Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Unhappy Valentine’s Day in Israel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2012 - 4:02PM #1
Miraj

Unhappy Valentine’s Day in Israel

A racist Israeli law divides married Palestinian couples; Jewish couples are exempt

The law explicitly discriminates on the basis of race.  Notwithstanding this fact, the Israeli Supreme Court of Justice earlier this year rejected a final appeal against the law. As a result, my wife could well be denied the right to live with me, a Palestinian with Israeli citizenship, and our two children in my hometown of Akka.

Continued at the link. 

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2012 - 4:36PM #2
Dostojevsky

Miraj, can't the other members of the family take on Israeli citizenship?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2012 - 10:20PM #3
rangerken

The law certainly does seem to be discrimination, but it isn't 'racist' at all. Palestinians are not a race. Jews are not a race.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 4:28AM #4
habesor

Miraj,

When Tayseer has no problem pledging allegiance to the flag of the Jewish State of Israel, come back to me about his complaint.

Habesor 

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 5:25AM #5
Miraj

Feb 16, 2012 -- 4:28AM, habesor wrote:

Miraj,

When Tayseer has no problem pledging allegiance to the flag of the Jewish State of Israel, come back to me about his complaint.

Habesor 

The farce about Israel being a democracy with respect for non-Jews is once again confirmed.

But, we already knew that.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 5:37AM #6
shmuelgoldstein

Feb 15, 2012 -- 4:02PM, Miraj wrote:

Unhappy Valentine’s Day in Israel

An Israeli law divides married Arab couples; Jewish couples are exempt

There is no reason why Israel should admit people as residents who are not going to be loyal to the state, and may very well be enemies, and act as such. Some Jews (some in the haredi population mainly) may not be enamored of the State of Israel, but they do not act as its enemies.

This law does NOT apply to members of the Druze community in the Carmel vis-a-vis those in the Golan. And that's because they are loyal to the State of Israel and do not act as its enemy.

IMO, were the Yesha Arab partner be willing to sign, in public, a loyalty statement to the State of Israel, then I would have no problem supporting a law allowing that person to be a resident of Israel.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 6:51AM #7
habesor

Miraj,

You are the one who insists that an Arab Christian or Muslim does not want to pledge allegiance to the Israeli State. I think that you are factually incorrect on this but your position on this is quite clear. Now you are telling me that you are upset because Israel does not extend residency rights to someone who, you argue, will not take an oath of allegiance to the State. 

Miraj, tell you what. Get Tayseer and his wife to move to the USA and see if they can get citizenship without taking an oath of allegiance to the USA. Let's see if they can retain residency if they state that it is impossible for them ever to be loyal to the USA. I guess that makes the USA a fake democracy. 

Habesor

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 8:56AM #8
SherriMunnerlyn

Feb 15, 2012 -- 10:20PM, rangerken wrote:

The law certainly does seem to be discrimination, but it isn't 'racist' at all. Palestinians are not a race. Jews are not a race.

Ken

Ken,

Prejudice is prejudice, and laws that treat people differently because of their ethnicity are as prejudicial and discriminatory and racist as laws that treat people differently because of the color of their skin, and every bit as objectionable as laws that discriminate specifically on the basis of race. I am reminded here of intl laws, such as laws regarding Apartheid,  that define racism as including this other discrimination.

So, it is not incorrect to call these practices racist practices, as intl authorities do, which is exactly what they are.

Here is a definition of racial discrimination from the UN:

"any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment, or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural, or any other field of public life."

United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination

Here is an interesting point, the definition does not distinquish between discrimination based on ethnicity and race, in part because the distinction between the two remains debatable by anthropologists.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_of_aparthe...

Sherri 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 9:39AM #9
ffb

Sherri, a question if I might.

Based on the definition you posted (which as it is used to define "racism" is, I think, an example of sloppy thinking and loose linguistics...):

"any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment, or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural, or any other field of public life."

So any organization which affords college grants and has race/skin color as part of it's decision process is racist? What about being the child of a Veteran (descent) and getting advantages through that? Racist?

And doesn't this mean that the notion of any nation's citizenship should eliminated? The US deprives people of equal footing based on their country of origin! The right to education, to vote, to certain aspects of health care are all limited to American citizens (or at least legal residents). And don't get me started on age-ism! 18 to vote and 35 to be president? WHY? The political aspect of public life should be a freedom afforded to all.

Funny how a statement which negates national origin should come from a group so inherently tied to the idea of distinct nations.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 9:52AM #10
SherriMunnerlyn

Feb 16, 2012 -- 4:28AM, habesor wrote:

Miraj,

Habesor 

Habesor,

This is not an issue about anyone refusing to swear allegience to the State of Israel. The man is an Israeli citizen, but he is a nonJewish citizen, meaning he is discriminated against, he is subjected to racist practices and laws.

This is about racist Israeli laws and practices against Palestinians, as Jews are exempt from this  law.   

"The law explicitly discriminates on the basis of race.  Notwithstanding this fact, the Israeli Supreme Court of Justice earlier this year rejected a final appeal against the law. As a result, my wife could well be denied the right to live with me, a Palestinian with Israeli citizenship, and our two children in my hometown of Akka."

"The would-be harmony of family life is further disrupted by the fact that we cannot choose to live in Jenin. According to laws introduced after the 1993 Oslo Accords, Israeli citizens are not allowed to live in or even visit Palestinian cities in Palestinian Authority-administered areas of the Occupied Territories. We, and tens of thousands of our compatriots, are caught in a truly Kafkaesque dilemma. The fear of being torn apart as a family has become a daily part of our lives."

www.salon.com/2012/02/14/unhappy_valenti...

Sherri

iFrame Removed

iFrame Removed
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook