Page 3 of 9  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Church Claims ADA Doesn't Apply to Teacher at Church-Run School
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 10:27AM #21
TPaine

An interesting take on the case can be found here.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 1:34PM #22
Wanderingal

Oct 11, 2011 -- 8:39AM, TemplarS wrote:

Oct 10, 2011 -- 8:53PM, jane2 wrote:

Links in the OP are inoperative as such. Post #7???

Just a new state vs the RCC diatribe, it would seem.

I couldn't get the links to work either; but there is plenty of info out there on the case, just google it.

BTW, as it happens this is not a Catholic school, it is Lutheran.

Yes it is Lutheran.

Just another example of how some do not read threads but only want to find a way to grind tht same old dull axe.

BTW-- the mods are working  to find out why some of the links do not work and others do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 1:39PM #23
DotNotInOz

Oct 11, 2011 -- 10:27AM, TPaine wrote:

An interesting take on the case can be found here.

A thoughtful and thought-provoking analysis, Tpaine. Thanks for contributing the link.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 1:42PM #24
Wanderingal

I just finished reading it too.

Thanks TPaine--that's an excellent presentation of the issues. It is reminiscent of a legal brief in that it brings in many many other similar cases and the dispositions of those.

That's an excellent site too.

Just what I needed--more good sites to keep track of.  ;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 3:21PM #25
Do_unto_others

A teacher is not a "minister", nor do her teacher's duties involve 'ministering', and thus the "Church" should back off.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 3:26PM #26
Do_unto_others

Oct 10, 2011 -- 3:42PM, Girlchristian wrote:

One of the values of our society is separation of church and state, which is why churches are exempt from discrimination laws, otherwise, churches would be forced to hire people that don't fall in line with their teachings and/or their beliefs.

I think her 'beliefs' DO fall in line with the Church's. But she doesn't work for the Church. She works for the SCHOOL.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 3:27PM #27
Girlchristian

Oct 11, 2011 -- 3:21PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

A teacher is not a "minister", nor do her teacher's duties involve 'ministering', and thus the "Church" should back off.

She also teaches religion and leads prayer which are things 'ministers' do. The gov't should have no say in who is classified as a minister and who is not. Separation of church and state means just that...

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 3:28PM #28
Girlchristian

Oct 11, 2011 -- 3:26PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

One of the values of our society is separation of church and state, which is why churches are exempt from discrimination laws, otherwise, churches would be forced to hire people that don't fall in line with their teachings and/or their beliefs.

I think her 'beliefs' DO fall in line with the Church's. But she doesn't work for the Church. She works for the SCHOOL.

It's CHURCH RUN SCHOOL, which means she does work for the church.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 3:28PM #29
Do_unto_others

Oct 10, 2011 -- 4:35PM, TemplarS wrote:

I know next to nothing about the law in question, so cannot comment intelligently from a legal perspective.

But, seems to me: 

1) There are good reasons for such an exemption, where religious principles clearly come into play.

2) But this can easily enough be subject to abuse, where the institution in question uses the "ministerial" exemption simply to avoid complying with the law, whether or not the disability in question has anything to do with religious beliefs

I would like to see the court narrow the definition of this exemption to areas which are clearly related to religious beliefs.

+ 1. Certainly on the bolded part.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 3:30PM #30
Do_unto_others

Oct 11, 2011 -- 3:28PM, Girlchristian wrote:

Oct 11, 2011 -- 3:26PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

It's CHURCH RUN SCHOOL, which means she does work for the church.

Apologist. Excuses, excuses. You must have missed the part that said her beliefs are not COUNTER to the Church's. They just wanted an excuse to not have to abide by the ADA. Such a 'fine' example this "Church" is setting.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 9  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook