Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View At Least In This Case Justice Is Done
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 9:10AM #1
TPaine

It's nice to see that at least occasionally bigotry loses.

MOBILE, Ala (Reuters) - The owner of a large southwest Alabama car dealership derided as "Taliban Toyota" by a competitor has been awarded $7.5 million in damages after a jury trial for his slander claim.

Iranian-born Shawn Esfahani, owner of Eastern Shore Toyota in Daphne, Alabama, sought $28 million in compensatory and punitive damages from Bob Tyler Toyota, claiming employees at that Pensacola, Florida-based dealership falsely portrayed him as an Islamist militant to customers. Link

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 10:39AM #2
Erey

Oh, that is mean! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 10:44AM #3
TemplarS

Good news- but also bad.

One would think a businessman would not use bigotry as a marketing tool if there was not a ready customer base who would respond. 

In any case, glad some courts are on top of things.

Also- there are levels of bigotry.  One wonders what would have happened if the guy hadn't accused other man of supporting terrorists but had simply said "hey, you should buy from a real American."

There are these two liquors stores by me (this is in NJ, not Alabama).  One is owned by Indians; the other has a big banner in the window reading "A Family Owned American Business".  Effective, maybe, but perfectly legal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 11:23AM #4
mountain_man

This happened in Pensacola. The worst 6 months of my life were spent on a small Navy base in Pensacola. The place is the arm pit of Florida. It does not surprise me that someone from there would do something like this.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 12:20PM #5
IreneAdler

Yea!

Sounds like they will appeal though. I found this related article:

blog.al.com/live/2011/10/jury_awards_75_...

Says that the Toyota dealership failed to prove they suffered damages from the ugly statements.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 1:55PM #6
rabello

I'm (pleasantly) surprised that the jury found in favor of the plaintiff.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 2:17PM #7
BDboy

Nov 2, 2011 -- 1:55PM, rabello wrote:

>>>>>>>>> There are good and bad people in every communities. Alabama is no exception.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 2:53PM #8
TemplarS

Nov 2, 2011 -- 2:17PM, BDboy wrote:

>>>>>>>>> There are good and bad people in every communities. Alabama is no exception.

More than that, there is some good in just about everybody.

When it comes to bigotry, personalizing it can make a big difference (should not have to , but that's the way it works).

No account of the trial was given,  but one can easily imagine Mr. Esfahani on the witness stand, the story of a naturalized American who fled Iranian tyranny, and has been here 30 years and worked hard to make a business for himself, presenting a very sympathetic victim.  No longer some faceless "Mooslim".

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 2:57PM #9
IreneAdler

Nov 2, 2011 -- 2:53PM, TemplarS wrote:

Nov 2, 2011 -- 2:17PM, BDboy wrote:

More than that, there is some good in just about everybody.

When it comes to bigotry, personalizing it can make a big difference (should not have to , but that's the way it works).

No account of the trial was given,  but one can easily imagine Mr. Esfahani on the witness stand, the story of a naturalized American who fled Iranian tyranny, and has been here 30 years and worked hard to make a business for himself, presenting a very sympathetic victim.  No longer some faceless "Mooslim".

I guess I missed the part about this man being Muslim. 

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 3:20PM #10
TemplarS

Good point, Irene, but I guess Mr. Bob Tyler thought he was...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook