Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View World Vegetarian Day
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 3:38PM #11
Fae

I was vegetarian for 8 months when I was 19. I admit that did not do enough research and eat very well. I became pre-diabetic and my dr.s have informed me because diabetes runs so commonly in my family and I have another disorder, I need to always follow a low GI diet with lots of lean protein. It's interesting because a year ago a friend dared me to go vegan for two weeks and I did very, very well (she didn't last!) I guess I'm kind of addicted to bread, so for me with vegetarianism it was harder for me to choose well, and with being Vegan I pretty much have no choice but to make all of my meals and eat tons of veggies. I ate tons of salads and homemade chinese and avacado tomato sandwiches. But I really did miss meat, mostly fish and chicken. I could imagine being Pescetarian.

If you don't believe eating meat is morally wrong there are other reasons to try it. I know that if people just tried being vegetarian or vegan for one or two weeks they would see that there are certain foods that they can live without. I discovered that I can definitely live without cheese and milk, I didn't miss them at all! The only dairy I missed was eggs. It also exposes your eating habits, I had no idea how much processed foods I eat! It's definitely an eye-opener.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 3:49PM #12
Erey

For some people who go vegan they can have anemia issues, I know a few people like this. 

For them the iron pills dont do it.

I will try and honor veg day on Saturday, if i can't do two meals I will at least do one.  It is not me that has a problem but rather my family. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 3:57PM #13
solfeggio

Girlchristian -

Oh, I'm so sorry to know that you have this bladder condition that never goes away.  I empathise completely, and you have my genuine hope that you find ways to at least feel better, if not cure the condition.

Those of us who have had the experience of having bladder infections from time to time know just how painful this can be.  When this happened to me I was fortunate in that I could just take pills for four days and be fine again.  I cannot imagine how miserable it must be to have this all the time with no let-up.

The bottom line here is, of course, that one diet does not by any means fit all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 4:08PM #14
solfeggio

Fae -

I understand what you're saying, and I know what you mean by the low GI diet.  Diabetes runs in my family, too (and my mother died of it), which means that I am very careful about diet myself so that I don't develop this terrible disease. 

What I did was have talks with a dietician who gave me a detailed diet programme that takes into consideration that I'm vegan.  So, I eat a low GI diet and, as well, I don't eat any processed sugar, and I try to walk a lot.

My husband and I went vegetarian many years ago for health reasons, and then we got into the vegan lifestyle.  This was so long ago that I've long since stopped even thinking about what animal foods taste like, and don't miss them.

There are a lot of foods out there to choose for those of us fortunate enough to live in the industrialised world, and nobody should feel deprived if we can't eat this or that food.  There are always alternatives.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 4:22PM #15
Girlchristian

Oct 3, 2011 -- 3:57PM, solfeggio wrote:

Girlchristian -

Oh, I'm so sorry to know that you have this bladder condition that never goes away.  I empathise completely, and you have my genuine hope that you find ways to at least feel better, if not cure the condition.

Those of us who have had the experience of having bladder infections from time to time know just how painful this can be.  When this happened to me I was fortunate in that I could just take pills for four days and be fine again.  I cannot imagine how miserable it must be to have this all the time with no let-up.

The bottom line here is, of course, that one diet does not by any means fit all.

Thanks Solf. One of the blessings of having a chronic pain condition is that you learn to really value the good days and, for a type-A personality like me, you learn to give your body a break when it needs it.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 4:23PM #16
Fae

Oct 3, 2011 -- 4:08PM, solfeggio wrote:

Fae -

I understand what you're saying, and I know what you mean by the low GI diet.  Diabetes runs in my family, too (and my mother died of it), which means that I am very careful about diet myself so that I don't develop this terrible disease. 

What I did was have talks with a dietician who gave me a detailed diet programme that takes into consideration that I'm vegan.  So, I eat a low GI diet and, as well, I don't eat any processed sugar, and I try to walk a lot.

My husband and I went vegetarian many years ago for health reasons, and then we got into the vegan lifestyle.  This was so long ago that I've long since stopped even thinking about what animal foods taste like, and don't miss them.

There are a lot of foods out there to choose for those of us fortunate enough to live in the industrialised world, and nobody should feel deprived if we can't eat this or that food.  There are always alternatives.

I am sure that it is possible, good for you! :)  You don't miss anything at all? I might try Pescetarian one day. I don't think I could ever give up my seafood. I'm sure it helps to live with people who are also following the same diet as you, I would never have that in my current situation, it's been made very clear to me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 7:12PM #17
Wanderingal

The site for the PBS tv program that promotes organic and vegetarian awareness is

www.borganic.net 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2011 - 11:24PM #18
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing