Switch to Forum Live View The skeptic who was convinced by the data
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 2:41PM #1
Kwinters
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036789/ns/msnbc_tv...

Dr Richard Mueller
Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 3:42PM #2
aarroottoonn

This was already the subject of at least one thread. The only thing he "confirmed" is that the locations of the weather stations is not a problem for global warming proponents. While I could not find another site quickly that "debunked" his work, I have seen similar statements from more mainstream sources than the one linked. The main criticism being that world temps have not gone up in the last decade, and Muller basically hid that fact.

libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2011/1...

Contrary to claims being made by the leader of the Best global temperature initiative their data confirms, and places on a firmer statistical basis, the global temperature standstill of the past ten years as seen by other groups. It is impossible to reconcile this with Professor Muller’s statement. Could it really be the case that Professor Muller has not looked at the data in an appropriate way to see the last ten years clearly? –David Whitehouse, The Global Warming Policy Foundation, 30 October 2011

This is “hide the decline” stuff. Our data show the pause, just as the other sets of data do. Muller is hiding the decline. To say this is the end of scepticism is misleading, as is the statement that warming hasn’t paused. –Professor Judith Curry, Best co-author, Georgia Institute of Technology, 30 October 2011

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 4:04PM #3
geologist

Yes, this was discussed extensively in another thread.  What wasn't discussed then, perhaps, is the claim that Dr. Muller was an AGW skeptic prior to doing his own research on temperature data in 2010.  The fact is, he was no skeptic as his own words make clear:

From a 2003 paper: “Let me be clear. My own reading of the literature and study of paleoclimate suggests strongly that carbon dioxide from burning of fossil fuels will prove to be the greatest pollutant of human history. It is likely to have severe and detrimental effects on global climate.”

muller.lbl.gov/TRessays/23-MedievalGloba...

Then in an interview in 2008: “The bottom line is that there is a consensus — the [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] — and the president needs to know what the IPCC says. Second, they say that most of the warming of the last 50 years is probably due to humans. You need to know that this is from carbon dioxide, and you need to understand which technologies can reduce this and which can’t. Roughly 1 degree Fahrenheit of global warming has taken place; we’re responsible for one quarter of it. If we cut back so we don’t cause any more, global warming will be delayed by three years and keep on going up….”

…Back in the early ’80s, I resigned from the Sierra Club over the issue of global warming. At that time, they were opposing nuclear power. What I wrote them in my letter of resignation was that, if you oppose nuclear power, the U.S. will become much more heavily dependent on fossil fuels, and that this is a pollutant to the atmosphere that is very likely to lead to global warming.”

www.grist.org/article/lets-get-physical

Ironically, Muller seems more a skeptic now than he was in the past. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2011 - 9:25PM #4
rangerken

This thread was moved from US News & Politics

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook