Switch to Forum Live View Islamophobia as an Offensive Weapon
2 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 9:49AM #1
JAstor
The author of this article, a Yale Law School graduate, writes how Islamist front groups constantly raise the specter of Islamophobia to suppress discussion of radical Islam. In case one might think the article is anti-Islam, it makes a clear distinction between Islam and radical Islam. "Only a small percentage of the world's 1.3 Muslims are radical." This is an important article to understand.

Islamophobia as an Offensive Weapon

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is calling for the dismissal of New York City Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly and the appointment of an outside inspector-general to run the police. CAIR and other "mainstream" Muslim groups have a long-standing grievance with Kelly and the NYPD arising out of a 2007 NYPD Intelligence Report entitled, "Radicalization in the West: the Homegrown Threat," and the NYPD's ongoing surveillance of radical Islamic groups, including mosques.

But the immediate club being used to hammer Kelly is his participation in a documentary entitled The Third Jihad. So far The New York Times has devoted numerous news stories and two editorials to The Third Jihad, which is described as "a dark film on U.S. Muslims" and "anti-Islam," whose producers seek to advance a pro-Israel agenda. The Times coverage failed to mention the long roster of authorities interviewed for the film, including the Director of the CIA under President Clinton, James Woolsey, and the first Secretary of Homeland Security Gov. Tom Ridge, and a host of former U.S. government intelligence officials. The title The Third Jihad was provided by the most eminent living historian of Islam, Professor Bernard Lewis.

Far from being an attack on Islam, the opening lines of the film state clearly: "This is not a film about Islam. It is about the threat of radical Islam. Only a small percentage of the world's 1.3 billion Muslims are radical." Dr. Jasser, a devout Muslim of Syrian descent and former U.S. Navy Lieutenant Commander, is the founder of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy. He distinguishes between Islam as a private faith and Islam as a political doctrine mandating the imposition of Sharia law world-wide... 

THE TIMES OMITTED ANY discussion of the thesis of The Third Jihad. Dr. Jasser holds up a fifteen-page document, at the beginning of the film, which we eventually learn is a Moslem Brotherhood manifesto for "eliminating and destroying Western civilization from within," using front groups, mosques, and Islamic centers to achieve that goal. The document in question was uncovered by the FBI in the course of its investigation leading up to the government's successful prosecution of the Holy Land Foundation terrorist funding case.

Terrorism, intones Jasser, is only one tactic towards the Islamist's goal of imposing Sharia across the globe – a goal is shared by many groups who are not themselves involved in terrorist activity. CAIR, which is specifically mentioned in the document, is one such group. CAIR was listed as an unindicted co-conspirator in the Holy Land Foundation case, and the FBI broke off all relations with the group at the time.

Abdul Rahman Alamoudi, the founder of the American Muslim Council, who was invited to speak at an ecumenical service in the National Cathedral after 9/11, is another "moderate" Muslim. He is shown in The Third Jihad boasting, "Either we do it now or we do it in a hundred years, but this country will become a Muslim country."

The current controversy could itself be a chapter in The Third Jihad,which discusses the manner in which Islamist front groups constantly raise the specter of Islamophobia to suppress discussion of radical Islam. And it works.

Paul Berman writes in The Flight of the Individuals of how Western intellectuals have been induced to remain silent on such awkward matters as the historical link between the Moslem Brotherhood and the Nazis, and the Nazi inspiration for present day Islamists. Concern for Muslim sensitivities prevents government officials from acknowledging the obvious. After uncovering a plot to blow up the Canadian parliament and behead the prime minister, a police spokesman described the plotters as being drawn from a wide cross-section of society, while neglecting to mention that all were Muslim. Similarly, Muslims plotting to blow up ten commercial aircraft over the Atlantic were described only as English nationals of southeastern Asian descent.

President Obama's anti-terrorism advisor John Brennan, for instance, rejects any discussion of worldwide jihad. He speaks only of the battle against Al Qaeda and its affiliates, while failing to recognize that Al Qaeda is but one of many Moslem Brotherhood offshoots sharing a command ideology, not a single command structure. The 2010 National Security document pointedly omits any reference to radical Islam, and speaks instead only of "violent extremists."

The 80-page government report on the Fort Hood massacre laughably made no mention of the religious beliefs of Dr. Nidal Malik Hassan's, who murdered 13 while shouting "Alla-hu Akhbar." It concluded that "religious fundamentalism alone is not a risk factor." In congressional testimony, Attorney General Eric Holder repeatedly refused to acknowledge any connection between the Islamic religious beliefs of the Ft. Hood assassin, the Times Square Bomber, and the x-mas airplane bomber...

Perhaps most chilling is the penetration of the American educational system, from the top down. The Saudis have provided $20 million a piece to Georgetown University and Harvard. Many of the Saudi gifts to prestigious universities are styled as promoting Islamic-Christian understanding, which is ironic given that churches are banned in Saudi Arabia, and even the possession of a Christian bible forbidden.

Saudi money funds many American mosques. According to a 2005 report of the Center for Religious Freedom, "Wahhabism [an extreme form of Islamic fundamentalism and the official religion of Saudi Arabia] is dominant in many American mosques." Much of the official Saudi-supplied literature could be considered hate speech. A Saudi-sponsored Islamic academy in Virginia, for instance, used textbooks that promote violence against "Christians, Shiite Muslims, and Jews."

Fortunately, we do not have to follow The New York Times politically correct evasion of the issues raised by The Third Jihad. The documentary can be accessed for free at www.thethirdjihad.com ...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 10:16AM #2
Amin21

Just to show you where my mind is...

I thought this was going to be about the important subject of the Assad regime (and Mubarak and others) using Islamophobia (and ironically also Islamic extremism as a weapon) inside Syria.

Syrians for 40 years have been being told how extreme their majority is.  The entire Syrian government dialogue rotates from blaming Salafism to zionism... Russia claims it is all about the battle between sectarian extremism and secularism...  Even US groups have latched onto it... to include the silence of at least on major news network... the far left... and portions of the far right which remain fairly silent about Assad due to the Muslim Brotherhood Bogey man..

I have issues with so many organizations involved in everything about the cited article and "the third Jihad" though I have not see it... I might just to give a valid opinion of it...  But Dr Jasser, as well meaning has he may be has made some alliances I find distasteful...

as has CAIR...

and I am pretty much entirely in doubt on the solidarity, the cohesion and the nature of the Muslim brotherhood... as portrayed by many in the West, a view of what is happening in Egypt shows us that it is more an umbrella than anything else... where in Egypt one member of the Muslim brotherhood chastised another for trying to call parliament to prayer... and was told that he was not in a mosque.

I do not believe in some international Muslim brotherhood conspiracy nor in the overall effectiveness of this "organization"...  I also do not buy into conspiracy theories that sound to me a lot like what I have heard some many times about "zionists" there are just too many similarities quite frankly.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 10:21AM #3
Amin21

I would love... to discuss the use of Islamophobia as a weapon by Assad...

and the reality of the use of Islamophobia on the baser elements of American and European society as a political tool...

One of the few things I do agree with CAIR on...

Then I would also like to discuss the silence of organizations like CAIR and pages like "loonwatch" who discuss Western Islamophobia... run anti-zionist/American foreign policy focuses... and ignore Sunniphobia by Iran and Islamophobia/Sunniphobia in Syria.

The we can discuss how Glenn Greenwald is a Jack-donkey, a tool... and a moron...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 2:17PM #4
Jasr

If Islamophobia is an offensive weapon, its unintended effect is ultimately to put a bullet in one's own foot...or worse, one's own head.

Constitutionally sanctioned law enforcement intelligence-gathering on elements with the potential to do harm to life and property in the US is perfectly acceptable.

Right wing grandstanding against invented threats, such as is perpetrated by Pamela Gellar or Peter King or Newt Gingrich or the Oklahoma legislature, does immeasurably more harm than good.

America has everything to gain by welcoming Muslims into our body politic, and by allowing them to contribute and serve, and thrive, without stigma or irrational labelling.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 2:31PM #5
Erey

This OP covers quite a bit.  Islamaphobia as a problem vs. Islamism (radical Islam).  I do think often forigen powers like Saudi or formerly Egypt will advocate for staying in power in an effort to curb or thwardt Islamism from becomming dominant.  If we look at Gaza they seem to have a point albeit a limited one.  That is one way that Islamaphobia is a weapon or at least a tool for coercion.

I do think it is important to distinguish that Islamaphobia for many people on this board is the idea that radical Islam is a threat.  In that case I am an Islamaphobe because I do believe Islamism is threatening.  A senator or congress person has little effect on what goes on our airwaves.  But the idea that programing would offend Islamists enough is enough to decide what will or will not be aired. 

The idea that Islamaphobia is irrational fear of muslims does exist.  As in the more recent Lowes pulling out of sponsoring that reality TV show featuring American Muslims. 

I am trying to think when else is Islamaphobia a weapon?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 2:44PM #6
Find1Answer

Building a mosque near ground zero?   which btw they ended up building anyway after follks got bored of the righteous indignation of it all or the media moved on to their next exploitation.  

makes me wonder if the use of islamaphobia was not just a cynical politial ploy by those pols that formented the faux outrage.    oh the inappropriateness of it all or do the muslims have no collective shame,   freedom of religion and all that contrasted with yes they can but how appropriate is it?   

"I don’t care if the federal government is telling me to buy my employees Jack Daniel’s or birth control. What gives them the right to tell me that I have to do that? That’s my issue, that’s what I object to, and that’s the beginning and end of the story."

This hint that Potter had merely swaddled an anti-government rant within a "religious" blanket illustrates the main problem with Justice Samuel Alito's majority opinion in Hobby Lobby: it takes claims of religious scruples for granted.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-expanded-hobby-lobby-20140702-column.html#page=1
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 3:06PM #7
Jasr

Feb 17, 2012 -- 2:31PM, Erey wrote:

I do think it is important to distinguish that Islamaphobia for many people on this board is the idea that radical Islam is a threat.  In that case I am an Islamaphobe because I do believe Islamism is threatening. 

Radical Jihadism is threatening...but Muslim Americans with a strong stake in American peace and prosperity are not very vulnerable to it.

A senator or congress person has little effect on what goes on our airwaves.  But the idea that programing would offend Islamists enough is enough to decide what will or will not be aired. 

A grandstanding New York congressman witha history of sympathizing with the Irish Republican Army, who conducts "hearings" to no other purpose than his own political advancement, makes a big splash on the airwaves, at least for a while.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 3:48PM #8
Erey

Jasr,

You sort of lost me on the whole Irish Senator thing - I guess I was not paying attention during that extravaganza.  But yes Islamism is a threat which is why I suppose Islamaphobia can also be used as a weapon or a coercion tool.  You can't have effective Islamaphobia without a real threat comming out of the Islamic world. 

yes, of course I agree with you about the majority of muslim americans that are just trying to be good muslim american citizens.  We see, work, neighboor and go to community events with such people. 

However, it has been misleading that only a small fraction were ever Islamists.  I believe the number has decreased significantly over the last couple of years but say 5-6 years ago during more of a hay-day the percentage of people that sympathized with radical Islam was really concerning.  Like 25% of muslim males between the ages of 16 and 28 (paraphrasing).  Not miniscule.    But like all social/policial trends they burn bright and then fade.  It might be a compelling movement but it is not a compelling lifestyle. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 4:18PM #9
Ibn

The idea that Islamaphobia is irrational fear of muslims does exist. 

Islamophobia is irrational fear of Islam.

I know one thing: There are a billion Islamic people in the world today, and there will be about 2 billion by the time we're dead. They're not going to give up their religion.
(Chris Matthews)
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook