Page 4 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View School Tells Girl Wearing Rosary Violates Dress Code
3 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2011 - 12:46AM #31
Wanderingal

The swastika was a symbol used by Hindus and by some southwest Indigenous Peoples long before the Nazis got their grubby hands on it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2011 - 1:11AM #32
DotNotInOz
<

Oct 7, 2011 -- 11:09PM, jane2 wrote:

sarcasm noted but Dot has added another on and on from my perspective : tenuous connection with Catholicism and Fremont.

This from the woman who can't seem to resist adding lengthy stories about her family that frequently have a tenuous connection if any at all with the thread topic. Projection, Jane, projection.

We still don't know why this young girl would choose to "wear" a rosary as jewelry and we may never know.

We DO know, Jane. The girl had no idea what she had been wearing was a rosary; she said she thought it was a necklace.

Geez, I know you think nothing I say worth the reading, you and MM have made that quite clear, but at least get a clue what I've said.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2011 - 1:45AM #33
DotNotInOz

Oct 8, 2011 -- 12:46AM, Wanderingal wrote:

The swastika was a symbol used by Hindus and by some southwest Indigenous Peoples long before the Nazis got their grubby hands on it.

Watch out, Wgal. The topic isn't swastikas. The topic police will be after you, too...again.

< grin >

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2011 - 2:13AM #34
Wanderingal

Oy vey iss meir!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2011 - 3:01AM #35
Roodog

Oct 8, 2011 -- 12:46AM, Wanderingal wrote:

Archaeologists had dug up a 1st Century synagogue in Israel, and on the floor of it were, believe it or not, swastikas!

They were in the pattern in the tile on the floor.

(You can be sure that no synagoue built since 1933 has this design on their  floors or their walls.)

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2011 - 3:04AM #36
Wanderingal

Well the Hindus have been using it for 6000+ years and the Indigenous Peoples of the southwestern US for even longer so I'm not really surprised.

Which excavation was that?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2011 - 3:08AM #37
Roodog

Oct 8, 2011 -- 3:04AM, Wanderingal wrote:

Well the Hindus have been using it for 6000+ years and the Indigenous Peoples of the southwestern US for even longer so I'm not really surprised.

Which excavation was that?

I will have to look it up.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2011 - 3:29AM #38
Roodog

W Gal,

It was the synagogue in Capernaum and was actually a 4th Century structure, built on the site of an earlier synagogue.

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2011 - 3:49AM #39
DotNotInOz

If I recall correctly, hubby told me that the swastika has long been used by the Kabbalists and still is in specific contexts. Since only mature married men are eligible to study Kabbalah past the very basic introduction hubby had in Hebrew school as a teenager, he didn't know just how it is used in their context.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2011 - 3:54AM #40
Wanderingal

Roo--thanks so much for that info. I'm going to do some googling about that when i have the time.

Dot--I know a little bit about Kabbala (about the Tree of Life for example which is pretty interesting stuff IMO) --have done some reading and talking with some practitioners but I hadn't come across that fact. I wonder if google will be a help with that...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook