Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View NOT an attack on freedom of religion
3 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2011 - 9:41PM #11
rangerken

I have no problem with any organization based on any religion to act in accordance with that religion's beliefs as long as...

1. No government money is taken because if it is, then govenment rules must apply...

2. Nothing against the secular law is done...meaning secular law must always, every time, trump any and all religious law!

If a private, Catholic hospital that is not government funded wishes to operate according to Catholic beliefs, fine. The key thing is 'private'.

Now if an individual physician or nurse, due to religious beliefs, does not want to perform some procedure then they should not be forced to do so. That much I'm willing to go with.

Again, take govenment money, play by govenment rules.

And remember...libertarian here...but private is private and public is public.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2011 - 10:53PM #12
jane2

We've been around this block fairly recently. Why the rerun?

I was agin faith-based iniatives funded by government money to begin with--dangerous territory.

As far as some Catholic bishops doing the whining : what else is new? Who invented PR? I've known about how these bishops do business for over 50 years : now a fringey member of the clan. I wouldn't give a red cent any Catholic bishop could get his hands on.

Another peculiarity is that these same bishops preach right-wing all the time. They find one or two moral precepts to promote and forget about the real Gospel message. For me that message is --I am my brother's keeper.

There is a double-edged sword here, however--why did the government(s) get involved with Catholic Charities to begin with. Obviously there was a quid pro quo. Let's not be naive.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2012 - 2:09AM #13
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2012 - 4:19PM #14
Do_unto_others

Dec 29, 2011 -- 3:03PM, Girlchristian wrote:

If a church receives public funds to handle adoptions then they cannot discriminate based on their religious beliefs. The church has the right to refuse that money and then the state must figure out how they'll handle the work the church was doing. The only things that should be considered in adoption is whether or not the parents are fit financially, mentally, and emotionally to provide for the child--not the sex of the parents.

You sure don't sound like a Conservative, GC.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2012 - 4:20PM #15
Do_unto_others

Dec 29, 2011 -- 7:34PM, mountain_man wrote:

Dec 29, 2011 -- 6:10PM, IreneAdler wrote:

A bit galling that the Catholic Charities are framing this as though they are the discrimination victims of said clause.

Galling, but not unusual. The perpetrators of discrimination often cry persecution when they're not allowed to discriminate.

I agree with you and MM, Irene. It's what they DO.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook