Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View If this were your child, what would you do or want police to do to the perp?
2 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 10:53AM #21
Unworthyone

Mar 20, 2012 -- 10:16AM, Cesmom wrote:

Why the *bleep* has this dangerous criminal not been arrested?  It's pathetic.  Someone (or multiple someones) in that police department need to be fired.

gma.yahoo.com/trayvon-martin-killing-fri...

Absolutely ridiculous.  I would never feel safe living in a place like that.  So much for serve and protect.

According to the New York Times,

The police told The Orlando Sentinel on Friday that they believed the voice crying for help was Mr. Zimmerman’s. They say that prosecutors have told them they do not have enough evidence to dispute Mr. Zimmerman’s claim that he acted in self-defense. Florida affords people who act in self-defense greater protection than most states, allowing them to take action if they have a reasonable fear that their lives are in peril. The case was turned over to the state attorney’s office last week.

“That is the circumstance we are dealing with: If we arrest, we open ourselves to a lawsuit,” Sgt. Dave Morgenstern, a spokesman with the Sanford Police Department, said.

So apparently, in Florida, all one has to do is claim "I believed my life was in danger" and that then gives one the right to blow anyone away. 

Nice law.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 11:18AM #22
Cesmom

The more I learn about this guy, the more obvious it is... this isn't just a matter of injustice to Trayvon and his family, this is a case of an extremely dangerous criminal still roaming the streets with a gun.  Let's hope there are no further tragedies as a result of police incompetence.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 9:57PM #23
Nepenthe

I can understand the intent of the Florida law.  A person should have the right to stand their ground.  However, when the person does stand their ground, when they do use deadly force, the burden of proof is on that person to show that their safety, or the safety of their family, was in danger.  I have not seen any publication or statement in this incident proving self-defense.  Perhaps the police are holding onto that information, in which case, given the public climate, they should begin requiring high school diplomas for employment with their police department.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 10:14PM #24
Mlyons619

Mar 20, 2012 -- 12:11AM, Mlyons619 wrote:

BTW it is OH-FISHY-AL!

The Fed is is now investigating this case.

All this is why the Fed will be conducting its own investigation of the case.

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 10:20PM #25
rabello

Mar 20, 2012 -- 9:57PM, Nepenthe wrote:

I can understand the intent of the Florida law.  A person should have the right to stand their ground.  However, when the person does stand their ground, when they do use deadly force, the burden of proof is on that person to show that their safety, or the safety of their family, was in danger.  I have not seen any publication or statement in this incident proving self-defense.  Perhaps the police are holding onto that information, in which case, given the public climate, they should begin requiring high school diplomas for employment with their police department.

The Florida law goes too far in conferring rights upon those who believe they are in danger.  From what I've read and heard, the Florida law is unique in that the person who acted because they were in fear for the life does NOT have to prove that he/she was actually in danger, just that they feared they were in danger.

As many spokespersons have said, that puts a target squarely on Black men.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 10:29PM #26
Mlyons619

Mar 20, 2012 -- 10:20PM, rabello wrote:

The Florida law goes too far in conferring rights upon those who believe they are in danger.  From what I've read and heard, the Florida law is unique in that the person who acted because they were in fear for the life does NOT have to prove that he/she was actually in danger, just that they feared they were in danger.

Did I mention this before?  THAT is why the Fed will be conducting its own investigation of the case.

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 11:08PM #27
rabello

Mar 20, 2012 -- 10:29PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

Mar 20, 2012 -- 10:20PM, rabello wrote:

Did I mention this before?  THAT is why the Fed will be conducting its own investigation of the case.

Yeah, you mentioned it.  What you didn't mention is Nepenthe's incorrect interpretation of the Florida law.   It might be that since Zimmerman was a watch captain and already had numerous dealings with the police, they naturally took his side about the potential "perp."

What nobody else is supposed to follow you in commentary, or something?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 2:44AM #28
Mlyons619

I dunno rab.  Personally, I thought your response was more than adequate.  The fed appears to take your view, which I re-emphasized.  Now why you chose to take offense is beyond me, unless you felt your response was, in fact, NOT adequate and wanted to lay the blame on me.  Maybe you're just having a rotten day and want to be disagreeable.  I won't be losing any sleep over it tho.  Good night.  

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2012 - 5:33PM #29
Luvjust4U

Mar 18, 2012 -- 7:45PM, rabello wrote:

I agree with you.  The Neighborhood Watch captain should have been arrested and held in jail unless he was granted and could pay his bond.   And why he wasn't is a travesty.  Apparently, the authorities want to believe his claims of self defense.

Hi Rabello, its good to see so many who understand there is a travesty in the killer Zimmerman not being arrested for pursuing and murdering this young American based on documented racial profiling.  The world always has eyes on this nation and these kinds of insane events make us look laughable when we condemn other countries for being brute and unjust to their citizens. If person initiates a confrontation with a fleeing person or a person moving away from them, that claim of stand your ground and self defense no longer protects the person from murder charges in killing a person who resists their initiation of the confrontation. It would be the pursued who could claim stand your ground or self defense. But, if this young boy killed the pursuing Zimmerman, we could all be sure he would have been arrested and charged for the murder of Zimmerman. 

While this is a situation that occurs sporadically, it remains part of a historical sickness inthis nation being hypocritical to Americans over skin color. There are those in large number in hate groups that support and sympathize with this killer who wish it could have happened to more brown skinned Amercians regardless of all the good things brown skinned African Americans do, so called Blacks. Black Americans strive to be positive contributors to this society . 2012 is here and some still are stuck in the mental dark ages of thinking skin color defines  the good or evil of person's character. A good volunteer listens to the commands of the police dispatcher. So much evidence the killer wanted to kill someone.Will it stop?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2012 - 6:16PM #30
Luvjust4U

Mar 18, 2012 -- 9:02PM, REteach wrote:

He was a black kid in a gated community. Clearly he was there for only nefarious reasons.  His father could not possibly have lived there....

Apparently the 911 tapes make it clear the neighborhood watch guy disobeyed the dispatcher telling him to remain in his vehicle.  

Trayvon lived inthe community. And why do some people find it impossible for so called Black Americans to live in gated communities? That is one of the prejudices still living in the minds of some Americans. African American people live in gated communities, they have legit professions and earn legal incomes by majority, yet the underlying sick stereotype is we are welfare dependent or drug dealers. That racial stereotype is what drove the psyche of the killer now a young boy is dead and the city politicians are sympathizing with the killer because he acted on stereotypes this nation still promotes about Americans who have similar external features as  Trayvon.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook