Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 7:52AM #1
IreneAdler
Guess we out here in Southern Ca had a little excitement:

The electricity went out about 3:40 pm on Thurs-For San Diego, Imperial, lower Orange Counties and even in Baja. 

My power went on a little after 11 pm- but many are still without power.  It pretty much shut down Lindbergh Field and many places are not open today (no school !). Traffic was a mess yesterday.  And, it was a very hot day here- 95+ degrees. So lots of folks hurtin' from the heat.

Kinda made me think about some of the threads here regarding major disasters. The phones still worked, but lots of radio stations were off the air.  Those still broadcasting kept folks apprised of situation.   Listeners emailed/tweeted helpful info (where to still purchase gasoline, those on oxygen ought to go to a nearby hospital, open shops, problem traffic areas, etc.) which was re-broadcast.  I understand there were concerns about looting but most folks used the opportunity to help others or just stop and socialize with neighbors instead. Guess 'laid back' in attitude  comes in handy in times of trouble.

They did stress this was not an act of terror but were not entirely sure how two electrical lines supplying Southern Ca could cut out as it did (they use the term "sever" but stressed that this does not mean someone cut the lines).

Irene

CNN article:     
   www.cnn.com/2011/US/09/09/california.pow...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 8:53AM #2
Wanderingal

Irene--Hi.

I hope you're okay?

Yuma AZ which is not far from the border between CA and AZ also had major power failures.

Their temp last night as of 10PM our time was 113 degrees--and no that's not a typo.

My thoughts and prayers for all who are affected and hoping all will have their power restored soon if it hasn't already been by this time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 1:57PM #3
jane2

Sep 9, 2011 -- 7:52AM, IreneAdler wrote:

Guess we out here in Southern Ca had a little excitement:

The electricity went out about 3:40 pm on Thurs-For San Diego, Imperial, lower Orange Counties and even in Baja. 

My power went on a little after 11 pm- but many are still without power.  It pretty much shut down Lindbergh Field and many places are not open today (no school !). Traffic was a mess yesterday.  And, it was a very hot day here- 95+ degrees. So lots of folks hurtin' from the heat.

Kinda made me think about some of the threads here regarding major disasters. The phones still worked, but lots of radio stations were off the air.  Those still broadcasting kept folks apprised of situation.   Listeners emailed/tweeted helpful info (where to still purchase gasoline, those on oxygen ought to go to a nearby hospital, open shops, problem traffic areas, etc.) which was re-broadcast.  I understand there were concerns about looting but most folks used the opportunity to help others or just stop and socialize with neighbors instead. Guess 'laid back' in attitude  comes in handy in times of trouble.

They did stress this was not an act of terror but were not entirely sure how two electrical lines supplying Southern Ca could cut out as it did (they use the term "sever" but stressed that this does not mean someone cut the lines).

Irene

CNN article:  
   www.cnn.com/2011/US/09/09/california.pow...

I read about this last night and grimaced. My younger daughter works near San Diego but lives in Riverside County. She will probably call this evening but my thoughts were with her and those in that large area. The heat-wave in that area has been extraordinary.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 2:20PM #4
Wanderingal

Is there anyone who posts here who is in that area and can let us know how things are going?

It's going to be very hot again today. I hope all are doing okay and that the power has been restored for all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 2:35PM #5
Paravani

Hi, All!

I see that the lights are already back on again.

In addition to terrorism and accidents, our power grid is also vulnerable to plain old greed and stupidity. 

The price of copper has soared in recent years, and I have heard of several cases where thieves stole live power lines right off the poles, and transformers (which are essentially two coils of wrapped wires) out of their substations.  I certainly hope that this isn't the case in SoCal, but it is another good reason why the power needed to come back on ASAP -- before thieves took advantage of the outage, and essential components of the system were stolen!

Love,

-- Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 2:48PM #6
IreneAdler

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the good thoughts. 

The gods have looked upon Southern Ca most favorably this day. SDG&E (the power company in these parts) have restored most everyone's electrical power- well ahead of the predicted Friday evening/Sat morn they initially predicted. 

And, if that isn't enough, while it was 100 degrees here (Poway) yesterday, it's way cooler today- like 80-85 degrees. 

So far, folks have taken this in stride. There were lines at the gas pumps this morning.  Folks tanking up as they could not do so while power was out. But no crime events occurred. 

I kept the refrigerator and freezer closed throughout and did not lose any foodstuffs (I had finished my weekly grocery shopping just hours before the lights went out).

I tell you, I lead a charmed life!

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 3:21PM #7
Wanderingal

Irene--thanks for the update. I heard on the noon news that there are some areas still without power--and that some of those are in the Yuma AZ area where it is going to be brutally hot today. (well over 100 again)

I hope all power is restored and that there are few/no serious effects from the power outage for anyone.

Irene says--"Cooler in my area."

From your lips to God's ear that our temps will be cooler too. Anything under 100+ will be much appreciated.

Enough is enough....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2011 - 12:26AM #8
Roodog

Basements:

Cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Count yourself fortunate if your house has one.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2011 - 2:32AM #9
jane2

Did talk to my younger daughter tonight and learned she was involved in a 3 and 1/2 hour jam in San Diego county. The good news is that power was steady at her Coronado house, hence A/C. She did work today but is totally bush-whacked. She is remaking her career and works long hours every week.

I am pleased this gridlock was short-lived. Infrasture upgrade please.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2011 - 8:26PM #10
Hatman

Irene-

First, glad you're back up.

Second, just in case you're in an emergency situtation in future(e.g. 48+ hours w/o electric), you may wish to acquire the following:

Two good-sized clay pots, one that fits inside the other(preferably, with an inch to an inch and a half to spare between the inside edge of the larger pot and the outside edge of the inner pot), some silly-putty/plumber's putty, and a bag of fine sand.

You first fill the holes in the bottom of each pot, then put about an inch of sand at the bottom of the large pot, then put the smaller of the pots inside the other, then fill the area between the inner and outer pots with sand, right up to the brim.

Next, fill the sand with water, adding more sand as the water compacts what you already put in there.

Once you've done that, place what needs to stay cold inside the inner pot, and cover the whole schmear with a towel; evaporation from the sand will cool the inner pot, often to below 40 F.

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook