Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 11:27AM #1
Marcion
According to this article the majority sees Iran as Israels problem; few see it as a world threat.

What course of action should the US take?

Ithink the US should stay out of it, too many Americans have died in the Middle East over other countries problems.

If Israel can't solve their own problem without US intervention then they should continue diplomatic means.

www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/world/middlee...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 1:01PM #2
mountain_man

Mar 4, 2012 -- 11:27AM, Marcion wrote:

According to this article the majority sees Iran as Israels problem; few see it as a world threat.

Since Israel is constantly threatening Iran, the whole thing is Israels fault and problem.

Stop sending any kind of aid to Israel.

I think the US should stay out of it, too many Americans have died in the Middle East over other countries problems.

If Israel can't solve their own problem without US intervention then they should continue diplomatic means.

That's not something they've shown they could do.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 8:00PM #3
TemplarS

I'm on record here as saying there is no cause for military action against Iran.  By the US or by Israel.

However- that does not mean anything which emanates from Iran is defensible by any reasonable person.

They just had an "election" over there.  Where only candidates approved by the so-called "Guardian Council" were allowed on the ballot, the refomers (who are really conservatives by any definition of the word) were forced out.  And in which, evidently, Mr. Ahmadinejad, believe it or not, was the "moderate."   The country is run by this fellow by the name of Ayatollah Khamenei, who makes Rick Santorum look like Thomas Jefferson; it is in fact nothing but a tinhorn military dicatorship masquerading as a Islamic nation.

If Israel were really capable of removing these gentlemen from the planet (which I don't think they are) I wouldn't be mourning their loss.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 9:00PM #4
farragut

I would applaud it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 10:45PM #5
arielg

The country is run by this fellow by the name of Ayatollah Khamenei, who makes Rick Santorum look like Thomas Jefferson; it is in fact nothing but a tinhorn military dicatorship masquerading as a Islamic nation.

The country is  run by  an Islamic government that has policies based on their ideologies, history, culture and traditions, not by Western democracies standards. 

What do you know about this "fellow" that is comparable to Rick Santorum? Sounds like you get your information from  US and Israeli  propaganda sources.

(He has issued a fatwa saying the production, stockpiling and use of nuclear weapons   was forbidden under Islam)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 8:51AM #6
Marcion

Lets not forget  Israels fiasco in the 1980s in their attack on Iraq nuclear facilities. It solved nothing and incouraged Sadaam to accelarate his progran to build a bomb.

Those who don't learn from history etc etc etc.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 9:39AM #7
teilhard

No ... The Israeli Attack on Saddam's Reactor successfully greatly impeded his announced plan to develop Nukes ... Saddam's announced INTENTION was to acquire Nukes, and producing Plutonium was "in the Works" when Israel acted properly in Self-Defense ...

What do you suggest SHOULD have been used instead -- harsh Language ... ???

Mar 5, 2012 -- 8:51AM, Marcion wrote:

Lets not forget  Israels fiasco in the 1980s in their attack on Iraq nuclear facilities. It solved nothing and incouraged Sadaam to accelarate his progran to build a bomb.

Those who don't learn from history etc etc etc.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 10:26AM #8
Ebon

I'm honestly unsure. The US could push for harsher sanctions but sanctions rarely hurt the ruling powers and there isn't (yet) a casus belli. I really don't want to see Iran get their hands on a nuke (I'm not keen on anyone having nukes) but the only options available are more sanctions or war and while I think military action can occasionally do some good (by booting horrible dictators out of power), going in without UN backing is likely to inflame Iranian nationalism, resulting in another quagmire like Iraq.

Really, there are no good options here.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 11:35AM #9
teilhard

Agreed ... The only Choice presented is to pick the LEAST Bad among several TERRIBLE Options ...

Mar 5, 2012 -- 10:26AM, Ebon wrote:

I'm honestly unsure. The US could push for harsher sanctions but sanctions rarely hurt the ruling powers and there isn't (yet) a casus belli. I really don't want to see Iran get their hands on a nuke (I'm not keen on anyone having nukes) but the only options available are more sanctions or war and while I think military action can occasionally do some good (by booting horrible dictators out of power), going in without UN backing is likely to inflame Iranian nationalism, resulting in another quagmire like Iraq.

Really, there are no good options here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 12:35PM #10
Erey

Israel is doing and will do what they feel they need to do.  Right now they have to make Iran afraid they will attack, they need to keep Iran cautious. 

Iran has bigger problems, it is still the Arab Spring and their credibility with Iranians is hanging by a thin thread.  They know they can surpress the people for now but they dont have much longer.

Israel is in self-defense mode, Iranians on average don't want to war with Israel.  What Iranians want are more updated systems, better opportunities and less bull crap from their leadership. 

I just read an article last week where they showed that Iran has been doing the nuclear dance for 30 years now.  Of course nobody does that dance better than North Korea, they should teach lessons. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook