Switch to Forum Live View Did the World Really Change After 9 / 11?
3 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2011 - 10:24PM #1
Kinky.christian

Witness to Apocalypse

So how would the world be different if 9 / 11 had never happened?

Would the US economy be in better shape?

Maybe a little bit. But I suggest reckless tax cuts, poor regulation of the banks and general bad economic management have contributed more to the state of the US economy than 9 / 11.

Would the US have invaded Iraq?

My guess is that's what Bush intended all along. 9/11 simply made it easier to sell the invasion to the American public. We’d still have had the WMD story.

Would the banks still have been so reckless with our money?

Are you kidding?

Would Greece have been able to pay its debts?

Not worthy of an answer.

When you take a good hard look at the world I suggest most of what ails us has at best a tenuous connection with 9 / 11.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2011 - 11:03PM #2
solfeggio

I agree.  Americans tend to think that they're the only country that matters in the world, so it would follow that a terrorist attack on a major U.S. city leaving thousands of innocent people dead would change the rest of the world.

Outside of tightened airport security after 9/11, things in my country have not changed.  And I am sure that is true of other countries as well.

I also agree that it was undoubtedly Bush's plan to make a little war for himself all along, so he could refer to himself as a war time president, and the attacks were a convenient way for him to do this. 

Noam Chomsky has a few pertinent things to say about all of this:

warincontext.org/2011/09/06/noam-chomsky...

But, whatever really happened, the worst thing the U.S. could have done after the attcks was start Middle Eastern wars.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2011 - 11:37PM #3
jane2

Bit of a strawman here. Few claim that 9/11 seriously changed the world. Ten years will encompass many changes. Our involvement in Afghanistan does stem from the attacks. Afghanistan is often called the graveyard of empires; it is one god-forsaken place.

The op article is from the New York Times. The twin towers were in New York. The article is a retrospective, not inappropriate this week-end.

Many Americans will mourn the losses that day, especially on this tenth anniversary. We were attacked. JFK was murdered on my 24th birthday and I remember that day with clarity. I'm old enough also to remember V-J Day. Remembering is okay.

Solf, very little seems to touch NZ, but the US is one very large and powerful nation. Be happy where you are, but I wouldn't trade places with you. The Near and Middle Eastern nations have fought wars for millenia.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2011 - 11:47PM #4
solfeggio

Well, Jane, I wouldn't trade places with you, either.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2011 - 11:56PM #5
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2011 - 2:56AM #6
jane2

Sep 10, 2011 -- 11:47PM, solfeggio wrote:

Well, Jane, I wouldn't trade places with you, either.

I know. So be it. No problem. Our lifestyles and choices have been different.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2011 - 10:06AM #7
Mostyn32

KC and Solfeggio, I agree with you. 9/11 didn't change the whole world. It changed the US, which is hardly the whole world but manages to give that impression! Apart from the inconvenience of tight  airport security on an international scale and the difficulties attendant on travel into the US, nothing has changed for the rest of us. (Canadians, who have been crossing the border it shares with the US unhampered for decades, now have to produce passports in order to do so! I don't bother going to the States any more. I can holiday and shop happily and hassle-free in Canada.)

The fact that for the first time in its experience the US sustained an attack by foreigners on its own soil merely brings into line with the rest of the world. The US could take a leaf from the books of Europe, Africa, Asia, South America for which attack by foreigners has coloured history for most of history, and learn how to deal with devastation!

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook