Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Ah...So "It's Too Soon For a White First Lady?"
6 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 9:03PM #11
jane2

Mar 20, 2012 -- 9:00PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Mar 20, 2012 -- 8:11PM, Esdraelon wrote:

By the way, there is actually nothing offensive about the joke...

Sez you.

I can understand why Mrs. Obama was offended.

I hope I live long enough to see the day when no one will give a care what color the president and family are...or whether or not they're religious.

THAT will represent some actual social progress.

I didn't read that Michelle Obama was offended--Newt was.......................

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 9:13PM #12
Ms.maryb
Wow! Some of the things that come out of our minds/hearts. . .I hope I can celebrate that "wonderful" day when its all about your love not preferences too!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 3:41AM #13
DotNotInOz

Mar 20, 2012 -- 9:03PM, jane2 wrote:

Sez you.

I hope I live long enough to see the day when no one will give a care what color the president and family are...or whether or not they're religious.

Jane, I was reacting based upon just having read the following: Almost immediately, White House aides scrambled to make it clear that De Niro's comment "was inappropriate," said the First Lady's Campaign Press Secretary, Olivia Alair.

omg.yahoo.com/blogs/now/robert-niro-apol...

I doubt that Mrs. Obama's press secretary would have said anything had the First Lady been amused even though aides have sometimes been overly zealous about damage control.

Call me stodgy if you like, but I didn't think it funny after all the brouhaha there's been about Obama's supposedly being Muslim, a religion many Americans associate with non-whites.

I'd like to see people get beyond what color someone's skin is.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 4:33AM #14
jane2

Mar 21, 2012 -- 3:41AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Mar 20, 2012 -- 9:03PM, jane2 wrote:

Sez you.

Jane, I was reacting based upon just having read the following: Almost immediately, White House aides scrambled to make it clear that De Niro's comment "was inappropriate," said the First Lady's Campaign Press Secretary, Olivia Alair.

I doubt that Mrs. Obama's press secretary would have said anything had the First Lady been amused even though aides have sometimes been overly zealous about damage control.

Call me stodgy if you like, but I didn't think it funny after all the brouhaha there's been about Obama's supposedly being Muslim, a religion many Americans associate with non-whites. 

I'd like to see people get beyond what color someone's skin is.

Dot

I still think it was hilarious. I don't think it had anything to do with Obama, who is christian, being a Muslim--that just adds to the nonsense. Many do forget that Obama while working for the poor and disenfranchised in Chicago worked under the aegis of  Catholic Joseph Bernardin.

De Niro made a quip. Don't think the Obamas are one bit concerned. Michelle Obama can be a hoot in her own right. This wasn't racist unless Newt, Romney or Santorum want to make a stink.

Many, too many Americans, especially in the South don't like having a black President.

Many Americans are leary of a President who is half-white and half-African-American. Just how it is.

I admire Michelle Obama and Hilary Clinton, Rosalyn Carter, too. I have little good to say about Nancy Reagan or Laura Bush. And then there was Jacqueline Kennedy--oh yes.

De Niro is a maestro. I own several of his movies on DVD. In one of my faves he plays a Catholic monsignor in TRUE CONFESSIONS with Robert Duvall.

Im a very moderate liberal and don't give a hoot about Newt finding the joke offensive. Can you imagine Callista as First Lady?

We'll just differ here. It was a party for Democrats, most of whom liked the quip.

J.

PS. Yahoo is a right-wing rag

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 4:54AM #15
DotNotInOz

I don't give a care either about the Newter's trying to play the offended card to his own advantage. If he'd thought expressing approval of De Niro's remark would get him more votes, he'd have quickly done that.

I'm just tired to the bone of all the comments about how wonderful this country is for having finally elected a non-white President. The rest of the world thinks us childish beyond comprehension, I expect, for congratulating ourselves so frequently about it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 6:16PM #16
Esdraelon

Oh, Jeez! Enough already!

Finger to the wind today.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 2:13PM #17
Unworthyone

It was irony, people! Don't know what irony is?  Look it up!

It all stems back to when conservative pundits suggested "America is not ready for a Black president. It's too soon."

And now, after more than three years with a Black president, DeNiro turns it upside down.

Somebody needs to grow a sense of humor.

“Some men see things as they are and say, why; I dream things that never were and say, why not.” Robert F. Kennedy, 1968
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 2:25PM #18
vra

It was a joke that clearly wasn't malicious in any way.  Matter of fact, I think we should have more humor in Washington-- not less.  Imagine if Will Rogers or Bob Hope couldn't have told political jokes. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 2:57PM #19
BDboy

Mar 20, 2012 -- 7:24PM, Abner1 wrote:

> but again, I ask, what would the media be doing if a Republican had said that

Probably the same thing they're doing now: some of them baying for his head in hopes of making a scandal out of it, some of them ignoring it because they don't think it's worth their time, and some of them reporting it in a reasonably balanced manner.

>>>>>>>>> It is not exactly a matter of being republican or democrat. Until the current one there was NEVER a African-American first lady in the WH. Before her ALL of them were whites.

A little context is needed to "Understand" this. Maybe a supporter of current president said this to express support for president Obama. That is all there is.

Now if someone said this about a "Black" or hispanic person BEFORE president Obama was elected, it could have been a whole different thing. So let us remember the context and history before we get into liberal and conservative debate..

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 4:12PM #20
IreneAdler

Just wondering: given Robert DeNiro made the comment, why didn’t Newt (or any one else offended) ask that Mr. DeNiro offer apology? After all, he made the comment.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook