Page 1 of 64  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 64 Next
Switch to Forum Live View "Christians" Assault Gay Couple
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 2:58PM #1
Do_unto_others

Assault Complaints Filed after Incident at Church

"A gay Gibson County couple said they were assaulted when they tried to attend church services at the Grace Fellowship Church last Wednesday.

"I went over to take the keys out of the ignition and all the sudden I hear someone say 'sick'em,'" said Gibson County resident, Jerry Pittman Jr.

Pittman said the attacked was prompted by the pastor of the church, Jerry Pittman, his father.

"My uncle and two other deacons came over to the car per my dad's request. My uncle smash me in the door as the other deacon knocked my boyfriend back so he couldn't help me, punching him in his face and his chest. The other deacon came and hit me through my car window in my back," said Pittman. He said bystanders did not offer assistance. He said the deacon yelled derogatory homosexual slurs, even after officers arrived. He said the officers never intervened to stop the deacons from yelling the slurs.

"If I was on the scene I would not have allowed that. The deputy should not have allowed it if he did," said Gibson County Sheriff Chuck Arnold."

More at link: www.wbbjtv.com/news/local/Assault-Compla...

Discuss.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 3:11PM #2
mecdukebec

Apparently, God's grace is good enough for everybody, just not "the gays."

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 3:26PM #3
Ken

If you're gay, don't be Christian. It's not worth the hassle.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 3:44PM #4
shirleyj227

God makes you and God loves you unless others do not. @uck others.

Shirley

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 4:16PM #5
DotNotInOz

While this incident is obviously deplorable, I have to wonder if Mr. Pittman and partner didn't go there hoping to provoke a confrontation with a pretty good idea something of the sort would occur.

After all, this isn't some pastor completely unknown to them both. And surely, Mr. Pittman knows his father well enough to be quite aware that while he himself might be welcome in his father's church, bringing his partner with him would be the equivalent of tossing a Molotov cocktail. Very sad if that was the motive.

Even so, the reported actions of the deacons were inexcusable from people who call themselves followers of Christ.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 4:50PM #6
Do_unto_others

Dot, that is what is called blaming the victim.

Stop being an apologist for 'religious' haters and thugs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 5:31PM #7
Paravani

Sep 29, 2011 -- 4:16PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

While this incident is obviously deplorable, I have to wonder if Mr. Pittman and partner didn't go there hoping to provoke a confrontation with a pretty good idea something of the sort would occur.

After all, this isn't some pastor completely unknown to them both. And surely, Mr. Pittman knows his father well enough to be quite aware that while he himself might be welcome in his father's church, bringing his partner with him would be the equivalent of tossing a Molotov cocktail. Very sad if that was the motive.

Even so, the reported actions of the deacons were inexcusable from people who call themselves followers of Christ.

Hi, All!

Wait --

-- Are you saying that you think it's okay for parents to publicly beat their children?!! 

Do you make exceptions for minor children?  Or, in your moral viewpoint, is it just grown children that it's okay to (illegally) assault?

As an adult child of abuse, it's my view that it is NEVER okay to assault someone, most especially someone in your own family.

However offended that pastor might have been by his son (and his son's partner), the most that would have been appropriate would have been to demand that they leave the property and charge them with trespassing if they refused.

Sorry, I'm so appalled by this story I really don't know what else to say.

Love,

--Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 5:36PM #8
Ken

Sep 29, 2011 -- 5:31PM, Paravani wrote:

Hi, All!

Wait --

-- Are you saying that you think it's okay for parents to publicly beat their children?!!

No, that's not what Dot said. It would be nice if those who post on Beliefnet would take the trouble to read the posts they're responding to. It seems that not reading them has become a habit for many, and I'm pretty sick of it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 5:38PM #9
Erey

Sep 29, 2011 -- 5:36PM, Ken wrote:

Sep 29, 2011 -- 5:31PM, Paravani wrote:

Hi, All!

Wait --

No, that's not what Dot said. It would be nice if those who post on Beliefnet would take the trouble to read the posts they're responding to. It seems that not reading them has become a habit for many, and I'm pretty sick of it.

I agree with Ken.  It is a sad story and even sadder because it is family.  Nobody approves of the physical attack regardless of the motivations of the gay couple in visiting the church. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 6:42PM #10
DotNotInOz

Sep 29, 2011 -- 4:50PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Dot, that is what is called blaming the victim.

Stop being an apologist for 'religious' haters and thugs.

Sep 29, 2011 -- 5:36PM, Ken wrote:

It would be nice if those who post on Beliefnet would take the trouble to read the posts they're responding to. It seems that not reading them has become a habit for many, and I'm pretty sick of it.

Thank you, Ken. I heartily agree.

So, you're telling me, DUO, that Mr. Pittman had no idea whatsoever but that he and his partner would be welcomed with open arms?

Considering that this appears to be a non-denominational and probably evangelical Christian church, I have my doubts that their intent in going to church there was entirely innocent. I could be wrong, I admit, as we haven't any information indicating that my suspicion is at all correct. 

Whether it is or isn't doesn't excuse what occurred in the slightest, and I am not suggesting that it does. However, it seems quite peculiar to me for this to have been a completely unexpected reaction on the part of Mr. Pittman's uncle and the other deacons.

Ken has a definite point. I'm tired beyond worldweary of people picking what they want to demolish out of a posting and deliberately disregarding its conclusion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 64  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 64 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook