Page 72 of 76  •  Prev 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 76 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Unarmed Teen Shot By Neighborhood Watch Who Claims Self-Defense
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 4:10PM #711
Stardove

Apr 7, 2012 -- 9:43AM, Marcion wrote:

This what Sharptonmania leads to. Hope you all are happy with the results of your irrational  hysteria.

www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2012/04/...

No, this story doesn't make me happy. Nor do I believe I have had irrational hysteria.

It is events just like this which have people where they can carry handguns doing just that.  If the victim in this story had simply pulled a gun, the "children" might have stopped in their tracks and the assault would have not happened. 

Punks will always be punks as these "children" were.

Just seeing a person is armed has stopped crimes from happening.  It isn't always necessary to shot the criminals. 

First thing I would do, if someone is out to harm me is get my gun out and turn on the laser. Tongue Out

Seeing a red dot on one's chest should give a person pause, imo.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 6:43PM #712
teilhard

Were the Dead Black Guys wearing "Hoodies" ... ???

Apr 7, 2012 -- 3:06PM, rabello wrote:

Meanwhile....a white guy is driving around shooting African Americans in Tulsa Oklahoma.   So far three were killed within a span of just 7 hours.    He stops them to ask for directions, then shoots them dead. 

Wonder what rightwing media has to say about that?  For that matter, what do they say about the fact the Emmett Till's murderers got off scott free after the terrible thing they did?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 7:31PM #713
jane2

Apr 7, 2012 -- 4:10PM, Stardove wrote:

Apr 7, 2012 -- 9:43AM, Marcion wrote:

This what Sharptonmania leads to. Hope you all are happy with the results of your irrational  hysteria.

www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2012/04/...

No, this story doesn't make me happy. Nor do I believe I have had irrational hysteria.

It is events just like this which have people where they can carry handguns doing just that.  If the victim in this story had simply pulled a gun, the "children" might have stopped in their tracks and the assault would have not happened. 

Punks will always be punks as these "children" were.

Just seeing a person is armed has stopped crimes from happening.  It isn't always necessary to shot the criminals. 

First thing I would do, if someone is out to harm me is get my gun out and turn on the laser. Tongue Out

Seeing a red dot on one's chest should give a person pause, imo.

Star, you and I are in different spheres on handguns, but I have loved this poem by the metaphysical John Donne since I was in my mid-teens

No Man is an Island

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as a manor of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

I think many of us here think in these terms.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 8:11PM #714
Stardove

Thanks Jane for the poem. We do not have to agree on every issue. 

We both love our grand-children and children dearly on that matter we are together.  Smile

Even though I would never go hunting I was raised by a hunter who still goes at 90 years of age.  So I suppose my not being afraid of guns is in my genes.  My daddy's nickname happens to be Gene. 

I do believe we are all influenced by our parents to some degree.  My mother would never hunt either, but she encouraged me to get my CHL.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 8:36PM #715
jane2

Apr 7, 2012 -- 8:11PM, Stardove wrote:

Thanks Jane for the poem. We do not have to agree on every issue. 

We both love our grand-children and children dearly on that matter we are together.  Smile

Even though I would never go hunting I was raised by a hunter who still goes at 90 years of age.  So I suppose my not being afraid of guns is in my genes.  My daddy's nickname happens to be Gene. 

I do believe we are all influenced by our parents to some degree.  My mother would never hunt either, but she encouraged me to get my CHL.

Hi Star

I have no problems with hunting. My husband's family rented a pontoon plane to fly them to their hunting refuge in Maine. When my husband  died my son-in-law sold his and his father's hunting rifles and shotguns for me along with his pistol. I stilll have my husband's NRA Junior Hunters School card from 1953.

I do wonder about the handguns in the hands of those who should not have them. And disagreeing with civility is why we have discussion boards.

And we do love our children and grandchildren dearly. They are such a gift and a blessing to us. At my husband's funeral our pastor reminded us to keep telling the stories. While visiting my son's family last week, we did just that.  My oldest granddaughter loves the stories as I do. So does my younger daughter. From generation to generation............

I thought you would like Donne's poem. Ya know I'm an OTL Lit major and that poem has influenced my life and thinking for decades.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 9:00PM #716
rabello

The real problem in this case is the Stand Your Ground law, which, in the end,  is what is going to allow Zimmerman to get away with what he did.  It is the horrendous realization of what the critics of this sloppy law have been warning against from its inception. 

Black Lives Matter
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 9:05PM #717
teilhard

Yes ... I was afraid ... So I shot him ... Case CLOSED ...

Apr 7, 2012 -- 9:00PM, rabello wrote:

The real problem in this case is the Stand Your Ground law, which, in the end,  is what is going to allow Zimmerman to get away with what he did.  It is the horrendous realization of what the critics of this sloppy law have been warning against from its inception. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 8:58AM #718
Marcion

Another example of what happens when you open pandoras box.

blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/04/...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 10:56AM #719
BDboy

Apr 7, 2012 -- 9:00PM, rabello wrote:

>>>>>> This law needs to be re-examined. Should not be abused by criminals.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 12:03PM #720
TPaine

Apr 8, 2012 -- 8:58AM, Marcion wrote:

Another example of what happens when you open pandoras box.

blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/04/...

So wanting justice is opening Pandora's Box? Sharpton was asked to get involved by Trayvon's mother? Who invited the neo-Nazis?

"The right of voting for representatives is the primary right by which other rights are protected. To take away this right is to reduce a man to slavery, for slavery consists in being subject to the will of another, and he that has not a vote in the election of representatives is in this case." Thomas Paine:
Dissertation on First Principles of Government (July 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 72 of 76  •  Prev 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 76 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook