Page 1 of 33  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 33 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Killing an innocent boy
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 7:10AM #1
Kwinters
This boy was executed by a man who should have NEVER had access to a gun!

Florida shooting renews debate over 'stand your ground' laws
Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 7:28AM #2
Nepenthe

Why shouldn't he have access to a gun?  I saw no evidence in the posted article relating to mental illness or being unfit for a gun purchase.

The problem here is not the law.  Like other situations, the problem lies with law enforcement and prosecution.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 8:45AM #3
arielg

The problem lies with the cowboy mentality that equates guns with security.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 8:51AM #4
Kwinters

Mar 21, 2012 -- 7:28AM, Nepenthe wrote:

Why shouldn't he have access to a gun?  I saw no evidence in the posted article relating to mental illness or being unfit for a gun purchase.

The problem here is not the law.  Like other situations, the problem lies with law enforcement and prosecution.

video.msnbc.msn.com/newsnation/46786334/...

You hear the boy screaming for help and then a minute or two later a shot from this guy that law enforcement has yet to arrest!

The man was a menace and mentally unstable.

And yet it was the dead black boy's body that the police tested for drugs!  He was screaming for help when the man executed him.  It is horrifying that this man was allowed to wander around armed.

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 9:24AM #5
Girlchristian

Mar 21, 2012 -- 8:51AM, Kwinters wrote:

You hear the boy screaming for help and then a minute or two later a shot from this guy that law enforcement has yet to arrest!

And yet it was the dead black boy's body that the police tested for drugs!  He was screaming for help when the man executed him.  It is horrifying that this man was allowed to wander around armed.

With no history of mental illness or instability, how exactly would you have kept him from getting a gun? He met all of the qualifications for purchasing a gun so unless you're proposing we ban all guns, what would you have liked done?

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 9:55AM #6
teilhard

Obviously, we need BETTER Gun Laws in The USA ... Unfortunately, The SCOTUS recently ruled that Gun Ownership in Amerika is a near Absolute Right ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 10:15AM #7
Kwinters

Mar 21, 2012 -- 9:24AM, Girlchristian wrote:

With no history of mental illness or instability, how exactly would you have kept him from getting a gun? He met all of the qualifications for purchasing a gun so unless you're proposing we ban all guns, what would you have liked done?

I would have liked for this boy to be alive instead of that lunatic walking around with a gun, repeatedly phoning the police for weeks on end. And for the cops to not arrest someone who clearly executed an innocent boy.

Did you watch the video I linked? How much do you really know about this guy?

www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-...

'ABC News reported Tuesday that Trayvon was talking on his cellphone to a teenage girl whose call logs show she was on the phone with the 17-year-old boy in the moments before Zimmerman shot him.

"He said this man was watching him, so he put his hoodie on. He said he lost the man," Martin's friend told ABC. "I asked Trayvon to run, and he said he was going to walk fast. I told him to run but he said he was not going to run."

Eventually he would run, said the girl, thinking that he'd managed to escape. But suddenly the strange man was back, cornering Martin.

"Trayvon said, 'What, are you following me for,' and the man said, 'What are you doing here.' Next thing I hear is somebody pushing, and somebody pushed Trayvon because the head set just fell. I called him again and he didn't answer the phone."

The line went dead. Besides screams heard on 911 calls that night as Martin and Zimmerman scuffled, those were the last words he said.'

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 10:33AM #8
Girlchristian

Mar 21, 2012 -- 10:15AM, Kwinters wrote:

I would have liked for this boy to be alive instead of that lunatic walking around with a gun, repeatedly phoning the police for weeks on end. And for the cops to not arrest someone who clearly executed an innocent boy.

'ABC News reported Tuesday that Trayvon was talking on his cellphone to a teenage girl whose call logs show she was on the phone with the 17-year-old boy in the moments before Zimmerman shot him.

"He said this man was watching him, so he put his hoodie on. He said he lost the man," Martin's friend told ABC. "I asked Trayvon to run, and he said he was going to walk fast. I told him to run but he said he was not going to run."

Eventually he would run, said the girl, thinking that he'd managed to escape. But suddenly the strange man was back, cornering Martin.

"Trayvon said, 'What, are you following me for,' and the man said, 'What are you doing here.' Next thing I hear is somebody pushing, and somebody pushed Trayvon because the head set just fell. I called him again and he didn't answer the phone."

The line went dead. Besides screams heard on 911 calls that night as Martin and Zimmerman scuffled, those were the last words he said.'

Well, we all would like for this boy to be alive and the man in jail, but that's not what you said. You said he shouldn't have had a gun in the first place, but he met all of the qualifications according to the laws in his area so other than banning guns completely, how would you propose that he be kept from getting a gun?

Yes, I've watched the video and read every article I can find about it. Obviously the man needs to go to jail and was not acting in self-defense.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 10:49AM #9
Kwinters

Mar 21, 2012 -- 10:33AM, Girlchristian wrote:

Mar 21, 2012 -- 10:15AM, Kwinters wrote:

Well, we all would like for this boy to be alive and the man in jail, but that's not what you said. You said he shouldn't have had a gun in the first place, but he met all of the qualifications according to the laws in his area so other than banning guns completely, how would you propose that he be kept from getting a gun?

Yes, I've watched the video and read every article I can find about it. Obviously the man needs to go to jail and was not acting in self-defense.

Someone who 'appoints' himself a neighborhood watch captain, and who phones the police 40+ times reporting non-crimes should be considered in need of mental help and have their guns removed.

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 12:17PM #10
Unworthyone

Here is what has been reported so far:

1. Zimmerman called 911 to report 'a suspicious person' in the neighborhood, and he is following said person.  Zimmerman is told not to follow the 'suspicious person' by the dispatch operator.  Zimmerman ignores the dispatch operator, saying "these guys always get away."

2. The 17-year old calls his girlfriend and says he is being followed by a stranger.  She tells him to run.  He says he will walk fast, but eventually he runs.

3. Trayvon is eventually cornered by Zimmerman, who demands to know what he is up to.

4. A scuffle occurs, and Trayvon is fatally shot by Zimmerman.

5. The police arrive and conclude that Zimmerman was within his rights under Florida law to kill Trayvon, and they do not arrest Zimmerman.

It is apparent that Zimmerman was the one who initiated the confrontation.  There is no evidence that Trayvon was seeking out Zimmerman.

Therefore can we conclude that under Florida law, it is acceptable to initiate a confrontation with a total stranger, even when told not to by police, and if that stranger resists, one can kill the individual without fear of reprisal from law enforcement officials by simply stating 'I was in fear for my life?'

I can see it now. A couple of well-armed rednecks walk into a Black neighborhood bar on a Saturday night and declare "We're here to kick some MF Black asses!" As long as they truthfully state "We were in fear for our lives, and we stood our ground" they can justify whatever happens.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 33  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 33 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook