Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Occupy vs Religion..Why the media ignores the LARGER group
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 7:55PM #11
Roodog

Mar 27, 2012 -- 1:16PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Santorum has lost the Catholic vote everywhere. He does very well among extreme right wing Protestant Christian Evangelicals. Go figure!

That scares the hell out of me.

Not only for democracy but also for freedom of religion.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 8:10PM #12
Mandalatree

I do not normally incorporate politics into my Responsive Universe blog, but after reading this Rick Santorum article on the Huffington Post, I just about threw up in my mouth. I will apologize now if I insult any readers, but I have to speak my mind…

The GOP candidate was responding to comments he made last October when he said that he “almost threw up” after reading JFK’s 1960 speech in which he declared his commitment to the separation of church and state.

The republican candidate has been hammering the religious rhetoric in an effort to court evangelical voters ahead of Super Tuesday. Last week, he questioned Obama’s spiritual beliefs.

“[Obama believes in] some phony ideal, some phony theology … not a theology based on the Bible, a different theology,” he said.

“I don’t believe in an America where the separation of church and state are absolute,” he told ‘This Week’ host George Stephanopoulos. “The idea that the church can have no influence or no involvement in the operation of the state is absolutely antithetical to the objectives and vision of our country…to say that people of faith have no role in the public square? You bet that makes me want to throw up.”

Here is the problem Rick: The people of “Faith” you speak of are the zealous Christian religious right. I guess you are so racist and ignorant that we exclude all other religions and faith from American Government? First off, how dare you judge Obama or anyone else about their religious beliefs. How can one truly be religiously enlightened when one is so pious that they think they have the authority to judge someone else’s faith. Funny, I thought one of the principles America stood for was freedom of religion and freedom from religious persecution. Religion does not belong in our Government other than the law to protect it. Santorum is basically saying that religion and state should stand together married as one based on the Bible. How is that any different than Muslim extremist states enforcing strict religious law on its citizens? Ever heard of the Taliban? Is there a middle point to Christian extremists? How far to the right would Santorum go if given a long leash? Are we to trust Rick Santorum when it comes to our faith?

I know there are plenty of religious crazies out there that pipe off from time to time. How about that radio evangelist who keeps giving us new doomsday forecasts? The scary thing is, Ricky is neck in neck with Romney in a primary race within the most powerful country in the world. That is scary.

Here we are sitting well within the event horizon of the information age. Humans have made some amazing medical and technological discoveries within the last decade. As a species, we continue to evolve within this amazing Responsive Universe. Yet, when I hear the ignorance and racism drool out of Rick Santorums mouth, I see our social evolution back-sliding into a tar pit. Sorry to be so terse, but Rick Santorum  makes me want to throw up.

John C. Bader

www.responsiveuniverse.com

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 2:35PM #13
Druac

Mar 27, 2012 -- 8:10PM, Mandalatree wrote:

I do not normally incorporate politics into my Responsive Universe blog, but after reading this Rick Santorum article on the Huffington Post, I just about threw up in my mouth. I will apologize now if I insult any readers, but I have to speak my mind…

Well stated & +1!

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 2:45PM #14
Jasr

Mar 27, 2012 -- 7:51PM, ted08721 wrote:

Catholics support the Occupy Movement, here is our Catholic Peace and Social Justice group taking part in Occupy protest in Washington D.C. this past October.

Zafod, why didn't the MSM report this? It's an outrage!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 6:15PM #15
ted08721

We also have for this political year a group that is more intuned to the same gospel values of the Occupy Movement.
Yes you heard me right the Occupy Movement stands for the same values as the Gospels, that why it is so easy for many Christian groups to get involved, I would also add Jewish groups and Muslim groups as well as other belief systems.

From the link below:

"Will those decisions be based on the common good* or will they serve only to enrich the already super-wealthy and divide us further? Will they foster economic justice and peace?

"As faithful citizens guided by the Gospel command to protect those who are most vulnerable and hold accountable those with power, we know we cannot afford to “sit this one out.”

commongood2012.org/about-initiative

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 6:30PM #16
Erey

Mar 27, 2012 -- 1:23PM, Druac wrote:

MSM isn't going to bother if it doesn't have any WOW factor for their brain-dead viewers. For the MSM, it is all about ratings and NOT about the "news". Maybe the Catholics should sh*t in the streets and break windows if they want attention from the MSM.

OMG, that is hilarious!  So true, sadly true but funny.  If I were a more organized poster I would save this for posterity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook