Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Switch to Forum Live View Arabs not required to sing Israel's ethnocentric national anthem
3 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 3:26AM #91
Miraj

I'll tell you one place I don't get my information from, and that's Wikipedia.  Why?  Because I was an editor there, so I know what goes on behind the scenes - a lot of politics, intimidation and rangling to get a particular point of view to dominate.  It's a DIY info source for the intellectually lazy.

FYI: When you use Wikipedia, the first thing you should do before you post a link is click on the tab called "Talk".  Back there, depending on the subject, you'll most likely find discussions and debates, often like the ones we have here, about who changed what and why they want it changed back, blah, blah, blah.  Or, you'll see an apology about how the subject is such a mess that they've started some project to fix it.

When I use it, it's only because I figure that no one is going to do any more to move the subject forward than to look there anyway, since it's usually the first thing that pops up in the search list. Wikipedia is not authoritative, and the history it promotes is that of the guy whose edit is the one you're reading now.

BTW, Jewish Israeli-American expats are not the first bunch of folks I'd look to for the minority point of view re the civil rights movement. Like I said before, being there among those who made the movement was worth the price of admission.

Mar 21, 2012 -- 2:08AM, habesor wrote:

Miraj,

I don't know where you get your information from but there are many sites on the internet filled with people writing about their experiences in the civil rights movement. I cited one of those in another context. However, here I am going to site the Wikipedia entry on the civil rghts movement. It also links to several other entries which deal with other attempts at imrpoving the situation of American Negroes including the Back to Africa movements which preceeded the civil rights movement. 

Here in Israel there live American Jewish immigrants who participated in the Civil Rights movement. What they write and what wikipedia writes and what is written on the sites containing the recollections of those who were participants seems quite different from the version you are promoting here.

I have noticed that you see history in ways that support your vision of the present. That is not uncommon. Indeed sometimes we learn more about history by studying the present than the other way around. But in this case I will accept the version of history of the civil rights movement on Wikipedia rather than yours. After all, Wikipedia is not trying to promote an artificial history of a newly created nationalism when they write about the American Civil Rights movement and therefore are less likely to distort the history of those events as you are doing here.

Habesor

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_C...(1955%E2%80%931968) 

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 4:32AM #92
habesor

Miraj,

Wikipedia generally notes when the accuracy of an entry is in dispute. I didn't see any such notification on the entry for the American civil rights movement. However as I wrote before there are other sites and one that I think is particularly good contains the recollections of those who took part in the Civil Rights movement. It provides a time line and that is where the following link will take you.

www.crmvet.org/tim/timhome.htm 

Among the recollections was one involving a sit-in in a Baltimore restaurant. It should be of particular interest to the readers of this thread. I cited it before but I will do so again as I don't remember you or anyone else commenting on it. (Not that you must.)

www.crmvet.org/nars/balt61.htm

Habesor

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2012 - 10:51AM #93
Miraj

Habesor, I have my own recollections and those of the people I knew and still know who were forged by the civil rights movement.  It's why I became a human rights lawyer.  Perhaps you need to read about it everywhere, but I've been there, done that.  Are we not allowed to know things that you don't?

BTW, look farther down on the Talk page. 

Mar 21, 2012 -- 4:32AM, habesor wrote:

Miraj,

Wikipedia generally notes when the accuracy of an entry is in dispute. I didn't see any such notification on the entry for the American civil rights movement. However as I wrote before there are other sites and one that I think is particularly good contains the recollections of those who took part in the Civil Rights movement. It provides a time line and that is where the following link will take you.

www.crmvet.org/tim/timhome.htm 

Among the recollections was one involving a sit-in in a Baltimore restaurant. It should be of particular interest to the readers of this thread. I cited it before but I will do so again as I don't remember you or anyone else commenting on it. (Not that you must.)

www.crmvet.org/nars/balt61.htm

Habesor

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook