Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Meat Grown in Lab, No Animals Required
2 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 10:48AM #1
Ebon
"Dutch scientists have used stem cells to create strips of muscle tissue with the aim of producing the first lab-grown hamburger later this year.

The aim of the research is to develop a more efficient way of producing meat than rearing animals.

At a major science meeting in Canada, Prof Mark Post said synthetic meat could reduce the environmental footprint of meat by up to 60%."

Rest at the link: www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-1...

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 11:03AM #2
TemplarS

Wouldn't sausage be a better place to start?  Who know what goes into a sausage anyway?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 11:17AM #3
Ed2

Feb 20, 2012 -- 10:48AM, Ebon wrote:

"Dutch scientists have used stem cells to create strips of muscle tissue with the aim of producing the first lab-grown hamburger later this year.

The aim of the research is to develop a more efficient way of producing meat than rearing animals.

At a major science meeting in Canada, Prof Mark Post said synthetic meat could reduce the environmental footprint of meat by up to 60%."

Rest at the link: www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-1...

I hope that they didn't use stem cells from cattle because eating too much beef is a known health risk:

www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20050111...

Although, hopefully they can do this with fish and chicken stem cells. Smile

I think that it's pretty sad and pretty unbelievable that there are so many healthy, powerful, and healing foods that I have learned about from watching "The Doctor Oz Show"...but unfortunately, most Americans from their childhood on up, have only learned how to eat what is essentially equivalent to 'garbage'...and are basically in a 'slumber' when it comes to not having a clue as to what that kind of food is doing to their bodies and to their health. It's really sad.

~Ed2

"Hmmm. So you're saying that for Jesus' followers(throughout the centuries) to truly live a 'godly' life, they had to believe that the end of the world was just around the corner?"

~Ed2(See post #53)

"Although, I think that I'll change that to: Also...I liked the way that you dodged what I had said about being 'concerned that the Bible had to use subterfuge as a means to an end' in my post #137."

~Ed2(See post #145)

"It's utterly beyond belief, that the wealthiest country in the history of the world, fails to care for all it's people."

~Dr. Patrick Dowling, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 11/23/11.)

"If I could prescribe any drug on the planet, it would be food [be]cause it works better, faster, and cheaper than any medication. Food is the most powerful medicine we have...to treat chronic disease like diabetes."

~Dr. Mark Hyman, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 01/13/12. Also, go to www.doctoroz.com for more information.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 11:34AM #4
Ed2

Feb 20, 2012 -- 10:48AM, Ebon wrote:

Well, I'm also glad to hear about the benefits to animals because as it has been widely publicized, conditions are deplorable for many, if not most animals that are used to mass produce meat for human beings. ...I mean, really deplorable.

Plus, in many third world countries, the rain forest is being stripped for cattle pasture:

Forests, particularly the rain forests of Central America and the Amazon, are being burned and cleared to make way for cattle pasture. Since 1960, more than 25 percent of the Central American forests have been lost to beef production -- most of it for export to the United States and Europe. It has been estimated that for every quarter-pound fast-food hamburger made from Central American beef, 55 square feet of tropical forest -- including 165 pounds of unique species of plants and animals -- is destroyed. Today, the world's 1.3 billion cattle are stripping vegetation and compacting and eroding soil, thus creating deserts out of grasslands. More than 60 percent of the world's rangelands have been damaged by overgrazing during the past half century.

www.animalliberationfront.com/Practical/...

I think that it's pretty sad and pretty unbelievable that there are so many healthy, powerful, and healing foods that I have learned about from watching "The Doctor Oz Show"...but unfortunately, most Americans from their childhood on up, have only learned how to eat what is essentially equivalent to 'garbage'...and are basically in a 'slumber' when it comes to not having a clue as to what that kind of food is doing to their bodies and to their health. It's really sad.

~Ed2

"Hmmm. So you're saying that for Jesus' followers(throughout the centuries) to truly live a 'godly' life, they had to believe that the end of the world was just around the corner?"

~Ed2(See post #53)

"Although, I think that I'll change that to: Also...I liked the way that you dodged what I had said about being 'concerned that the Bible had to use subterfuge as a means to an end' in my post #137."

~Ed2(See post #145)

"It's utterly beyond belief, that the wealthiest country in the history of the world, fails to care for all it's people."

"If I could prescribe any drug on the planet, it would be food [be]cause it works better, faster, and cheaper than any medication. Food is the most powerful medicine we have...to treat chronic disease like diabetes."

~Dr. Mark Hyman, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 01/13/12. Also, go to www.doctoroz.com for more information.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 1:43PM #5
arielg

This is dumb.  The main  argument for eating meat is the need for proteins. They could just develop some way of making protein and forget about the meat.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 2:46PM #6
solfeggio

Ariel makes an excellent point, with which I agree. 

One of the most commonly heard questions that vegetarians hear is 'Where do you get your protein?'  This implies that the general public assumes that protein can only be obtained from flesh, which is simply not true.

The fact that people who do not eat flesh somehow manage to not just survive, but to be in general healthier than the general population shows that, obviously, protein can be easily obtained from other sources.

www.happycow.net/vegetarian_protein.html

However, this sort of thinking will not be accepted by the general public, who remain convinced that they must have meat to survive, so the idea of making meat in a lab is the next best thing.

And, since it is true that our fellow 'food' animals are treated abominably, it would be to their benefit if lab meat became popular.

Who knows?  If people really do become seriously concerned about the terrible cost to the environment by the animal agriculture industry, maybe lab meat will become more popular.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 2:56PM #7
rangerken

My favorite meat is a rack of lamb. Next comes a porterhouse steak. I prefer dark meat when eating turkey. I thoroughly enjoy lobster, and a swordfish steak is great. Pork sausage or bacon with eggs is mandatory. And so forth.

I have no intention of stopping either.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When and if some in vitro or tanked or artificial method is developed that can produce the 'meats' I enjoy, and plan on continuing to enjoy, I will immediatey and cheerfully start using them.

That means something that looks like, cooks like, and tastes EXACTLY like, for example, a slice of bone in ribeye steak. If we're talking about something like designer tofu, forget about it.

I do wonder whether or not I'd stop hunting deer and wild boar and pheasant, etc, since I enjoy eating them also...plus I like to hunt.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 5:30PM #8
Ed2

Feb 20, 2012 -- 1:43PM, arielg wrote:

This is dumb.  The main  argument for eating meat is the need for proteins. They could just develop some way of making protein and forget about the meat.

Feb 20, 2012 -- 2:46PM, solfeggio wrote:

Ariel makes an excellent point, with which I agree. 

One of the most commonly heard questions that vegetarians hear is 'Where do you get your protein?'  This implies that the general public assumes that protein can only be obtained from flesh, which is simply not true.

The fact that people who do not eat flesh somehow manage to not just survive, but to be in general healthier than the general population shows that, obviously, protein can be easily obtained from other sources.

www.happycow.net/vegetarian_protein.html

However, this sort of thinking will not be accepted by the general public, who remain convinced that they must have meat to survive, so the idea of making meat in a lab is the next best thing.

And, since it is true that our fellow 'food' animals are treated abominably, it would be to their benefit if lab meat became popular.

Who knows?  If people really do become seriously concerned about the terrible cost to the environment by the animal agriculture industry, maybe lab meat will become more popular.

So then, I guess this idea really isn't dumb after all. Smile

~Ed2

~Ed2(See post #53)

~Ed2(See post #145)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 5:49PM #9
Ed2

Feb 20, 2012 -- 2:56PM, rangerken wrote:

My favorite meat is a rack of lamb. Next comes a porterhouse steak. I prefer dark meat when eating turkey. I thoroughly enjoy lobster, and a swordfish steak is great. Pork sausage or bacon with eggs is mandatory. And so forth.

I have no intention of stopping either.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When and if some in vitro or tanked or artificial method is developed that can produce the 'meats' I enjoy, and plan on continuing to enjoy, I will immediatey and cheerfully start using them.

That means something that looks like, cooks like, and tastes EXACTLY like, for example, a slice of bone in ribeye steak. If we're talking about something like designer tofu, forget about it.

Well, Ken, I guess you've heard about how scientist can now grow human body parts from either stem cells or from cells of the part of the body that they are trying to reproduce. And they use molds to create the shape of those body parts:

Atala says every organ in our body contains special stem cells that are unique to each body part. The key to regeneration, he says, is to isolate and then multiply those cells until there are enough to cover a mold of that particular body part.

Atala showed Safer a bladder that was growing in the lab. "And you can see here that we actually create the three dimensional mold first. This is actually coated with cells and it's done one layer at a time. It's very much like baking a layer cake."

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/11/60min...

So in theory, it sounds as if one day scientists would be able to get some of the stem cells from the parts of animals where a rack of lamb or a porterhouse steak comes from...put those cells in a three dimensional mold and what a while...and voila! You have your cuts of meat where you can get a rack of lamb from or a porterhouse steak.

Sounds pretty cool to me. Smile

~Ed2

~Ed2(See post #53)

~Ed2(See post #145)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 6:36PM #10
mytmouse57

Good news for cows...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook