Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View "Student City" ranking 2012
2 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2012 - 11:13AM #1
CharikIeia

We've had so many ountry & city rankings here, it only can be topped with nice animal stories or threads about the bad effects of meat eating.

Let me add to the ranking tradition today.

The first global student cities rankings, published today by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) show a list dominated by European cities - Vienna, Zurich, Berlin and Dublin all make it into the top 10 and there are are 20 overall in the top 50.

Here the top twenty:

Paris  11  Barcelona 
2  London  12  Singapore 
Boston  13  Munich 
Melbourne  14  Lyon 
Vienna  15  Chicago 
Sydney  16  Madrid 
Zurich  17  San Francisco 
Berlin  18  New York 
Dublin  19  Tokyo 
10  Montreal  19  Hong Kong 

And here the proof that this is fresh from the oven:

www.topuniversities.com/student-life/bes...
www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/fe...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2012 - 4:25PM #2
Erey

I am not really impressed, sorry.

judging by affordability and employment why London, Zurich and Paris some of the the very most expensive cities in the world  In fact, I believe Zurich is now the most expensive city.

Employment opportunities?  I am not buying it.

I think Austin, TX should be on the list, shoot Houston should be on the list.  Both of those cities are at least half as expensive and have way more jobs to offer. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 2:20AM #3
CharikIeia

Speaking from own memory, the study time is when you form your cultural tastes. The cities ranking high have a huge cultural portfolio, clubs, concerts, restaurants, theatre, galleries. "Jobs" would be student jobs, I would think, something you do for earning your study costs. Well.

I don't know Texas. First hand experience from inside the university world I have for quite a few of the top-25, however (Paris, London, Boston, Melbourne, Vienna, Zurich, Berlin, Barcelona & Madrid) - they all have multiple, exquisite, big universities. Which of course counts first and foremost if you speak about student cities.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 10:14AM #4
TemplarS

What intrigues me here is not results of the survey (which are subjective and easy to argue over) but the idea of a city university as compared with what we have a lot of in the US: either a self-contained mega-campus (Penn State is one example, which is in the mountains of Pennsylvania), or a smaller city where the college is about all there is to the town (Cornell or Dartmouth or Virginia Tech).   I went to a small-city college and loved it;  I have a daughter now who goes to college in Philadelphia and she loves that.  No one-size-fits-all answer, I guess.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 10:55AM #5
farragut

I agree, Sir Knight, there are a number of communities, large and small, that come to mind. Think of Orono, Maine, Storrs, Conn., Lawrence, Kansas.  And smaller but lovely school communities like Lindsborg, Kansas, or Danville, Berea, and Murray, Kentucky. And dozens more come to mind immediately. I could go on listing them for an hour.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 11:58AM #6
Fodaoson

American and European definitions of a University education and the process differ.   Europeans still tent to think in terms of classical education/ development as a person while Americans think “ job training. “  

Penn state/State college is   beautiful and pleasant setting, So is Princeton. My own alma mate, Oklahoma State at Stillwater is a great campus. The A&M /land grants university were originally  located  in remote settings.  Some have had cities grow  up around  or near them,  but some such as State College. PA.  And Stillwater OK. Are still small towns.  College Station TX, home of TAMU has grown into  city of 100,000+/-   and Bryan TX which was originally 10 miles away from the  A&M  college, had grown to 70,000+  and Bryan/College station is one(twin city)  metro area.

Houston TX,100 miles from TAMU is the largest city in Texas and fourth largest in the U.S., and, In my opinion, sucks as a city.  San Antonio has a much better atmosphere.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 1:58PM #7
costrel

Of course, as Nietzsche's Zarathustra reminds us, those who are really concerned about a quest for truth will abandon the cities for the solitudes of the forests and the deserts. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 2:09PM #8
TemplarS

Feb 16, 2012 -- 1:58PM, costrel wrote:

Of course, as Nietzsche's Zarathustra reminds us, those who are really concerned about a quest for truth will abandon the cities for the solitudes of the forests and the deserts. 

Hah!

Been tried, didn't work out as planned.   Las Vegas used to be desert- seen it recently?  And they even have a university.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 2:12PM #9
mytmouse57

Once again, all these "best city" topics have meaning only for those who can stand to live in (much less try to raise children in) a large metropolian area.

I cannot. 

Those of you who can, knock yourselves out. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 2:33PM #10
costrel

Feb 16, 2012 -- 2:09PM, TemplarS wrote:

Feb 16, 2012 -- 1:58PM, costrel wrote:

Hah!

Been tried, didn't work out as planned.   Las Vegas used to be desert- seen it recently?  And they even have a university.

Even the Late Antique monks turned the Egyptian desert into a city!

Perhaps Zarathustra would say the following about Las Vegas: "It is bad to live in cities: too many of the lustful live there" (Thus Spoke Zarathustra 1.13). 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook