Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Arctic melt and life on earth
3 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2011 - 6:51PM #1
solfeggio
There's sobering news from the National Climatic Data Center:

nsidc.org/

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/hottopics/d...

www.commondreams.org/headline/2011/09/15...

The Arctic sea ice is melting faster and faster, and the sea ice is becoming just too thin to hold up anymore.  Does this threaten the security of all of us living on this planet?  You bet.    

Is there anything we can do about it?  Well, using less fossil fuel would help.

So, why, then, are the U.S. and Canada still talking about this tar sands project??????    

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2011 - 8:57PM #2
TemplarS

Relax, I've been personally assured by Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann, Sarah Palin, and Ron Paul that there is nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2011 - 11:21PM #3
teilhard

We're "screwed" ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2011 - 3:03AM #4
DotNotInOz

This news is one reason I'm glad I'm over 60 and didn't reproduce.

We've likely already destroyed the only planet we've got, and thankfully, it's unlikely I'll live long enough to see endgame...I hope.

Maybe there's another someplace else in the universe where the intelligent species that dominates the planet will manage not to do it in and themselves along with it. One can hope. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2011 - 9:07AM #5
Ebon

We're doomed. The planet has been sacrificed to political and economic expediancy at the alter of wilfull ignorance.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2011 - 12:19PM #6
piecesofthewhole

I don't believe it's too late.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2011 - 10:09PM #7
teilhard

(1) Probably so ...

(2) Well, no ... Mother Earth will continue to Live and even Prosper ... (I hope and pray that "The Tree of Life" -- Theobroma cacao -- will survive our foolishness ...)

Sep 17, 2011 -- 9:07AM, Ebon wrote:

(1) We're doomed.

(2) The planet has been sacrificed to political and economic expediancy at the altar of wilfull ignorance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 12:07PM #8
Lonesentinel

So...if the arctic ice melts,  Humankind will not survive?

Out of curiosity - especially since I believe most responding here are agnostic or atheist - did not man evolve natually and so man's decisions (as a whole of the species) a natural chain of events? As one who does not believe that man's evolution was a random occurence, I am simply trying to understand the thoughts on the other side of the spectrum...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 1:03PM #9
teilhard

Loss of Arctic and Antarctic Ice, and loss of Continental and Mountain Glaciers, are INDICATORS of what is happening in Nature ... The Outlook is not Good ...

There are FAR too many Human Beings (presently 7,000 MILLION of us), using Natural Resources at an unprecedented Rate and also changing the GeoChemistry of The Air, Soil, and Waters at an increasing and also unprecedented Rate ...

We are RELENTLESSLY and often thoughtlessly altering Ecosystems Globally with unforeseeable Effects ...

We are careening OFF The Cliff ...

The GOOD News is: The CLIFF will still be here, strong and tall, AFTER we have fallen to our Doom ...

Sep 18, 2011 -- 12:07PM, Lonesentinel wrote:

So...if the arctic ice melts,  Humankind will not survive?

Out of curiosity - especially since I believe most responding here are agnostic or atheist - did not man evolve natually and so man's decisions (as a whole of the species) a natural chain of events? As one who does not believe that man's evolution was a random occurence, I am simply trying to understand the thoughts on the other side of the spectrum...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 1:38PM #10
DotNotInOz
Just because evolution is a natural process doesn't mean we haven't already done stupid things that have damaged the planet, perhaps irreparably.

Maybe the New Agers are correct who believe that eventually a pole shift will result in many currently inhabited areas being flooded and wiping out most humans.

Something that massive may be what it takes as I'm uncertain that we have sense enough as a species to restrain our greed as much as will be necessary to keep ourselves from extinction.

I know one thing: I wouldn't want to live within a hundred miles of any coast.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook