Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Student Loan Forgiveness Act
3 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 2:50PM #1
Girlchristian
news.yahoo.com/learn-student-loan-forgiv...

On March 8, Congressman Hansen Clarke (D-Mich.) introduced H.R. 4170, the Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012. The act would create a new 10/10 Loan Repayment Plan (with new forgiveness provisions), cap interest rates for all federal loans, greatly improve Public Service Loan Forgiveness, and convert some borrowers' private loans to federal loans.

There is more information in the article about the details.

I doubt this will go anywhere, but I have to say that I simply do not agree with or support this. Before anyone hollers, I still have around $25k in student loan debt so it's not as though I don't understand how hard it is to pay them back. However, if you borrow money then you should pay it back, period. Those with student loans have multiple opportunities for deferrment due to financial hardship.

Thoughts?

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 3:12PM #2
Iwantamotto

When I became a CNA, the facility where I was hired paid for the training in a local community college in return for a mandated length of employment (or pay back the tuition).  Instead of loans and to help people get jobs post graduation, perhaps we should just get rid of the loan thing altogether and do this paid training thingie.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 3:16PM #3
Girlchristian

Mar 22, 2012 -- 3:12PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

When I became a CNA, the facility where I was hired paid for the training in a local community college in return for a mandated length of employment (or pay back the tuition).  Instead of loans and to help people get jobs post graduation, perhaps we should just get rid of the loan thing altogether and do this paid training thingie.

My husband's company paid for a lot of his schooling and will pay for his MBA if he decides to get it in exchange for a mandated length of employment. My company, a NFP, simply can't afford to do that (or really even afford professional development at all) for employees. It's a good thing if you can work for a company that has tuition reimbursement!

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 3:22PM #4
BBarton

Perhaps if we weren't cyphering our funds into the black hole of exported wars and manipulation/influence, we could afford to educate or train our young people who'll be saddled with the national debt the black hole is incurring faster than gravity. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 3:24PM #5
Iwantamotto

Supposedly a lot of the places where I've worked have that, but just try going to college and then getting them to pay up.

Anyway, I realize many businesses can't afford that kind of thing, but if businesses partnered up (not even the same kind of business, maybe just similar businesses or businesses all involved in the different parts of product delivery), then maybe costs could be spread out a bit.

What we need is a flexible educational system where you don't go to school for several years and find out your "career" went obsolete before you had your graduation ceremony.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 5:15PM #6
arielg

Those who complain about how hard it is to pay  loans for education  should work digging ditches and picking strawberries for a while to appreciate the advantages of an  education.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 5:23PM #7
ted08721

College is expensive today and is skyrocketing with less jobs available and many that pay less than they used to.

Many kids are left with student loans well over 100 grand , some as high as 200 grand or more if they go on for their masters, and that amount adds up if they have to defer their loans because there are no jobs .

To say an 18 yr. old kid should realise what they are geting themselves into is a bit much when they did not know 911 was going to happen or our country was going to spend trillions on wars, Wall Street was going to rob everybody, the collapse of our economy.

If you don't go to college these days forget about it not everybody can hit 3 pts.shots or pull down 15-20 rebounds per game.

Back when you did not need more than a high school deploma it was ok for school to be freethrough 12th grade but now when you need college for a job that pays enough to afford skyrocketing healthcare, housing and $4 a gallon gas, no longer is college a luxury.

That is why I say end all wars, cut the excessive military spending in half, with all the nukes we already have we do not need to keep feeding the military contractors billions on top of billions, tax the 1% , close the loop holes for corporations, have universal healthcare, healthcare should not be for profit, forgive excessive student and home loans and live in peace, and don't say it can't be done, the problem is that we have never tried it before and it has to start with the most powerful nation in the world not some tiny island nation to work

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 6:40PM #8
Druac

It isn't easy, but a college degree is not necessary to have a good career or get a decent technical job in America. Sure, if you want to command a top salary, and your goal is to make as much money as possible, I would strongly suggest you start with a degree.

Otherwise, it is completely doable and can actually be very rewarding to be a self educated member of this society…it also helps in ones goal to be a free-thinker…if that happens to be important to you...it was to me.

- Me
Self Educated Programmer & It Manager/Webmaster

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 7:55PM #9
ted08721

Mar 22, 2012 -- 6:40PM, Druac wrote:

It isn't easy, but a college degree is not necessary to have a good career or get a decent technical job in America. Sure, if you want to command a top salary, and your goal is to make as much money as possible, I would strongly suggest you start with a degree.

Otherwise, it is completely doable and can actually be very rewarding to be a self educated member of this society…it also helps in ones goal to be a free-thinker…if that happens to be important to you...it was to me.

- Me
Self Educated Programmer & It Manager/Webmaster

For the hell of it I google search a Webmaster job
And as I thought it  had some heavy requirements including a college degree, which tells me  there is something that would separate you from your average 18 year old kid coming out of high school today.

I do know a person without a college degree that has played a major role in IT for some of the larger Wall Street type banks without a college education but he is exceptionally smart and sharp and happened to be in the right place at the right time to get noticed; he was well into the six figure salary, I recall he was involved when the towers went down on 911 he was involved with setting up some kind of micro wave system across the river to the Jersey side, I don't know much detail but it sounded impressive and again this was from someone without a college degree .

Education

Bachelor of Science or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics.

Post Secondary Web Design

Required Experience

Typically this requires 5 years or more years experience in the following

• Proven Webmaster Track Record
  • Content Management
  • Java, JScript, .NET, Python, Perl and other Development Experience
  • HTML, Ajax and Flash Experience
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 11:44PM #10
aarroottoonn

Mar 22, 2012 -- 2:50PM, Girlchristian wrote:

news.yahoo.com/learn-student-loan-forgiv...

On March 8, Congressman Hansen Clarke (D-Mich.) introduced H.R. 4170, the Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012. The act would create a new 10/10 Loan Repayment Plan (with new forgiveness provisions), cap interest rates for all federal loans, greatly improve Public Service Loan Forgiveness, and convert some borrowers' private loans to federal loans.

There is more information in the article about the details.

I doubt this will go anywhere, but I have to say that I simply do not agree with or support this. Before anyone hollers, I still have around $25k in student loan debt so it's not as though I don't understand how hard it is to pay them back. However, if you borrow money then you should pay it back, period. Those with student loans have multiple opportunities for deferrment due to financial hardship.

Thoughts?

It is a horrible idea, that directly subsidizes those that go to college with money from everyone else, including those that choose not to go. It is yet another example of encouraging bad faith efforts and moral hazard. I too have lots of student loans, so I understand the costs, and things could be done to help, including allowing at least a portion to be declared in bankruptcy, but this is a truly dreadful plan.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook