Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View We are right about here .......
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 11:02AM #1
Bodean
The average age of the worlds greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;
    From spiritual faith to great courage;
    From courage to liberty;
    From liberty to abundance;
    From abundance to complacency;
    From complacency to apathy;
    From apathy to dependence;
    From dependence back into bondage.

The end bondage is always a dictatorship.  So .. wonder what our is going to look like!  
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 1:03PM #2
catboxer

Bondage?

You mean like requiring food stamp recipients to submit to drug testing?

You know, those people who haven't worked since 2008. Before that most of 'em had jobs and bought their own food and weed, beer and cigarettes.

And also, too, requiring a woman to lie down for an invasive gynecological exam when she asks for an abortion.

Personally, I'm not on food stamps and never got anybody pregnant except the first of my many ex-wives. Since according to the Constitution there are no second-class citizens in this country, we're all either first-class citizens or first-class slaves.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 1:40PM #3
agapath

Bodean:

Please provide a sample list of the civilizations to which you are referring and (as close as possible) the start and finish dates of the approximate 200 year span.

Thank you

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 1:55PM #4
mecdukebec

Rome was founded in 753 B.C.E/A.U.C. and wasn't sacked until 410 C.E.  A heckuva lot longer that the putative 200 years, and it was a Republic, an imperium, a divided imperia, with the doings-on going on up in Ravenna. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 2:19PM #5
Mostyn32

The British Empire lasted longer than Bodean's 200 year life span, too. My relatives in the UK haven't intimated that they feel like they're living in bondage or under a dictatorship (even though they were not sure of their status under Margaret Thatcher, who had the makings of a first class dictator! Not for nothing did the Brits call her Attila the Hen.)

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 2:23PM #6
mecdukebec

Feb 29, 2012 -- 2:19PM, Mostyn32 wrote:

The British Empire lasted longer than Bodean's 200 year life span, too. My relatives in the UK haven't intimated that they feel like they're living in bondage or under a dictatorship (even though they were not sure of their status under Margaret Thatcher, who had the makings of a first class dictator! Not for nothing did the Brits call her Attila the Hen.)

She also got a lot of people killed in the Falklands.  Offshore and on.  (Paging George W. Bush...)

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 2:27PM #7
catboxer

Bodean I think said "civilizations," and English civilization continues, although it's a little less civilized than it used to be.

Then there was the good old workers' paradise of the Soviet Union -- 72 years start to finish.

I don't know what his source was for that 200-year thing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 4:08PM #8
Druac

I think what will do us in is more related to greed and the individualism that has infected us...that and we have handed over our country to corporations and their interests over the people.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 6:27PM #9
Father_Oblivion

I recall reading that 200 year thing back in junior high school, but I have forgotten the author of it (it has been a long long time, after all).

The important thing to remember about American history is that it is fictional, a charcoal-sketched simplicity for the children or the easily bored. For the most part it is uninspected, unimagined, unthought, a representative of the thing and not the thing itself. It is a fine fiction...
Neil Gaiman
'American Gods'

‎"Ignorance of ignorance, then, is that self-satisfied state of unawareness in which man, knowing nothing outside the limited area of his physical senses, bumptiously declares there is nothing more to know! He who knows no life save the physical is merely ignorant; but he who declares physical life to be all-important and elevates it to the position of supreme reality--such a one is ignorant of his own ignorance."
- Manly Palmer Hall
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 6:53PM #10
catboxer

Feb 29, 2012 -- 6:27PM, Father_Oblivion wrote:

I recall reading that 200 year thing back in junior high school, but I have forgotten the author of it (it has been a long long time, after all).

I remember reading in my elementary school history textbook that the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery. Probably by the same author.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook