Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Ah...So "It's Too Soon For a White First Lady?"
6 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 4:19PM #21
Unworthyone

Mar 25, 2012 -- 4:12PM, IreneAdler wrote:

Just wondering: given Robert DeNiro made the comment, why didn’t Newt (or any one else offended) ask that Mr. DeNiro offer apology? After all, he made the comment.

Irene.

The answer is because those 'offended' needed to make as much political hay out of this as possible. Evolutions like this are few and far between and usually very short-lived.   It was far more advantageous to demand an apology from the president, as if he had anything to do with the comments, than to focus their feined outrage at DeNiro.

Newt Gingrich didn’t appreciate the irony. The presidential contender and former House speaker called the comment “inexcusable” and demanded an apology from Mr. Obama ...

“Some men see things as they are and say, why; I dream things that never were and say, why not.” Robert F. Kennedy, 1968
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 6:13PM #22
Fodaoson

It is too soon for White first Lady; It is four years too soon.Wink

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 6:15PM #23
Fodaoson

Of course with Gingrich the First Lady would be replaced  by a newer model  probably

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 7:11PM #24
IreneAdler

Mar 25, 2012 -- 6:15PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Of course with Gingrich the First Lady would be replaced  by a newer model  probably

Heard that!

Irene

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 7:50PM #25
jane2

Won't happen but could you even imagine Callista as First Lady ????

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 10:45AM #26
Esdraelon

Mar 25, 2012 -- 7:50PM, jane2 wrote:

Won't happen but could you even imagine Callista as First Lady ????

NO....... not by any stretch.....I'll put a clothespin on my nose and vote for Romney if he is the nominee....

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 8:27PM #27
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 8:47PM #28
voice-crying

Mar 20, 2012 -- 6:24PM, Esdraelon wrote:

Wonder what the reaction would be had a Republican said this................

I'm sure they would laugh since all the "first ladies" have been white save-one!

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 10:06PM #29
Erey

I think it is absoultely true that if for instance Herman Cain won the presidency that some republican latter would make the same crack and then the democrats would run around with their heads exploding they would be so rabidly outraged. Right now I am imagining a few sanctimonious Bnet democrats and how they would respond.  Oh the threads and the outrage would fly!

On the face of it, the comment was tacky and insensitive.  But this guy is an actor and I think can get away with more.  I am not prepared to get too upset over this. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 11:51PM #30
Unworthyone

Apr 2, 2012 -- 10:06PM, Erey wrote:

On the face of it, the comment was tacky and insensitive.  But this guy is an actor and I think can get away with more.  I am not prepared to get too upset over this.

Again, it was irony. It was throwing it back in the faces of those who, in 2008 said "It's too soon for a black president."

And what is the republican response?  Demand an apology ... from OBAMA! As if he was the one who said it!  Maybe under the Affordable Healthcare Act, sense of humor implants will be covered.  We can only hope.

“Some men see things as they are and say, why; I dream things that never were and say, why not.” Robert F. Kennedy, 1968
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook