey wrote:

Mar 28, 2012 -- 9:39PM, Stardove wrote:

Who are the world's heaviest drinkers? Alcoholics who are not in recovery. 

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. 

Oops, I just outed him.

congrads that is an accomplishment!  I have friends with 17 and 19 year chips.  I imagine the hardest years are the first years. 

Thank you!  My best gal friend got her 21st chip Nov. 1st.  It was a heck of a Halloween night 21 years ago for her.

Mar 28, 2012 -- 10:19PM, solfeggio wrote:

Yes, congratulations to anybody who is able to beat the addiction to alcohol.  I can only imagine that it must be incredibly difficult to do this.

My brother was a raging alcoholic from the time he was a teenager until he reached his 40th birthday and finally joined AA.  He'll be 65 in a few weeks, and he's been sober for the last 25 years.  My daughter's father-in-law is also a recovering alcoholic who has been a staunch member of AA for many years, as well. He now counsels people who have just joined AA.

Thank you!  Recovery is possible.  I posted a link at the Alcoholic and Recovery forum the other day about a movie coming out Bill W's story.

Mar 28, 2012 -- 10:32PM, loveontheair wrote:

Hello,

You cannot compare Europe to America in regards to alcohol. We're much bigger than those little countries. We don't walk to the pub or bar. 

love

I bet we have a lot more DUIs in America than Europe for this very reason.

Seriously, a number of years back in a mental health class we were told the number one killing drug in America was alcohol.  When you count those who die from related diseases or killed by drunk drivers.

However, my dad is a 90 year old alcoholic, so not every heavy drinker dies early from the drinks they consume.  Go figure?  Must be the wine!

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 2:33PM #9
Marcion

Hands down -the Irish.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 10:59AM #10
mytmouse57

Mar 29, 2012 -- 2:33PM, Marcion wrote:

Hands down -the Irish.

I grew up in an extremely Irish town. (Butte, Montana.)

There's either a bar or a Catholic Church on just about every other corner. 

And St. Paddy's day? A complete circus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook