Page 3 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Problems in Afghanistan
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 9:44PM #21
teilhard

I expect so ... because it seems to be The Case ...

Mar 12, 2012 -- 9:42PM, rabello wrote:

Mar 12, 2012 -- 7:27PM, teilhard wrote:

During The Viet Nam War, one exceedingly (justifiably BITTER and cynical) Combat Vet gave his Advice on "How To Win The War" --

(1) Load up all the FIRENDLY Vietnamese onto Ships and take them out to Sea ...

(2) Kill everybody that's left ...

(3) Then, sink the Ships ...

The Wacko Soldier may have been feeling something like that ...

Undoubtedly something along those lines will be the official explanation. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 9:57PM #22
Fodaoson

It is interesting that people are getting riled up about this latest “incident”, particularly after the treatment John Kerry got because  of his winter solder  hearings.  Those hearing conducted by VVAW produced  testimony of  atrocities in Vietnam. Kerry was pilloried for other testimony. An Army Chief of staff  study ,declassified in 2005, confirms hundreds of cases of atrocities, from rapes to mass killings,  committed by American soldiers in Vietnam.  Just like our society that produces prisons full of criminals, an Army drawn from that same population  will produce  criminals. Take person with the propensity for criminal activity, give them a weapon,  send them to a combat zone three or four times where they have to kill to survive and we have created a recipe for war crimes.    Sherman was right when he said “ War is hell.”      

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 10:01PM #23
teilhard

Yes ... And we all know by now -- or have Reason to know -- of the Atrocities performed by The OTHER Side ...

Mar 12, 2012 -- 9:57PM, Fodaoson wrote:

It is interesting that people are getting riled up about this latest “incident”, particularly after the treatment John Kerry got because  of his winter solder  hearings.  Those hearing conducted by VVAW produced  testimony of  atrocities in Vietnam. Kerry was pilloried for other testimony. An Army Chief of staff  study ,declassified in 2005, confirms hundreds of cases of atrocities, from rapes to mass killings,  committed by American soldiers in Vietnam.  Just like our society that produces prisons full of criminals, an Army drawn from that same population  will produce  criminals. Take person with the propensity for criminal activity, give them a weapon,  send them to a combat zone three or four times where they have to kill to survive and we have created a recipe for war crimes.    Sherman was right when he said “ War is hell.”      

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 11:15PM #24
Fodaoson

I assume that all armies have the same kind of population to draw from .   All armies have similar problems: i.e.  Atrocities.  Our American public does not expect our army to  exhibit such behavior but considering the violent  nature of our society, it should not be a surprise. We have  the highest incarceration rate in the world and 10% are in for murder.   

Yes the other side committed atrocities but tha does to excuse any of them.  

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 11:20PM #25
teilhard

And MOST Combat Soldiers tend to be Young Men, who have little Real Life Mature Experience, and too MUCH Testosterone ... NOT a Good Combination ...

Mar 12, 2012 -- 11:15PM, Fodaoson wrote:

I assume that all armies have the same kind of population to draw from .   All armies have similar problems: i.e.  Atrocities.  Our American public does not expect our army to  exhibit such behavior but considering the violent  nature of our society, it should not be a surprise. We have  the highest incarceration rate in the world and 10% are in for murder.   

Yes the other side committed atrocities but tha does to excuse any of them.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 11:53PM #26
rabello

Mar 12, 2012 -- 11:20PM, teilhard wrote:

And MOST Combat Soldiers tend to be Young Men, who have little Real Life Mature Experience, and too MUCH Testosterone ... NOT a Good Combination ...

This "Wacko soldier" (your words) is 38 years old and has been in the military for quite a while.  Is this 38 year old's testosterone level the reason he went after women and children instead of men?  Now that's an example of a manly man (/NOT).  Maybe they should run a blood test before letting men into the military.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 11:56PM #27
teilhard

READ my Post ...

Mar 12, 2012 -- 11:53PM, rabello wrote:

Mar 12, 2012 -- 11:20PM, teilhard wrote:

This "Wacko soldier" (your words) is 38 years old and has been in the military for quite a while.  Is this 38 year old's testosterone level the reason he went after women and children instead of men?  Now that's an example of a manly man (/NOT).  Maybe they should run a blood test before letting men into the military.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2012 - 12:35AM #28
rabello

I DID read you post.  You are the one who said those who commit atrocities as soldiers do it partly because they have too much testosterone.   Hence, my suggestion that they be screened first by simple blood test.   For the safety of the families that are going to get conquered via military occupation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2012 - 3:26AM #29
Ebon

Mar 12, 2012 -- 5:12PM, rabello wrote:

What expectations do we as American citizens have a right to have (not that Afghan citizens have a right to expectations as a partially-conquered, occupied people? 

Was the intention to conquer or to liberate?

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2012 - 5:11AM #30
shmuelgoldstein

Mar 12, 2012 -- 2:20PM, TPaine wrote:

What is going on with our military in Afghanistan? To begin with Marines video themselves urinating on dead Afghans. Link 1

Then a picture of a group of Marine snipers posing in front of an American flag and a banner with the emblem of the Nazi Schutzstaffel (SS) surfaced. Link 2

Following that, American troops "accidentally" burned copies of the Qur'an at Bagram Air Field north of Kabul. Link 3

Finally (for now) on Sunday a U.S. Army sergeant went house to house in three villages in Panjwai district, a rural region outside Kandahar shooting people who were sleeping there killing sixteen, mostly women and children. Link 4

Are they too ignorant to realize that such actions will only incite more violence against Americans and NATO who are in that country? Don't they realize that such things will only increase the support for the Taliban? The only policy that makes sense at this point is to get out of Afghanistan not in 2014 or 2013, but now.

Oh dear.

These soldiers apparently do not know that these escapades are doing much more harm than good.

IMO, we (the U.S.) were right to go into Afghanistan in the wake of 9-11. But the result of images such as these is that the quoted poster above wants to get the US out of Afghanistan NOW, even before a graceful exit can be done.

These images encourage the US citizenry to push their Congressmen and indeed their President to retreat. It's bad for morale, nevermind it being immoral.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook