Page 6 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next
3 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2011 - 9:02PM #51
TemplarS

Nov 4, 2011 -- 8:27PM, jane2 wrote:

I haven't found the news on the financial situation in Europe to be soap-opera-ish at all.

Well, I haven't much had occasion to consider Papandreou before this.

But how a clown like Berlusconi ended up where he did is beyond me. Fortunately it sounds like he won't be around much longer either.

I've surely seen people more qualified to lead a nation on soap operas.  

Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few. 

G. B. Shaw.

In some of these places it seems like you've got "Election of the corrupt few by the incompetent many."

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2011 - 9:23PM #52
jane2

Nov 4, 2011 -- 9:02PM, TemplarS wrote:

Nov 4, 2011 -- 8:27PM, jane2 wrote:

I haven't found the news on the financial situation in Europe to be soap-opera-ish at all.

Well, I haven't much had occasion to consider Papandreou before this.

But how a clown like Berlusconi ended up where he did is beyond me. Fortunately it sounds like he won't be around much longer either.

I've surely seen people more qualified to lead a nation on soap operas.  

Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few. 

G. B. Shaw.

In some of these places it seems like you've got "Election of the corrupt few by the incompetent many."

More than a little truth in that, but then Dubya was re-elected here.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2011 - 10:19AM #53
CharikIeia

Here a well-written update on the Greece finance crisis: www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,15...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2011 - 10:46AM #54
rocketjsquirell

"Run for your life"

At least the title of the article was good. The article was pretty good as a summary of the problem, but like every other analysis it is light on how to fix the problem. While I understand the German fear of inflation and while I understand the reluctance of the stornger economies to bail out the weaker economies, I am afraid that if they do not things will go very poorly for everyone. This is one of the those times when I am happy no one is asking me how to fix the problem. I can not see any way out which is not going to make at least some people very unhappy.      

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2011 - 12:01PM #55
TemplarS

It seems the European crisis of the week is Italy, and the buffoon of the week is now Berlusconi.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2011 - 12:19PM #56
rocketjsquirell

Berlusconi is Italy's answer to Donald Trump, except that next to "the Donald", Berlusconi looks like an elder statesman of impeccable moral standing.

Italy is in trouble mostly because of the mob mentality of the financial sector.

Italy's economy is functioning reasonably well, it has large reserves of foreign currency and gold, and a functioning political system (or at least as functioning as it ever is). There is no particular reason for the interest rates on its debt instruments to be rising right now. It is another example of Europe's self inflicted economic problems. Howrever, before we in the US get all righteous, we need to remember that we managed a pretty good self inflicted economic injury a few months ago when the R's were being even more economically suicidal than usual. We also need to remember that the Republicans' continuing quest to undermine the US economy for political gain is not helping either us or the Europeans. We are all burdened by bad economic policies put forth by dummies holding elected and unelected positions of power.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2011 - 5:31PM #57
Wanderingal

Nov 8, 2011 -- 12:01PM, TemplarS wrote:

It seems the European crisis of the week is Italy, and the buffoon of the week is now Berlusconi.

Templar--hi. Italy has been in the same trouble as Greece for some time now as I mentoned in several posts above.

I do wonder if you're calling Papandreou a "buffon" by implication?

I don't see him that way at all. He got csught in a v ery bad situation that his political enemies are making hay out of.

Berlesconi on the other hand is a misogynist and a crook--and that's been known for a long time too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2011 - 7:42PM #58
Wanderingal

On tonight's news--Berlusconi has announced he will resign very soon--as soon as a certain set of bills relaing to the crisis is passed.

They said that could be as early as next week.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2011 - 8:07PM #59
Wanderingal

BBC World News tonight has an excellent long report on today's sudden events in Italy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 5:47PM #60
Wanderingal

The Greek Prime Minister just resigned so all hell is about to break loose in Greece.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook