Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Moloch in the statehouse
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 1:20PM #11
mecdukebec

I haven't heard Moloch's name invoked since He slaughtered people in Iraq.  It's interesting how the gods come back, once folks aren't looking. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 7:52PM #12
Roodog

Which Moloch are you talking about Mec?

The ancient Ammonite deity or the US' Military-Industrial Complex?

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 9:43PM #13
costrel

Mar 27, 2012 -- 1:20PM, mecdukebec wrote:

I haven't heard Moloch's name invoked since He slaughtered people in Iraq.  It's interesting how the gods come back, once folks aren't looking. 

That means you haven't read the second part of Allen Ginsberg's Howl

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 11:49PM #14
Roodog

Mar 27, 2012 -- 12:31PM, catboxer wrote:

This is nothing short of a takeover of government at the state level by a monied oligarchy.

From the Krugman piece.

Many ALEC-drafted bills pursue standard conservative goals: union-busting, undermining environmental protection, tax breaks for corporations and the wealthy. ALEC seems, however, to have a special interest in privatization — that is, on turning the provision of public services, from schools to prisons, over to for-profit corporations. And some of the most prominent beneficiaries of privatization, such as the online education company K12 Inc. and the prison operator Corrections Corporation of America, are, not surprisingly, very much involved with the organization.

What this tells us, in turn, is that ALEC’s claim to stand for limited government and free markets is deeply misleading. To a large extent the organization seeks not limited government but privatized government, in which corporations get their profits from taxpayer dollars, dollars steered their way by friendly politicians. In short, ALEC isn’t so much about promoting free markets as it is about expanding crony capitalism.

This is opinion of course, but bolstered by facts.

I know. Facts are stupid things.

Cat,

You are going to have to believe me on this:

I have been working for various levels of Government for over 30 years and it is my experience that there is less satisfaction and more cost with privatized agencies rather than having the Government handle such matters themselves.  Take a look at at the Postal Service, which was the one thing that the Constitution mandated Civil Government to attend to. Since it has been privatized, we have mail services slashed while we pay more and more for less service.

What scares the hell out of me is having schools being totally privatized and having those who cannot afford to pay for their kid's schooling doing  completely without. The privatization of prisons and contracting security duties to private corporations like Blackwater and Wackenhut or whatever they now call themselves would be catastrophic. If these mercenaries and rent a cops have their way the atrocities perpetrated in Baghdad will be perpetrated in Boston and Baton Rouge and our people will not have the Constitutional protections like they would if regular military and police ran the show. The same would go for prisons, it would be a civil liberties nightmare.

Some things belong in the hands of the Government alone!

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook