Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Afghans: U.S. Paid $50,000 per shooting spree death
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 1:26PM #21
mountain_man

Mar 26, 2012 -- 1:23PM, Esdraelon wrote:

And you still persist in the ring-around-the-rosey....

It's the only game you know.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 1:33PM #22
Esdraelon

Mar 26, 2012 -- 1:26PM, mountain_man wrote:

And you still persist in the ring-around-the-rosey....

It's the only game you know.

ROFLMAO! Sigh. Then obviously you cannot explain, preferring to to pick and choose what you can throw back. I've noticed that with practically every poster you disagree with, YOU make it personal in your initial response to them. A sarcastic, arrogant, disdainful put down.Just as your Did Father_Oblivion....guess you and he have had some 'run-ins' here already.

Again, if you don't have anything that even remotely approaches a discussion, again, I'll pass.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 1:44PM #23
BDboy

Mar 26, 2012 -- 1:18PM, mountain_man wrote:

Mar 26, 2012 -- 12:50PM, Esdraelon wrote:

Of course he was not 'under orders', I'm not suggesting that he was.....

You by trying to say this was part of a war. His murder spree had nothing to do with any war. That's a fact that you can't brush off as an "opinion."

And you still persist in the ring-around-the-rosey....it IS part of the freaking war. It's your Opining, and an Opine it remains. I asked you to Explain your opinion, if you must insist, are you able to do that?

>>>>>> Members of army are well trained and most of the time do their job well under a lot of stress. Most of the time in these very difficult situations they deliver without being immoral or harming innocent people.

During war a trained person would only attack when he/she is under attack. People spend countless hours in training to protect innocent people and attack the "Bad guys".

So I am reluctant to say attacking unarmed civilians (Children among them) is any part of "War". Neither the Afghan civilians are enemies of America. Last time I checked these Afghans are the one who ended the cold war and made significant sacrifices to protect the "Free world". So maybe the "Unarmed civlians" can expect to be treated with minimum dignity by US army.

US army is respected by most people all over the world. This sort of idiotic killings are expected from Libyan army not US army.

My two cents....

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 2:36PM #24
arielg

It had EVERYTHING to do with war.

He is wearing a uniform and killing people, as any one who goes to war is supposed to do. 

He just went a little further than those who drop bombs on unknown villages by acting without a specific order. The "bad apple" explanation has been used too many times to make it believable. Brutality is part of war.

"Everything is fair in love and war".  Once war is justified, anything can be justified.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 2:36PM #25
Esdraelon

Mar 26, 2012 -- 1:44PM, BDboy wrote:

Mar 26, 2012 -- 1:18PM, mountain_man wrote:

Mar 26, 2012 -- 12:50PM, Esdraelon wrote:

Of course he was not 'under orders', I'm not suggesting that he was.....

You by trying to say this was part of a war. His murder spree had nothing to do with any war. That's a fact that you can't brush off as an "opinion."

And you still persist in the ring-around-the-rosey....it IS part of the freaking war. It's your Opining, and an Opine it remains. I asked you to Explain your opinion, if you must insist, are you able to do that?

>>>>>> Members of army are well trained and most of the time do their job well under a lot of stress. Most of the time in these very difficult situations they deliver without being immoral or harming innocent people.

During war a trained person would only attack when he/she is under attack. People spend countless hours in training to protect innocent people and attack the "Bad guys".

So I am reluctant to say attacking unarmed civilians (Children among them) is any part of "War". Neither the Afghan civilians are enemies of America. Last time I checked these Afghans are the one who ended the cold war and made significant sacrifices to protect the "Free world". So maybe the "Unarmed civlians" can expect to be treated with minimum dignity by US army.

US army is respected by most people all over the world. This sort of idiotic killings are expected from Libyan army not US army.

My two cents....

Totally reasonable position...in fact I tend to agree with that, still, PTSD IS a part of the war, and the man was on his fourth tour, I know men who came back and committed suicide after two. 

If people want to call this a defense, be my guest.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 2:41PM #26
mytmouse57

Mar 25, 2012 -- 10:33AM, christine3 wrote:

Gee, ya think the U.S. could spare it?  Wrongful death suits bring U.S. families millions of dollars in comparison.  I guess life in Afghanistan isn't worth as much as it is here.

news.yahoo.com/afghans-us-paid-50-000-pe...

Given history and present circumstances, Afghans have a much more matter-of-fact perception of death than Americans do. 

For them, it's probably more about the principle -- getting the U.S. to fully admit fault. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 2:42PM #27
Esdraelon

Mar 26, 2012 -- 2:36PM, arielg wrote:

It had EVERYTHING to do with war.

He is wearing a uniform and killing people, as any one who goes to war is supposed to do. 

He just went a little further than those who drop bombs on unknown villages by acting without a specific order. The "bad apple" explanation has been used too many times to make it believable. Brutality is part of war.

"Everything is fair in love and war".  Once war is justified, anything can be justified.

I never believed PTSD was but a contrived malady until I saw it too many times with my own eyes in those I knew.

So ya'll believe that this guy sit and premeditated this killing?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 2:45PM #28
mountain_man

Mar 26, 2012 -- 1:33PM, Esdraelon wrote:

ROFLMAO! Sigh. Then obviously you cannot explain...

I explained. You refused to listen.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 2:47PM #29
Esdraelon

Mar 26, 2012 -- 2:41PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Mar 25, 2012 -- 10:33AM, christine3 wrote:

Gee, ya think the U.S. could spare it?  Wrongful death suits bring U.S. families millions of dollars in comparison.  I guess life in Afghanistan isn't worth as much as it is here.

news.yahoo.com/afghans-us-paid-50-000-pe...

Given history and present circumstances, Afghans have a much more matter-of-fact perception of death than Americans do. 

For them, it's probably more about the principle -- getting the U.S. to fully admit fault. 

Considering the fact that one nation after another has deemd it fit to occupy, death is all they know.

$50,000 is approximately 100 years average wages

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 2:50PM #30
Esdraelon

Mar 26, 2012 -- 2:45PM, mountain_man wrote:

Mar 26, 2012 -- 1:33PM, Esdraelon wrote:

ROFLMAO! Sigh. Then obviously you cannot explain...

I explained. You refused to listen.

Sure, suit yourself. I'll talk to BDboy, and others he can carry on an intelligent conversation with point of fact debate, not some imaginary 'explanations' that cannot walk like a duck, and sure as blazes cannot quack.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook