Page 4 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why Was He Even in Afghanistan?
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 5:08PM #31
rabello

Mar 19, 2012 -- 4:35PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

Wow, rab, so because he's a soldier, you would DENY him his Constitutional right of trial with presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

Who said anything about DENYING him a trial?  No one, that's who.

As I correctly recall, you weren't nearly so "understanding" when it came to those kids who raped a teenaged Iraqi girl, killed her and her parents and younger sister, and partially burned the bodies after conducting a home invasion in the middle of the night after drinking.

Moderated by rangerken on Mar 19, 2012 - 05:14PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 5:13PM #32
ted08721

Mar 19, 2012 -- 12:28PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Mar 18, 2012 -- 10:12PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

We don't really know very much about EXACTLY what happened to SSGT Bales that drove him to commit this crime.

What we do know is that Army JAG will be preferring multiple charges of murder against him and will likely be seeking the death penalty, and that SSGT Bales civilian Defense will in all likelyhood be using an insanity defense, citing how the crime was totally out of his character and that PTSD could be responsible.

Source:  WSJ

There is evidence of reduced mental capacity  do to  traumatic brain injury and aggravated by PTSD.   He may be medically retired and treated  by the VA

If hewas still suffering from traumatic brain injury he would not be cleared to serve active duty, especially in a war zone with a gun

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 5:16PM #33
Mlyons619

BTW rab, those guys in IraQ had ALREADY been found guilty in a court-martial, so I was not being the least biy hypocritical at all in expressing my total lack of sympathy.  Just a fact you neglected to mention.

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 5:16PM #34
ted08721

The sad part is that he is a ruthless murderer and will get a fairer trial than a true patriot like Bradley Manning.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 5:17PM #35
Mlyons619

Mar 19, 2012 -- 5:13PM, ted08721 wrote:

We don't really know very much about EXACTLY what happened to SSGT Bales that drove him to commit this crime.

What we do know is that Army JAG will be preferring multiple charges of murder against him and will likely be seeking the death penalty, and that SSGT Bales civilian Defense will in all likelyhood be using an insanity defense, citing how the crime was totally out of his character and that PTSD could be responsible.

Source:  WSJ

There is evidence of reduced mental capacity  do to  traumatic brain injury and aggravated by PTSD.   He may be medically retired and treated  by the VA

If hewas still suffering from traumatic brain injury he would not be cleared to serve active duty, especially in a war zone with a gun

I believe that's a point the Government Prosecution will be making...

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 5:20PM #36
mecdukebec

Mar 19, 2012 -- 5:13PM, ted08721 wrote:

contents blocked

Not really accurate.  I know a sniper who killed one of the top members of the Haqqani network, some months after redeploying, and he'd been in a mortar incident and had TBI and tested for it; he insisted on going back downrage.  He's now med boarding out of the Army and his cognitivee impairment is being separately evaluated in addition to his musculoskeletal impairments.  Soldiers want to go back and fight and fight, esp. for their buddies. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 5:20PM #37
Mlyons619

Mar 19, 2012 -- 5:16PM, ted08721 wrote:

The sad part is that he is a ruthless murderer and will get a fairer trial than a true patriot like Bradley Manning.

Oh, I strongly suspect that BOTH Bales and Manning will get EXACTLY what they both deserve...

"A true patriot"  ROTFLMAO...

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 5:27PM #38
rabello

Mar 19, 2012 -- 5:16PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

BTW rab, those guys in IraQ had ALREADY been found guilty in a court-martial, so I was not being the least biy hypocritical at all in expressing my total lack of sympathy.  Just a fact you neglected to mention.

Not before the court martial and convictions.  Not on this board, anyway, based on posts you made when the story first broke.  How what those soldiers did had nothing to do with what they had experienced in the war zone, that the military, like any other institution made up of people are going to have "bad apples" within its midst.  I did not "oppose" trials for those guys or for this guy...and it was REteach, not me, who said he shouldn't get consideration over and above what civilians would get.  I don't see you beating up on her post like you (always) do mine.

My post was in response to fodaoson's post that he might be medically retired and treated by the VA, not to your's anyway.   That's a hell of a lot more than my cousin's son is getting for his traumatic brain injury and he didn't conduct a home invasion and kill anyone, so he has no chance of getting a medical retirement and treatment.

I agree with ted, with his comparison between the killer Bales and the non-killer Manning.

Moderated by rangerken on Mar 19, 2012 - 05:32PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 5:36PM #39
Mlyons619

And I explained that IF he is medically retired because of a traumatic Brain Injury that caused his to commit a violent act, there will be bars on the facility, such as the one I visited in Worchester, Massachusetts...

We're dealing with courts -- and one has to take chances when dealing with courts.  Bales could get off scott-free.  Bales could end up on Death Row.  Or Bales could get something in-between.  We won't know until after the verdict is read.

Then there is the appeal process...

...I agree with ted, with his comparison between the killer Bales and the non-killer Manning...

Bales is being court martialed for murder.  Manning is being court-martialed for espionage.  Different charges.  Both have civilian defense teams.  Both will receive fair trials.  What's to complain about?

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 5:47PM #40
rangerken

Several off topic posts have been removed. This thead has NOTHING to do with Private Manning's pending court matial for espionage. There are other threads where that is discussed. This is not the place for it, so please do not bring it up. It has zero relevance and is off topic and disruptive.

Rangerken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook