Page 5 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Palestinian Hunger Striker Appeals To Israel's Supreme Court
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 7:47PM #41
LeahOne

Feb 20, 2012 -- 6:30PM, SherriMunnerlyn wrote:

Feb 20, 2012 -- 5:57PM, LeahOne wrote:

www.cfr.org/israel/palestinian-islamic-j...

What are the goals of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad?

The Palestinian Islamic Jihad wants to reestablish a sovereign, Islamic Palestinian state with the geographic borders of the pre-1948 mandate Palestine. The PIJ advocates the destruction of Israel through violent means; it approaches the Arab-Israeli conflict as an ideological war, not a territorial dispute. PIJ members see violence as the only way to remove Israel from the Middle East map and reject any two-state arrangement in which Israel and Palestine coexist.

The PIJ, unlike other Palestinian separatist groups, refuses to negotiate or engage in the diplomatic process. It does not seek political representation within the Palestinian Authority. The PIJ is also accused of attempting to hinder the efforts of the 1993 Oslo Accords by launching several terrorist attacks on Israeli targets.

"Palestinian Gandhi", my left buttock! 

Are the words in bold above somehow invisible on certain posters' screens?

Exactly how does going on a hunger strike absolve and redeem a person from SPEAKING FOR a group which advocates and participates in violence seeking to eradicate an entire nation?

Leah,

Khader Adnan is a human being and the issue is his rights, his legal rights that Israel has violated.

>>>>And where in ANY of my posts did I deny that?  NO PLACE.  Stop with 'answering' arguments I never made, please.  

The issue is not Islamic Jihad.

>>>>> Maybe not to you, but in case you hadn't noticed - you're not the only one posting here NOR are you in charge.

And the man, Khader Adnan, what I see him doing is embracing nonviolent resistance, thus making him by definition, a genuine Palestinian Gandhi.

>>>>>Whoop-tee-doo.  I got that.  What you've declined to discuss is how his not merely being a member of, but a spokesperson for a violent terrorist group is "embracing nonviolent resistance"?  There is an apparent contradiction here which remains unresolved.

Now IFF this man has repudiated his former terrorist affiliation, then I could see your point.  PLEASE - can you show me where he's renounced violence in all situations?

If not, then I think my point still stands.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 8:56PM #42
SherriMunnerlyn

Leah,

You stated:

>>>>>Whoop-tee-doo.  I got that.  What you've declined to discuss is how his not merely being a member of, but a spokesperson for a violent terrorist group is "embracing nonviolent resistance"?  There is an apparent contradiction here which remains unresolved.

Now IFF this man has repudiated his former terrorist affiliation, then I could see your point.  PLEASE - can you show me where he's renounced violence in all situations?

If not, then I think my point still stands

My respose:

I could care less what Israel's baseless and lying and unproven allegations are about Khader Adnan. All I have heard are these loosely flung allegations he is a spokesman of or leader of or associated with a terrorist group, Islamic Jihad. No evidence has been presented of any of this, and none of that is even a crime. He has never specifically been personally tied to any violence, I have not even heard allegations that is the case.  And if you have evidence these statements are not true that I just made, please present that evidence. Otherwise, I will continue to ignore Israel's unsupported allegations.

Khader Adnan is not making statements claiming he acts for Islamic Jihad, so why in the world should I assume he is? 

I am dealing with FACTS of the present, not unproven Israeli allegations about the past, the man is now, today, embracing nonviolent resistance 100%. Those are THE FACTS. He has been charged with no crime, no evidence has been provided that shows he committed any crime, and he is being held unlawfully and, if he dies, the blood of this innocent man is on Israel's hands.

Let me assume for one moment that Khader was, in the past, guilty of some violent crime. That would not operate to make him guilty of a new crime today. Crimes are based on actions, and are proven by evidence. Israel has presented no evidence Khader is guilty of a presently committed crime and Israel has charged him with no crime.

Being a member of a terrorist group is not a crime, the same way serving in the military of a terrorist state is not a crime. Crimes are based on acts. Those Israel labels as terrorists are under intl law resistance fighters with the right under intl law to resist their Occupation with armed resistance. 

It is a joke, Israel (the Occupier) labels those whose lands they illegally occupy (the Occupied)as terrorists and justify potentially endless administrative detentions by placing the terrorist association label on people, and hold and detain them perhaps the rest of their lives with no evidence ever presented that they ever engaged in any criminal acts whatsoever and no trials ever even held.

To conclude, Khader Adnan and over 300 other Palestinian prisoners are being subjected to administrative detentions that are unlawful under intl law and Israel should release all of them forthwith, and abide by her obligations under intl law.

Tomorrow will be an eventful day, the Israeli court will hear Khader Adnan's case, Palestinians have called a general strike and they will mobilize everywhere in solidarity with their Palestinian Gandhi, Khader Adnan. And those of us who support nonviolent resistance to the Occupation will be praying that justice will prevail and that a brave and courageous man's life may be saved and that he will be able to live to raise his two daughters and unborn child.

Sherri

Moderated by rangerken on Feb 20, 2012 - 11:01PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 10:11PM #43
SherriMunnerlyn

This is something that one does not regularly see, an Amnesty Petition, and I notice it calls for a release or charging of crimes against all Palestinian prisoners held under administrative detentions, and also calls for all charges to be "for internationally recognizable criminal offences in full conformity with international fair trial standards."

This last element is addressing many past practices of Israel that violate intl law that Amnesty is asking Israel to change and conform to the requirements of intl law, Amnesty is calling upon the entire trial practice to meet due process requirements of intl law. And this also does away with trying prisoners for being members in banned groups, that is not a crime recognized under intl law. Intl law permits armed resistance to Occupations.

Amnesty Intl is circulating a petition for solidarity with Khader Adnan’s protest for respect for the human rights of Palestinians in Israeli detention. The petition calls on the Israeli minister of defense to:

"-- Immediately release Adnan and others held in administrative detention, or immediately charge and try them for internationally recognizable criminal offences in full conformity with international fair trial standards;

-- End the use of administrative detention, which violates the right to a fair trial;

-- Ensure that detainees are treated humanely at all times, and that no detainees are punished for their decision to go on hunger strike.

The petition is available online here."

Sherri
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2012 - 6:54AM #44
SherriMunnerlyn

Palestinian Gandhi Khader Adnan to be released

"Israel’s Supreme Court has ordered the release of Khader Adnan, a Palestinian detained without charge, who has been on hunger strike for more than nine weeks, his lawyer said."

The above is what Al Jazeera first reported.

Now, they report the following: 

"Israel has agreed to free Khader Adnan, a Palestinian detained without charge, who has been on hunger strike for more than nine weeks, one of his lawyers has said.

The revelation came hours before the supreme court was to hear an urgent appeal on Tuesday for Adnan's release.

The lawyer said that a settlement had been reached for ending his detention."

I am still trying to confirm this from other sources. 

www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/0...

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2012 - 7:23AM #45
SherriMunnerlyn

"Khader Adnan, Bobby Sands", the You Tube video is entitled. 

Here is a song written in the honor of Khader Adnan.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoEPftesWyA&feat...

Here is a comment to the song, addressing the report of Khader's release:

"Breaking News: Sheikh Khader Adnan to be released from Zionist prison today, Allah hu Akbar. Thanks to everyone who supported him, especially the free people of Ireland :)

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2012 - 10:40AM #46
SherriMunnerlyn

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&...

A tribute to Khader Adnan and Palestinian Prisoners.wmv

This is another tribute to Khader Adnan, from Gaza, a beuatiful song, sung in Arabic, the words translated into English.

I learn from this video that Israel committed a violation of intl law, a war crime, in the abduction/detention of Khader Adnan in December, they used a Palestinian as a human shield to approach his house in the middle of the night to detain him.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2012 - 9:13PM #47
SherriMunnerlyn

Court decision to cancel Adnan’s appeal hearing

The Supreme Court issued the following decision today:

"We have been delivered a joint notice by the representative of the Appellant and the representative of the Respondents, according to which there is no intention to extend the administrative detention beyond 17 April 2012, and (after offsetting the days of detention during which the Appellant was subjected to a criminal investigation), subject to the absence of new and significant material being added in the matter of the Appellant. In light of the above, the Appellant has ended his hunger strike and declared his retraction of the appeal.This being the case, the appeal is stricken, and the hearing schedule for today is thereby cancelled."

electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunima...

Khader Adnan will be released April 17, 2012, there will be no more administrative detentions, and he ends his hunger strike.

I think this is a pretty good outcome, I do not think there will be any more torture or abuse by Khader Adnan by Israel, after all the publicity. And I think care will be taken with respect to his recovery, as anything that happens to him between now and April 17, Israel will be blamed for.  They are responsible for his safety and recovery between now and April 17.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2012 - 6:27AM #48
Dostojevsky

Sherri, hope you are right.

Still quite few days to April 17th*

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2012 - 10:38PM #49
SherriMunnerlyn

Feb 24, 2012 -- 6:27AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

Sherri, hope you are right.

Still quite few days to April 17th*

Dos,

Physicians For Human Rights have stated they will issue updates on Khader's medical condition, when I find information I will post it. So far, I have not found any updates since Tuesday. I expect he remains in a precarious and dangerous physical state, after going 66 days without food.

I did just find an article that addresses a number of past Palestinian prisoners who have died from hunger strikes, in prisons detained unlawfully in Israel.

Why do we not hear news about all of this?

"Adnan has set an unprecedented record among Palestinian prisoners with his hunger strike," said Abdel Nasser Farawneh, an official with the Palestinian ministry for prisoner affairs.

Until now, the Palestinian record for going without food was set in 1976 when a group of prisoners ate nothing for 45 days. After a short break of several days, they then fasted for another 20 days.

Farawneh, who heads the ministry's statistics department, keeps records of the prisoners who have died while on hunger strike.

The first was Abdul Kader Abu al-Fahem who died in Ashkelon prison in 1970 after refusing food for nearly 20 days.

A decade later, four prisoners began a hunger strike in Nafha prison, near the southern desert town of Mitzpe Ramon.

Three of them, Rasem Halaweh, Anis Dawleh and Ali al-Jaafari, died after more than four weeks of refusing food.

The fourth prisoner, Ishaq Maraha, survived 32 days without food but died in 1983 from complications brought on by the lengthy strike, ministry statistics show.

The last Palestinian prisoner to die while on hunger strike in an Israeli prison was Hussein Ibeidat, in 1992, after 15 days without food.

"Khader Adnan is the longest and he is still alive. We hope he will stay alive," Farawneh told AFP."

news.yahoo.com/palestinian-prisoners-hun...

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2012 - 10:55PM #50
SherriMunnerlyn

Here is a report from February 23, 2012, about the condition of Palestinian Hunger Striker Khader Adnan.

And let us none of us forget that Khader Adnan has not even been charged with a crime, he has spent over 6 years in Israeli detentions in prisons under administrative detentions, the last beginning in December of 2011, and has just spent 66 days on a hunger strike taking a stand against his unlawful detention and violent interrogation he was subjected to and other unlawful Israeli practices against unlawfully held Palestinain political prisoners.

Khader is being held in complete violation of intl law, in violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention, as he is held without being charged with a crime and with his due process rights violated. 

Khader Adnan Begins His Slow Recovery While Israeli Court Issues a Decision to Remove His Shackles

"Joint Press Release, Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association and Physicians for Human Rights-Israel

www.addameer.org/etemplate.php?id=445

Sherri
Moderated by rangerken on Feb 24, 2012 - 11:25PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook