Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View At Least In This Case Justice Is Done
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 12:56PM #21
LeahOne

Yup - as a family friend surnamed 'Tomplay' informed us "A Canuck is a Cajun who owns a set of long johns"......  

We claim bragging rights as Cajuns as well:  one branch of the family descends from Mme. Chouteau.   (Unfortunately, it's through one of her 2 legitimate sons, the children of the ne'er-do-well she fled from..... )

I will never understand the concept, though, of trying to put another down as some form of building oneself up.  If I felt I knew nothing about the situation, I'd be sympathetic to the person being 'dissed' over the gossip-monger.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 2:42PM #22
BDboy

Nov 2, 2011 -- 9:03PM, farragut wrote:

Hey, I can play that game. Think of me as your White Atheist Sexy Patriarch.

lol

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 4:45PM #23
karbie

I was with a Mother's group years ago when I needed to talk with people who weren't small and didn't call me Mommy. Everyone was bragging about their ethnic groups; I said I was a mongrel because we've been here a long time. Most recent infusion was Irish Catholic; my Grandp was baptised in that faith but we are Protestant.English, Native American, Scots-Irish, and Irish and some Scandinavian somewhere.

since another definition of WASP is "Someone who pays full retail", I'll pass.

I certainly wouldn't have bought a car from an organization as sleazy as that dealership. I hope some of those salesman have lost their jobs over this, but I doubt it--it would just make him hate anyone from the Middle East or of Middle East descent more. During the overthrow of the Shaw, a long-established tea company had bricks thrown through their company windows, had the wife's car deliberately rammed, all because the family's name was Irani. They were from India and had no ties at all to Iran but were in literal fear of their lives from death threats.

Knee jerk reaction bigotry comes from jerks. It's bad enough as a character flaw, but it is absolutely slander to infer that someone is going to send the money from a car sale to terrorists. to say out loud the other dealership supports the Taliban terrorists shows  the speaker has no grasp of world geography but a stunning amount of personal hatred.

If there is an appeal, I hope that the damage amount is changed upward. That salesman deserves an award for showing that he was the sleaziest salesperson  of the year. If you want to sell cars, do it on the reputation of service, customer satisfaction, and civic contributions. Sponsor a Little League team. don't feed into the cliche of the oily used car salesman who is willing to lie about the condition of the cars just to sell them.

What a bunch of lying scum.Anyone who bought a car from them because of those lies should be ashamed of themselves.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 5:46PM #24
TemplarS

I'm a mix of all things British. 

English, Irish, and as I like to say-

I've got a lot of Scotch in my blood.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 7:01PM #25
karbie

I wonder if that dealership put sheets over their cars to protect them from birds and nocturnal bugs. Tastelessly pointed comment, but their sales techiniques go beyond the pale, as it were.

good for the jury for deciding this sort of filth is indeed slander and not the sort of thing they want their community to be famous for. Especially since it wasn't confined to just one confused salesperson.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2011 - 1:50PM #26
TPaine

Nov 3, 2011 -- 7:01PM, karbie wrote:

I wonder if that dealership put sheets over their cars to protect them from birds and nocturnal bugs. Tastelessly pointed comment, but their sales techiniques go beyond the pale, as it were.

good for the jury for deciding this sort of filth is indeed slander and not the sort of thing they want their community to be famous for. Especially since it wasn't confined to just one confused salesperson.

I doubt if they put their sheets over the cars. They wouldn't want to get their wardrobe dirty and the sheets go with the pointy hoods.

"The right of voting for representatives is the primary right by which other rights are protected. To take away this right is to reduce a man to slavery, for slavery consists in being subject to the will of another, and he that has not a vote in the election of representatives is in this case." Thomas Paine:
Dissertation on First Principles of Government (July 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2011 - 10:39PM #27
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2011 - 12:36PM #28
Do_unto_others

Nov 2, 2011 -- 10:44AM, TemplarS wrote:

Good news- but also bad.

One would think a businessman would not use bigotry as a marketing tool if there was not a ready customer base who would respond. 

In any case, glad some courts are on top of things.

Also- there are levels of bigotry.  One wonders what would have happened if the guy hadn't accused other man of supporting terrorists but had simply said "hey, you should buy from a real American."

There are these two liquors stores by me (this is in NJ, not Alabama).  One is owned by Indians; the other has a big banner in the window reading "A Family Owned American Business".  Effective, maybe, but perfectly legal.

What? Indians can't/don't have families? Can't be/aren't "American"?

Sounds like someone who is proud to be prejudiced.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2012 - 4:16AM #29
Estacia

I think it is great that justice was given to the victim.

This victory sends a stong message!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook