Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why Was He Even in Afghanistan?
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 5:57PM #1
Mostyn32

The US staff sergeant accused of killing 16 Afghani villagers had suffered a head injury in Iraq and also had part of his foot removed after being wounded in Iraq. This was his fourth deployment to the Iraq/Afghanistan theatres, and he did not want to be there.

Why did the powers-that-be send a man who had already been injured in the line of duty back to the front? Are they nuts? 

I'd like to hear from veterans/serving personnel on this.  

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 6:30PM #2
rangerken

Fair question, Mostyn...

Damned if I know why this guy was in Afghanistan. I certainly would not have wanted him serving under my command, or worse, serving next to me, or even much worse, serving next to my son. It looks like somebody in the Medical Corps really scewed up. But then handling psychological issues was not a strong point of armyy medicine when I was in...physical problems like holes caused by fast moving sharp objects yes, and I benefitted from that care... but mental things were always problematic in terms of care. It seems that, unfortunately, that is still the case.

Anyway, from what little we know, it does look like he should NOT have been where he was.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 6:48PM #3
arielg

Why was he in Afghanistan?  For the same reason that all the others are: to bomb and assassinate mostly civilians in an attempt to control  the country, while asserting that it is not worth it. 

There must be something there that all those invaders throughout history have attempted to get their hands on.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 7:26PM #4
rangerken

Mar 16, 2012 -- 6:48PM, arielg wrote:

Why was he in Afghanistan?  For the same reason that all the others are: to bomb and assassinate mostly civilians in an attempt to control  the country, while asserting that it is not worth it. 

There must be something there that all those invaders throughout history have attempted to get their hands on.

(There is more production of poppies today than ever before)

I could have sworn that the reason this solider was in Afghanistan was for the same reason my son was in Afghanistan. It was because, as a soldier, he obeyed his orders. Why I even remember having done something similar myself a few times. So does my wife! And that is the reason this soldier was in Afghanistan.

The topic is why he was sent there when it looks like the medical corps should have seen some good reasons for him not to have been sent. This thread is NOT about the Afghanistan war in general. There is a thread on Middle East News & Politics about the Afghan War. There have been and are threads here about it. And anyone may begin a new one.

But this thread is about something very specific, so lt's stay on the thread's, really excellent and appropriate topic!

Rangerken

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 7:39PM #5
rabello

Because we have no draft

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 8:04PM #6
mecdukebec

Because repeat deployments are what you sign up for.  4 for me.  PTSD, TBI, etc.  Changed for life.  I have two soldiers, both well under 25, both of whom were in an Osprey crash in Afghan, who carried the bodies of their bodies off the mountain; PTSD, and TBI, for them, which the Army M.D. says meet "retention standards."

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 8:04PM #7
rangerken

Mar 16, 2012 -- 7:39PM, rabello wrote:

Because we have no draft

Good point. One of the problems wih an all volunteer military (which I like by the way) is that since it ends up not being really representative of the entire country, some things can be and are over looked.

That may be included in this discussion...so good point, rabello.

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 9:53PM #8
Fodaoson

Mar 16, 2012 -- 8:04PM, rangerken wrote:

Mar 16, 2012 -- 7:39PM, rabello wrote:

Because we have no draft

Good point. One of the problems wih an all volunteer military (which I like by the way) is that since it ends up not being really representative of the entire country, some things can be and are over looked.

That may be included in this discussion...so good point, rabello.

Ken

The US Military is a microcosm of America Her is some data to support my  statement.

DoD tracks "representativeness" very closely. And representativeness can take a whole host of forms - race, education, social status, income, region and so on. "When you look at all of those, you find that the force is really quite representative of the country," he said in a recent interview. "It mirrors the country in many of these. And where it doesn't mirror America, it exceeds America."

www.militaryrates.com/military-news-stor...

Debunking the myth of the underprivileged soldier

USA TODAT Opinion

Tim Kane is an Air Force veteran, and James Jay Carafano is an Army veteranBoth are research fellows at The Heritage Foundation

ccording to a comprehensive study of all enlistees for the years 1998-99 and 2003 that The Heritage Foundation just released, the typical recruit in the all-volunteer force is wealthier, more educated and more rural than the average 18- to 24-year-old citizen is. Indeed, for every two recruits coming from the poorest neighborhoods, there are three recruits coming from the richest neighborhoods.

, four rural states — Montana, Alaska, Wyoming and Maine — rank 1-2-3-4 in proportion of their 18-24 populations enlisted in the military. 

consider the education of every recruit, 98% joined with high-school diplomas or better. By comparison, 75% of the general population meets that standard. Among all three-digit ZIP code areas in the USA in 2003 (one can study larger areas by isolating just the first three digits of ZIP codes), not one had a higher graduation rate among civilians than among its recruits.

In fact, since the 9/11 attacks, more volunteers have emerged from the middle and upper classes and fewer from the lowest-income groups. In 1999, both the highest fifth of the nation in income and the lowest fifth were slightly underrepresented among military volunteers. Since 2001, enlistments have increased in the top two-fifths of income levels but have decreased among the lowest fifth.

the 100 three-digit ZIP code areas with the highest concentration of blacks, which range from 24.1% black up to 68.6%. These areas, which account for 14.6% of the adult population, produced 16.6% of recruits in 1999 and only 14.1% in 2003.

Maintaining the strength and size of our all-volunteer military isn't always easy. But Americans step up when their country needs them. To suggest the system is failing or exploiting citizens is wrong. And to make claims about the nature of U.S. troops to discredit their mission ought to be politically out of bounds.

www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials...

This information I found at short  notice on the Internet. They are in line with what I have read in other sources. 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 9:56PM #9
Fodaoson

PS to previous post,  Ranger Ken and Mecdukemet posted, the SSgt was  in Afghanistan because he was told to go.    

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 12:00AM #10
rangerken

Fodaoson is right about the representation part, and I was wrong in the way I wrote it...so some clarification is needed. I said that the military today is not representative not because of economic or racial percentages, but because of attitudes and political positions. During the Vitnam war, for example, when we had a draft, a high percentage of the draftees were opposed to the war, even though they served honorably. That usually meant that their parents and friends at home were opposed. Now, with our volunteer force, those serving and their families, though not exactly pro war for war's sake, tend to be much more supportive of any military action.

Anyway, the man accused of commiting these muders was a volunteer, and had re-enlisted several times, so he knew what he was in for, and when ordered back...though it does seem like that was a HUGE mistake, he followed orders and went.

I have no doubt that we'll hear all sorts of psychological explanations. But, if he is guilty (I'm just being carefull, of course I think he is) he should receive the maximum penalty possible, which is death. I was one of the majority of the officer and NCO corps who thought that Lieutenant Calley should have received he death penalty, just by the way.

And again getting back to the topic, the reason he was sent is something I'm sure we'll also be hearing a whole lot about. as I've said, I think someone or somebodies, really screwed up.

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook