Switch to Forum Live View Yosemite Sky Islands.
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 1:29PM #1
mountain_man

This may not be a "hot" topic, but it is cool. This is why I live near, and work in, Yosemite. I've been to most of the places in this video. The feeling of standing in those places cannot be described with mere words. These are also the places that will die as climate change progresses.

In case the video doesn't work, here's the link to the video.

Yosemite Releases Five Preliminary Management Plans

Edit: link to news added.  (HTZ is for current news items.)

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Mar 24, 2012 - 01:17PM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 1:33PM #2
Esdraelon

Very Nice

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 1:45PM #3
mainecaptain

Oh David it is breath taking. Thank you for sharing.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 2:37PM #4
mountain_man

Mar 21, 2012 -- 1:45PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Oh David it is breath taking. Thank you for sharing.

I'm glad you liked it. I had to share. I haven't been on one of those mountains in too long of a time. Much of that was filmed on the ridge to Mt. Dana. The trail is not that hard but the high altitude makes it harder than it looks. The trail starts at 10,000 feet and goes UP from there. The view from there is beyond words. When I stand on a mountain like that I get this deep, indescribable, feeling that I'm home.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 3:29PM #5
farragut

'Tis beautiful. Thanks. I reckon that there are probably scads of such beauties in our national parks; I regret that I've never been in position to visit any of them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 4:11PM #6
mountain_man

Mar 21, 2012 -- 3:29PM, farragut wrote:

'Tis beautiful. Thanks. I reckon that there are probably scads of such beauties in our national parks; I regret that I've never been in position to visit any of them.

You should find, or make, the time. There are many parks that I will never be able to visit, but it is comforting to know that they are being protected for all humanity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 4:22PM #7
Girlchristian

Thanks for sharing Dave!

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 4:32PM #8
TemplarS

Dave, you are a lucky man!

I've been in the valley, but never up high.  Maybe next time (though, being a continent away, I'm not sure when that might be...)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 5:20PM #9
mountain_man

Mar 21, 2012 -- 4:32PM, TemplarS wrote:

Dave, you are a lucky man!

I've been in the valley, but never up high.  Maybe next time (though, being a continent away, I'm not sure when that might be...)

I'm amazed at the amount of visitors from other countries. It is not uncommon to hear 5 or more different languages in one day in Yosemite. The Valley has it's own beauty, but being alone on the top of a mountain is a unique experience.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 2:15PM #10
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook