Page 22 of 23  •  Prev 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Anti-Semitism in the Middle East
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 9:58AM #211
rocketjsquirell

May 4, 2012 -- 9:34AM, browbeaten wrote:

May 4, 2012 -- 9:01AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

Apr 23, 2012 -- 1:25PM, JAstor wrote:

Apr 23, 2012 -- 1:14PM, Miraj wrote:

I'm a Semite.  Jews who hate me are anti-Semitic. Denial of that fact is racist.

Employing Newspeak to deflect conversation about real anti-Semitism in the Arab and Muslim Middle East is racist. 

Things are gettng more complicated.

Now we have anti-semitism, and real anti-semitismInnocent

Now, that makes two people who can't read a dictionary.

They can read the dictionary, but they choose not to. It is a perfect example of doublespeak, an effort to remove meaning from words to prevent discourse and intellegent analysis. It is a dishonest practice engaged in by those who lack legitimate arguments.

Dishonesty in discourse is more or less par for the course from the anti-Israel. anti-Zionist, anti-Semitic communitie(s). 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 10:03AM #212
CharikIeia

May 4, 2012 -- 9:01AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

Now we have anti-semitism, and real anti-semitismInnocent

Actually, we have people learning a language before they speak it, and we have people re-defining a language not their own, and insisting that others should accept this as valid...

Language, like culture, is a huge ship that you cannot manoeuvre at whim, like some politically-minded think it should be.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 3:36PM #213
Miraj

It's unreasonable to want to maintain the ability to say to a Semite that they are an anti-Semite, but the pale, blond European Jew accusing you is the real Semite.  Dictionaries be damned, logic is its own excuse for reason.  Admit it, it's a word that no longer serves its original purpose.  Trying to get Arabs to go accede with more eurocentrism in favor of non-Semites is a waste of time.  That's especially true when there is little else of WWII racism that Jews want to hold on to.  This one raises pro-Israel funds; that's why its nostalgia is so precious.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 4:46PM #214
rocketjsquirell

Miraj

Most of us speak English. If you are going to speak English you have to accept common usage of English words. Logic has very little to do with language and even less to do with your screed.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 5:04PM #215
Miraj

May 4, 2012 -- 4:46PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Miraj

Most of us speak English. If you are going to speak English you have to accept common usage of English words. Logic has very little to do with language and even less to do with your screed.

I don't speak eurotrash.  Since you speak English, you know it's changing all the time.  Since we outnumber you, we'll make this term change, too.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 5:14PM #216
rocketjsquirell

Miraj

1. You do not outnumber us. The vast majority of English speakers prefer to speak English and to use English terms in their proper context and with their proper meanings. Language changes but it does so gradually.

2. One may or may not be a "semite" but that would not prevent one from being anti-semitic if one holds anti-semitic beliefs.  One can be anti just about any thing  or any group no matter one's affiliation if one holds views and beliefs which are against the group or thing.

The rest of your post is beneath you and undeserving of comment.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 5:21PM #217
CharikIeia

May 4, 2012 -- 5:04PM, Miraj wrote:

I don't speak eurotrash. 

Nobody said you did.

Why do people use this word, eurotrash? Why do you use it?

It sounds like it is meant to denigrate my continent in some way - i.o.w., its usage seems to be a variant of racism.

Since we outnumber you, we'll make this term change, too.

Only if "you" start making sense. Truth is what will prevail, not the majority's delusion.

The words we talk about here, "antisemitism" as a specific form of xenophobia, and "semitic" as an adjective when it relates to languages etc., are good words with clear meaning, and there is no linguistic need to re-define them.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 5:30PM #218
rocketjsquirell

Chari

I always thought the term "Eurotrash" referred to either 1. European celebrities of the Kim Kardashian type (yes I know she is an American - but I can't think of a totally useless European "celebrity" off the top of my head) or 2. the drunken louts who go to places like Ibiza and behave poorly. I never saw it used in the context supplied by Miraj. Maybe it is just part of that changing language idea. Smile It is also not a particularly nice term.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 5:35PM #219
Miraj

May 4, 2012 -- 5:21PM, CharikIeia wrote:

May 4, 2012 -- 5:04PM, Miraj wrote:

I don't speak eurotrash. 

Nobody said you did.

Why do people use this word, eurotrash? Why do you use it?

It sounds like it is meant to denigrate my continent in some way - i.o.w., its usage seems to be a variant of racism.

Is "Anti-Semite" a form of racism when Arabs can't use it against Jews? Yes.

Since we outnumber you, we'll make this term change, too.

Only if "you" start making sense. Truth is what will prevail, not the majority's delusion.

The majority includes non-Arabs who insist that Jews are the only "Semites" that can't be anti-Semitic.  Still waiting for that majority to make sense.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 5:46PM #220
CharikIeia

May 4, 2012 -- 5:35PM, Miraj wrote:

...non-Arabs who insist that Jews are the only "Semites" that can't be anti-Semitic...

I've not yet seen anyone claim "Jews are the only Semites that can't be anti-Semitic".

But I've seen several claims that Semites by definition could not hate Semites.

Makes no sense, such an argument.

We all can hate our own. Whether we're Semites, Jews, or mere Trash.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 22 of 23  •  Prev 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook