Switch to Forum Live View Should Pictures be Shown?
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 9:14AM #1
arielg

PARIS (Reuters) - French President Nicolas Sarkozy begged television networks on Tuesday not to broadcast video footage filmed by an al Qaeda-inspired gunman of his spate of deadly shootings in southern France this month.

News Link

Edit: added news link

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Mar 28, 2012 - 12:11AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 9:25AM #2
CharikIeia

Why not? They exist and will be shown somewhere and somehow anyway.

But it may indeed be smart not to force the out-of-covenience TV viewers to confront it, by showing lots of it on the main news outlets.

Produce a sanitised short clip, and let interested people look it up on the internet...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 10:32AM #3
TemplarS

I have mixed feelings.  I don't like censorship.

But I can see the other side. Presumably there is the fear that showing this might incite retaliatory violence against Muslims, given the current climate.  Also, (though I don't know what is on these clips) I can see trying to be sensitive to the families of the victims, assuming the clip shows their loved ones being blown away by this moron.  I can understand that this is  not something they would want to be seen by the entire world, especially the children.  And maybe there is also the fear of sparking copycats among the loonies, though to tell the truth, it seems these people have little need of such encouragement.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 2:35AM #4
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2012 - 5:12AM #5
Estacia

Post them it is up to the viewer wheather or not to view the material.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook