Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View This time it was a pilot who was erratic
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 11:19PM #1
Stardove

JetBlue flight diverted after captain's 'erratic' behavior

A JetBlue flight bound for Las Vegas made an emergency landing in Texas on Tuesday after the captain acted strangely, was locked out of the cockpit by his co-pilot and was wrestled to the ground by passengers, witnesses and authorities said.

The plane's co-pilot, concerned by the "erratic" behavior, locked the door behind the captain when he left the cockpit during the flight, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

Passengers described to CNN what happened next.

"The pilot ran to the cockpit door, began banging on it and said something to the effect of, 'We've gotta pull the throttle back. We've gotta get this plane down,'" said Laurie Dhue.

"At that point, the two flight attendants tried to subdue him, and then seemingly out of nowhere, about six or seven large guys stormed to the front of the plane and wrestled the captain of the plane down to the ground and had him subdued in a matter of moments. It was really like something out of a movie," she said.

Amateur video of the incident showed a commotion as several men were moving in the aisle. A voice, purportedly that of the pilot, can be heard.

"Oh my God. I'm so distraught!" he shouts. The voice mentions Israel and Iraq.

Continued at link where there are videos

Another flight get diverted to Texas.  Today it was a pilot scare. What is happening in the skies of the USA?  Remember the flight attendent who slide his way out of a job?

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 1:33PM #2
Stardove

JetBlue pilot suspended after 'erratic' behavior triggered emergency

The JetBlue pilot whose behavior prompted an emergency landing Tuesday has been suspended pending further investigation, the company told CNN on Wednesday.

Clayton Osbon was captain of Flight 191 from New York to Las Vegas, which landed in Amarillo, Texas, after crew and passengers subdued him.

Osbon has worked for the company for 12 years, JetBlue spokeswoman Tamara Young added.

CEO Dave Barger said he has known Osbon for "a long time" and that he has always been a "consummate professional."

On NBC's "Today" show, Barger was asked about Osbon's reported erratic behavior, which allegedly involved him screaming and trying to get back into the cockpit after his co-pilot locked him out.

"What happened at altitude is we had a medical situation," he said. But, he added, "it became a security situation."

Without using Osbon's name, Barger said the captain was receiving medical care under the custody of the FBI.

No federal charges have been filed so far, said Kathy Colvin, spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Northern District of Texas.

Continue at link. There is a video at the link

Tony Antolino a passenger on the flight hailed the co-pilot as a hero.

"The co-pilot of the flight, he really -- I think -- is the hero here because he had the sense to recognize that something was going horribly wrong, and he was able to persuade the pilot out of the cockpit," he told CNN.

My daughter works as a flight attendant and from time to time she has dealt with a passenger who needed to be restrained, but I can't remember a pilot acting erratic before this.  Thankfully, the pilot couldn't remember the code to get the cockpit doors open or the flight might not have landed safely.

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 4:54PM #3
Erey

really scary, can you imagine?  Thank Goodness the other pilot was there.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 5:08PM #4
Iwantamotto

Look, I have a vacation to Florida coming up.  *sniffle*  WHY all these news stories about plane issues?  Do you know how hard it is going to be to get my mother on the plane?  LOL.

Thank God we don't get tv anymore.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 5:48PM #5
DotNotInOz

Mar 28, 2012 -- 1:33PM, Stardove wrote:

My daughter works as a flight attendant and from time to time she has dealt with a passenger who needed to be restrained, but I can't remember a pilot acting erratic before this.  Thankfully, the pilot couldn't remember the code to get the cockpit doors open or the flight might not have landed safely.

From the report we heard on this morning's early news, the reason why the pilot couldn't get back into the cockpit was that the co-pilot had the presence of mind to persuade the pilot to check something back far enough in the plane to give the co-pilot time to change the security code on the door's lock and then decide where to try to land the plane to get help.

The security guard who kept the pilot subdued once several passengers were able to wrestle him to the floor said in an interview that he didn't want to think about what might have happened had he and others on their way to a security conference not been on the plane. Due to his training, he was able to put enough of a chokehold on the pilot that the man would lapse into and out of consciousness but wouldn't be severely injured. That takes alertness and skill to accomplish, I should think.

I bet the passengers were terrified. Doesn't leave me eager for the vacation we've got coming up soon and a very long flight.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 9:06PM #6
Stardove

Thanks Dot for that information.  I didn't know the co-pilot had changed the code or that they could even do that. If there are empty seats many times you will find pilots, flight attendants and or their family seating in them.  It was good to have another pilot handy, for sure.

All my hubby and have to do to fly is list for the flight and show up at the airport with our driver's license.  There are no more paper passes with the airlines daughter and her husband work for.

Iwantamotto, may your trip be pleasant and trouble free.  I'm sure it will be.

Erey, I would imagine it was very scarey and thankfully the passenger were there to help out the crew.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 9:29PM #7
DotNotInOz

Glad to be able to clarify for you, Stardove, what prevented the pilot's getting back into the cockpit. I didn't know they had the ability to do that either. Sounds like a wise precaution to me just in case something so unexpected as this occurs.

I feel for the pilot's wife who was quoted as saying she can't begin to imagine what went wrong, that he'd shown no indications at all of something troubling him or odd behavior. This must be a terrible shock for her. I hope she has a good support system. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 9:33PM #8
Stardove

It may be time for the co-pilot to get his wings into the other chair.  Wink

The co-pilot certainly kept his cool and acted accordingly.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 1:22AM #9
rangerken

This will probably be on my mind the next time I head South because Jet Blue is my airline of choice when I go to Florida to visit my mother.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 7:26PM #10
DotNotInOz

A judge ordered a psychiatric evaluation, which I think most people would agree is appropriate.

I think Osbon's wife is handling the situation graciously and admirably considering what a shock and strain this all must be for her. She has announced that after her formal statement containing the following remarks, there will be no interviews given and no more statements issued:

"We would like to recognize the Crew and passengers of Flight 191 for their effective yet compassionate handling of the situation. It is our belief, as Clayton's family, that while he was clearly distressed, he was not intentionally violent toward anyone. We know you were placed in an awful situation and we appreciate your ability to respond professionally."

Source

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook