Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
3 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2011 - 5:14AM #21
DotNotInOz

True, Wgal, and Mormon sources sell sizable PETE barrels for storing water.   Of course, not all families store dehydrated foods such as I mentioned although the #10 cans of dehydrated food would likely be most economical for a large family. The catalog we got offered all the typical veggies as well as other combinations such as anyone who's used dehydrated backpacking foods is familiar with. Wouldn't be a bad idea actually for a single person or couple to keep a sizable supply of backpacker's foods. They're highly compressed so wouldn't take up much room where that's a concern and actually not that bad tasting. I've had some quite adequate meals of things like dehydrated goulash or stroganoff. These are pretty expensive, however, but might make up for that in ease of storage for one or two people. 

From what I recall, many Mormon families simply buy big bags of dried beans, flour, sugar, etc. that they can use on a regular basis, too, as well as other basic grocery items that most of us probably stock. It just depends on how much a family wants to get into this self-sufficiency aspect of their faith.

Also, you can take your own homegrown foods to a Mormon cannery if you don't have the resources to do your own canning or a place to store homecanned foods which do have to be kept fairly cool to prevent spoilage unlike grocery canned foods. 

And I was mistaken, I just learned. Mormons are commanded to store only a three-month supply. The ideal is a full year. This brief explanation of the basics may be of interest:  jozhaus.wordpress.com/food-storage/

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2011 - 11:00AM #22
IreneAdler

I can see clay pots as a way to keep essentials chilled should power go out for a whole day.  Could make the difference between having milk and meat or tossing them out.  There will
be some food loss nonetheless.   

No doubt the dried foods would suffice for a much longer period of no electricity.  And I have canned goods- along with the hand-held opener (never owned an electric can opener.  The only one I ever used gave me such problems I vowed I would never own one. ).

And, it was a mite difficult scoring ice as a means to keep things cold during the power outage.
Most stores closed immediately after the blackout started (can’t run the registers without power!).  Other stores, I heard, like Paradise Liquors, sold ice for way over the normal price.  Tsk, tsk. Price gouging, anyone?  

As for bisulfites for preserving things, no good for me. I’m allergic to this. So is a small segment of the population (like 10%).  So that’s out. 
And thanks for all the good ideas presented. 

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2011 - 11:58AM #23
DotNotInOz

A camping or backpacking stove is a good idea to have, too.

I was very grateful indeed for my two-burner Coleman stove and fuel some years ago when a major natural gas line near my home was ruptured and gas shut off for some time. I ate quite well for a little over a day using ordinary canned goods and a few things from my camping stash.

Backpacking stoves are amazingly efficient and very easy to store although sometimes a challenge to use. Been a number of years since I saw one demonstrated and never have used one myself, so perhaps their design has been refined somewhat since then.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2011 - 1:48PM #24
Roodog

FEMA has recommendations for an emergency kit. You can google them for these recommendations.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2011 - 7:12PM #25
Hatman

Another option for cooking/heating/water purification would be what we called "buddy burners" in the boy scouts; take a clean, empty can, and cut a cardboard strip(ideally, one, but sometimes others must be used to fill up the space available until you have a better idea of the exact length that is most suitable) such that it can be inserted into the can in a spiral strip equal to the depth of the can(or slightly higher), holes up(and down).

Obtain what once was a common item---sealing wax, aka parrafin---and put a few of the slabs in the top part of a double-boiler.(in the event of no double-boiler, one can place a smaller pan inside a larger pan about half-full of water).  Heat the water below, and the transfer will melt the parrafin; pour the parrafin over the center of your cans until filled, then wait a few minutes and add more.

i intend to do this with many cat-food cans, as in the event of a large-scale power-shutdown, say after an earthquake, gas supplies won't be available either; one can simply remove the burner gas deflector from under the grill-plates, put down a buddy-burner, and cook your food/sterilize your water, etc. (They are also practical/thoughtful gifts for those living under bridges or on the street, too.)

Since these are, in essence, simply large candles, they stink like crazy when you put them out; i recommend using a can of slightly-larger diameter than your buddy burner so as to snuff it out when done, then wait about half-an-hour before taking the now-cooled cans outside to allow the disagreeable odor to dissipate.

While clay pots of sufficient size are expensive, so is food---and having a choice between making an evaporative refrigerator and letting food spoil is really a no-brainer, for me...especially during a wide-spread power outage, when no icemakers anywhere within a reasonable distance will be working, hence the near-uselessness of coolers after approx 36 hours or less, if not kept in a cool or shady place.  The clay pots, however, seem to work better in direct sunlight, as the faster that evaporation takes place, the more cool things become inside.

About 4-5' underground, temps stay a fairly-constant 55 F, but even that would not be cold enough to store anything other than root veg for very long, and it takes a good while to dig any ground out deep and wide enough to make a root cellar, unless one has prepared in advance.

Those who take zero measures in advance of a natural(or man-made) disaster are those caught with their pants down, kicking themselves for not having prepared for anything, and thinking about preying on those who HAVE prepared.

i just viewed a video last evening for a device that utilizes Keely's resonant harmonic frequency theories to heat 100 F water---1.7gal---to 184 F in 2 minutes, using naught but a 9v battery.  Try that on your cookstove, and time it, for comparison purposes.

If any express an interest, i can share the link.

As for canned goods, try googling "Bisphenol A", and beware normal canned foods; better to do as suggested earlier, and bring what you'd like to can to a Mormon facility, and/or learn to use Ball/Mason jars to can yer own.

With goodwill to all the People-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook