Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View .'It doesn't get much f...ing lower...'
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 11:37PM #1
solfeggio
That, evidently, is what the US State Department thinks of New Zealand.

news.msn.co.nz/nationalnews/8429470/us-a...

US Intelligence Stratfor analysts' opinions of my country have appeared in emails recently released by hackers to WikiLeaks, and those comments are certainly not anything like what Hillary Clinton said of our country when she was here a little over a year ago.

So, what, exactly, is Stratfor?

www.stratfor.com/

Well, I'll tell you, if that company represents the American government's true feelings about my country and its people, then I'm not just pissed off but bloody insulted.      

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 12:18AM #2
rabello

And you should be.   But remember, America doesn't have friends, it has "interests" it's just a couple of rich, pudgy, white-guy blowhards from a "think tank".  As long as NZ, and I'd assume Australia provide some bodies for the "Coalition of the Willing" A-OK.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 12:22AM #3
mountain_man

Mar 3, 2012 -- 11:37PM, solfeggio wrote:

Who cares? You really didn't believe that NZ was any kind of a global super power did you?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 2:14AM #4
rangerken

Solf, don't confuse liking a country's people with being able to depend on them. I don't know any American who has been to New Zealand who does not really like your country. But I also don't know anyone in our armed forces who depends on New Zealand for any meaningful, military assistance. And our navy's problem calling on New Zealand ports with nuclear weapons on board is certainly an issue. But that is NOT a criticism. New Zealand is entitled to decide for itself what kind, if any, international commitments or alliances to make.

As Rabello said, countries have 'interests'. It has always been that way and always will be.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 9:10AM #5
Ken

Stratfor is a private company. It is not part of the US State Department.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 12:54PM #6
BDboy

news.msn.co.nz/nationalnews/8429470/us-a...

US Intelligence Stratfor analysts' opinions of my country have appeared in emails recently released by hackers to WikiLeaks, and those comments are certainly not anything like what Hillary Clinton said of our country when she was here a little over a year ago.

So, what, exactly, is Stratfor?

www.stratfor.com/

Well, I'll tell you, if that company represents the American government's true feelings about my country and its people, then I'm not just pissed off but bloody insulted.      

>>>>>>>> Either way New Zealand is not a significant military force but a very NICE country. You should be proud that, unlike UK it stood it's ground  when policy making is concern. Before war in Iraq over 80% of UK population were against that war but it's "Democratic" leadership decided to join the unneccessary war. We all know how that worked out.

Tomorrow if you find an oil feild, most American companies will be your "NEW best friend" and praise everything you do.

:-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 6:51PM #7
christine3

Mar 4, 2012 -- 12:18AM, rabello wrote:

And you should be.   But remember, America doesn't have friends, it has "interests" it's just a couple of rich, pudgy, white-guy blowhards from a "think tank".  As long as NZ, and I'd assume Australia provide some bodies for the "Coalition of the Willing" A-OK.

For the record, many Americans hate what America does to and in other countries.  We are helpless to do anything about it.  I'd say we don't have a democracy here anymore.  I'm sure to get flack for that statement.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 7:00PM #8
CharikIeia

Mar 4, 2012 -- 6:51PM, christine3 wrote:

I'm sure to get flack for that statement.  

A little semi-off-topic teaching from the odd European...

It's written "flak" and is an abbreviation of the German Fliegerabwehrkanone, anti-aircraft gun. It's what many British and Americans had to take when visiting my country ~seventy years ago for enacting US foreign policy.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 7:40PM #9
christine3

Mar 4, 2012 -- 7:00PM, CharikIeia wrote:

It's written "flak" and is an abbreviation of the German Fliegerabwehrkanone, anti-aircraft gun. It's what many British and Americans had to take when visiting my country ~seventy years ago for enacting US foreign policy.

Oh, thanks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 8:09PM #10
Fodaoson

Mar 4, 2012 -- 7:00PM, CharikIeia wrote:

In response you your country’s foreign policy initiated on September 1, 1939 and  further articulated  on December 8 1941 and some of his domestic policies.  Heil, mein Führer

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook