Page 7 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Problems in Afghanistan
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 2:56PM #61
rabello

Mar 14, 2012 -- 2:41PM, teilhard wrote:

Yes ... As nearly as I've been able to make it out, Al Qaida is pretty much an All Volunteer Organization, while The Taliban rely to some extent on a "Kind" of "Draft": "Join us, support us, or we will KILL you ..."

I realize that you think it's all about them and none of it is about us, but I would thank you not to keep misrepresenting my statements the way you're doing here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 3:34PM #62
teilhard

I'm more than a bit personally involved in these Questions, having been a Viet Nam Draft Resister, and having followed these Questions closely for a long Time ...

Mar 14, 2012 -- 2:56PM, rabello wrote:

Mar 14, 2012 -- 2:41PM, teilhard wrote:

Yes ... As nearly as I've been able to make it out, Al Qaida is pretty much an All Volunteer Organization, while The Taliban rely to some extent on a "Kind" of "Draft": "Join us, support us, or we will KILL you ..."

I realize that you think it's all about them and none of it is about us, but I would thank you not to keep misrepresenting my statements the way you're doing here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 4:54PM #63
rabello

Mar 14, 2012 -- 3:34PM, teilhard wrote:

I'm more than a bit personally involved in these Questions, having been a Viet Nam Draft Resistor, and having followed these Questions closely for a long Time ...

And who are you to "believe" that others who don't think the way you do aren't in the same or a similar boat than you?  The fact of the matter is is that the burden for carrying out America's wish to retaliate for the 9/11 attack fell only on a certain portion of Americans who have had to give far more than their share (compared to the rest of us) and has nothing to do with the way the Taliban recruits its members.  

I take it you are not a veteran, huh?  I'm not either, so I claim no special knowledge, or privileged opinion, but I do have close relatives and close friends who are in the military now, and some have been deployed "over there," more than once, so I have some personal involvement, too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 5:16PM #64
teilhard

U. S./NATO Military Actions in Afghanistan prior to and following 9-11 weren't ABOUT "Retaliation," but rather, "Self Defense" ...

Mar 14, 2012 -- 4:54PM, rabello wrote:

I'm more than a bit personally involved in these Questions, having been a Viet Nam Draft Resister, and having followed these Questions closely for a long Time ...

And who are you to "believe" that others who don't think the way you do aren't in the same or a similar boat than you?  The fact of the matter is is that the burden for carrying out America's wish to retaliate for the 9/11 attack fell only on a certain portion of Americans who have had to give far more than their share (compared to the rest of us) and has nothing to do with the way the Taliban recruits its members.  

I take it you are not a veteran, huh?  I'm not either, so I claim no special knowledge, or privileged opinion, but I do have close relatives and close friends who are in the military now, and some have been deployed "over there," more than once, so I have some personal involvement, too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 6:19PM #65
rabello

Mar 14, 2012 -- 5:16PM, teilhard wrote:

U. S./NATO Military Actions in Afghanistan prior to and following 9-11 weren't ABOUT "Retaliation," but rather, "Self Defense" ...

However one chooses to interpret the 'war first and only option' America chose to pursue after 9/11/01, the fact is, any civilian who was/is for the 'war first and only option' was/is, in essence, for sending someone else's loved one over there to do the work, leading to a disproportionate burden on certain Americans.  That's what I was referring to when I said not having a draft allows Americans to be more 'supportive' of the 'war first and only option', which you twisted into making unsubstantiated claims about the Taliban. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 6:25PM #66
jane2

Mar 14, 2012 -- 4:54PM, rabello wrote:

I'm more than a bit personally involved in these Questions, having been a Viet Nam Draft Resistor, and having followed these Questions closely for a long Time ...

Many choose to serve in the military. The son of a good friend and friend of my daughter flew some of the original sorties over Afghanistan from an aircraft carrier. He was a graduate of Annapolis and chose the Navy. He is still a Navy officer. One of my son's best friends still flies Coast Guard helicopters; he chose to attend the USCGA. My son attended that academy and decided he did not wish to be a military officer; he spent two summers on CG cutters chasing drug runners. (Both loved sailing the USCG Eagle.)

Afghanistan is treacherous. Do the ends justify the means in this case?? I'm unsure. Afghanistan has been known to destroy Empires. I don't think it will destroy us.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 7:22PM #67
teilhard

Like all previous Empires, ours will collapse from within, with the Collapse hastened by our Imperial Over-Stretch, as described so well by Paul Kennedy (1987) ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 8:49PM #68
Mlyons619

Mar 14, 2012 -- 6:25PM, jane2 wrote:

...Afghanistan has been known to destroy Empires. I don't think it will destroy us...

I'm not so sure, Jane.  I think Afghanistan is doing to our military NOW what Vietnam did to our military some 40-plus years ago...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 10:44PM #69
jane2

Mar 14, 2012 -- 8:49PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

...Afghanistan has been known to destroy Empires. I don't think it will destroy us...

I'm not so sure, Jane.  I think Afghanistan is doing to our military NOW what Vietnam did to our military some 40-plus years ago...

I have no crystal ball but I'm not sure I see a similitude. As would so many Americans (and Brits) I would get out sooner rather than later.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2012 - 9:02AM #70
TemplarS

Mar 14, 2012 -- 8:49PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

The situations are similar, but the scope is nowhere close.

Not to downplay the efforts and sacrifices of those in the field and their families, but:

In Vietnam we had  500,000+  troops in the field.   47,000 died.

In Afghanistan, we have something like 90,000.   1,400 have died.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook