Post Reply
Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Switch to Forum Live View General questions...
3 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2011 - 3:19PM #91
matica
Posts: 3,067

Sep 24, 2011 -- 2:03PM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:


Sep 23, 2011 -- 9:20PM, matica wrote:


 


And just where have we gone relying on capitalist, the free market to provide? We have become reliant on free market capitalist, not the government. That is what all the hubbubb is about, christians want free market capitalism to provide aide, and it has failed miserably in humanities viewpoint. I guess we could reword this as would Jesus support a free market capitalism society when it come to supporting those who are taken adavantage of?


In this capitalistic society, the solution continues to be rely upon the capitalist, christians want the solutions/aide to be taken out of the hands of government, in which they have not really hand a hand at all, and put everyones lives in the hands of insurance corporations who have a main objective of profits over life.


Let me ask you this......what profit does the current administration wish to make, monetary or humanitary, and what profits would Jesus want to make, monetary of humanitary?




 


I'm going to assume that because you are typing on some kind of device hooked up to the internet that you are literate, so I can only believe that you are ignoring some basic information about me that I have stated multiple times.  I'm not supporting the current system, I'm not Christian, I'm not a Republican, I'm not a Democrat, and I'm not going to fricking defend their positions, whoever they are!  The solution to this problem is no more ignoring it than it is believing those that promise us candy if we will just ride in their van.  If the only defense of your position that you can offer is an attack on an opposing side, STFU and let the adults talk. 


 


all





It's a very arogant stance to think I am writing to just you. STFU.....I'm glad I'm not sitting in ,front of you, I might have to physicaly defend myself. Have you ever heard of calmsforte?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2011 - 3:23PM #92
matica
Posts: 3,067

Sep 24, 2011 -- 2:13PM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:


Sep 24, 2011 -- 1:07PM, Ed.W wrote:


Interesting healthcare news video





Which leads us to the question of "why do malpractice premiums cost 1/10th in Mexico of what they would in the US?"


Because people in the US are sue happy.  That's not going to change by going to a socialized medical system. 





George Bush actually did do something sane by limiting lawsuit payouts and capping the damages awarded. The punitive damages awards against doctors/surgeons/hospitals should have never been allowed to get so out of control. Thanks to some old lady who bought McDonalds coffee, frivolous lawsuits and questioning punitive awards came to light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2011 - 4:16PM #93
davelaw40
Posts: 19,669

Sep 26, 2011 -- 3:14PM, matica wrote:


I know what the solution is, tax the hell out of billionairs, if they cannot live on 500k a year, there is something wrong with them.


Tax churches, churches aren't stepping up and doing anything.


Use those two little eye balls in your head and read an entire post, not just what you want.




just watch the suffering go up in this country when Churches have to stop their charitable work so they can pay taxes.

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2011 - 4:19PM #94
davelaw40
Posts: 19,669

This thread has moved from Discuss Christianity

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2011 - 4:21PM #95
tfvespasianus
Posts: 2,087

Sep 26, 2011 -- 3:23PM, matica wrote:


Thanks to some old lady who bought McDonalds coffee, frivolous lawsuits and questioning punitive awards came to light.




Tort claims are the only  mechanism by which people can obtain compensation for egregious wrong doing by  serial tort-feasors. For example, in the case the people are supposedly familiar  with (McDonald's coffee and the elderly woman), hundreds of people sustained  injuries because McDonald's had a policy of maintaining their coffee at an  exceptionally high 'holding temperature' (i.e. in excess of 180 degrees F). The  woman in question sustained 3rd degree burns to her lower body (thighs,  buttocks, etc.) and was willing to settle for a lower amount (a little more than  was necessary to compensate for medical), but it was McDonald's that took the  'litigious' route. The facts surrounding this case are actually quite different  than they are generally perceived.

 

Citizen's access to the  courts is not a significant cost driver in our healthcare system. It is a check  on shoddy practices. I for one am unwilling to sacrifice access to the legal  system if I am ever wronged.
Ubi solitudinem faciunt pacem appellant - Tacitus
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2011 - 4:59PM #96
davelaw40
Posts: 19,669

Sep 26, 2011 -- 4:21PM, tfvespasianus wrote:


Sep 26, 2011 -- 3:23PM, matica wrote:


Thanks to some old lady who bought McDonalds coffee, frivolous lawsuits and questioning punitive awards came to light.




Tort claims are the only  mechanism by which people can obtain compensation for egregious wrong doing by  serial tort-feasors. For example, in the case the people are supposedly familiar  with (McDonald's coffee and the elderly woman), hundreds of people sustained  injuries because McDonald's had a policy of maintaining their coffee at an  exceptionally high 'holding temperature' (i.e. in excess of 180 degrees F). The  woman in question sustained 3rd degree burns to her lower body (thighs,  buttocks, etc.) and was willing to settle for a lower amount (a little more than  was necessary to compensate for medical), but it was McDonald's that took the  'litigious' route. The facts surrounding this case are actually quite different  than they are generally perceived.

 

Citizen's access to the  courts is not a significant cost driver in our healthcare system. It is a check  on shoddy practices. I for one am unwilling to sacrifice access to the legal  system if I am ever wronged.



 agreed, the lady in question actually had reconstructive surgery on her nether regions-that is not frivolous


the case not only got all restuarants to monitor their beverage temperatures but garnered enough attention to usher in the age of cupholders in new cars 

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2011 - 5:04PM #97
tfvespasianus
Posts: 2,087

Sep 26, 2011 -- 4:59PM, davelaw40 wrote:


 agreed, the lady in question actually had reconstructive surgery on her nether regions-that is not frivolous




 


I don't think so either  davelaw. 'Frivolity' is definitely not something that comes to  mind.

  

I said 'etc', but I guess  mentioning it as you did makes the point more clear.
Moderated by davelaw40 on Sep 26, 2011 - 05:24PM
Ubi solitudinem faciunt pacem appellant - Tacitus
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook