Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
3 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2011 - 11:46AM #11
Merope

The Episcopal News Service (and, no, I don't just hype faith-based publications :-) is reporting on the degree to which churches in the area are partnering to gather household and personal items for people displaced by the fire.

One clergy person lost her home; apparently the lost-house count is rising by the hour.  There are also fears of the fire spreading into the downtown area of Bastrop.  There is the very real fear that one of our Beliefnet members will lose his home.

Episcopal Bishop Andy Doyle says the Diocese of Texas is mobilizing to offer aid in dozens of ways. "Our folks are under a lot of stress out there, across the diocese," he said. "Anything they need, we are looking for ways to help them."  A diocesan communications officer agreed: "We always have fires, but this is the worst it's ever been, I think," he said in an interview yesterday.

Several congregations have converted parish halls into temporary storage for personal items and furniture for people displaced by the fires, and even shelters for those who've lost their homes.

In Austin, one church reports being overwhelmed with donations for fire victims: the church is filling up its parish hall with donations of all sorts—furniture, household goods, clothing, nonperishable foods and toiletries—and will transport those to local distribution centers.

More at the linked article, above.  It's great to see the community coming together.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2011 - 1:01PM #12
MMarcoe

It doesn't help that Perry cut the firefighting budget by 75 percent this year. Funny, then, that he's going to seek federal aid, isn't it?

On the other hand, maybe now he can hire minimum-wage immigrants to fill the ranks of firefighters.

Texas cut fire department funding by 75 percent this year

Under Gov. Rick Perry (R) this year, Texas slashed state funding for the volunteer fire departments that protect most of the state from wildfires like the ones that have recently destroyed more than 700 homes.

Volunteer departments that were already facing financial strain were slated to have their funding cut from $30 million to $7 million, according to KVUE.

The majority of Texas is protected by volunteer fire departments. There are 879 volunteer fire departments in Texas and only 114 paid fire departments. Another 187 departments are a combination of volunteer and paid.

For that reason, aid from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) could be more important than ever to the state where wildfires have recently been raging.

At a press conference Monday, Perry promised to seek federal disaster relief and said that FEMA would be in the state by Wednesday.

www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/09/texas...

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2011 - 3:29PM #13
Wanderingal

Thoughts and prayers for all affected by these terrible events.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2011 - 3:56PM #14
DotNotInOz

Sep 7, 2011 -- 11:46AM, Merope wrote:

The Episcopal News Service (and, no, I don't just hype faith-based publications :-) is reporting on the degree to which churches in the area are partnering to gather household and personal items for people displaced by the fire.

Glad you linked that story for us, Merope.

That's one thing that is a real benefit about living in the Plains States. People still largely have that homesteader attitude about looking out for each other and helping generously when disaster strikes neighbors.

That's not to say that people elsewhere are uncharitable in catastrophes, but rural people in the Central U.S. in particular still make it a point to get to know their neighbors and to be willing to help as needed. Maybe I'm just fanciful, but I like to think that their doing so is a legacy from the days when being a good neighbor was essential for homesteaders' survival.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2011 - 4:31PM #15
Roodog

Sep 7, 2011 -- 1:01PM, MMarcoe wrote:

It doesn't help that Perry cut the firefighting budget by 75 percent this year. Funny, then, that he's going to seek federal aid, isn't it?

On the other hand, maybe now he can hire minimum-wage immigrants to fill the ranks of firefighters.

Texas cut fire department funding by 75 percent this year

Under Gov. Rick Perry (R) this year, Texas slashed state funding for the volunteer fire departments that protect most of the state from wildfires like the ones that have recently destroyed more than 700 homes.

Volunteer departments that were already facing financial strain were slated to have their funding cut from $30 million to $7 million, according to KVUE.

The majority of Texas is protected by volunteer fire departments. There are 879 volunteer fire departments in Texas and only 114 paid fire departments. Another 187 departments are a combination of volunteer and paid.

For that reason, aid from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) could be more important than ever to the state where wildfires have recently been raging.

At a press conference Monday, Perry promised to seek federal disaster relief and said that FEMA would be in the state by Wednesday.

www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/09/texas...

You pick what you plant. (Galatians 6:7)

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2011 - 6:29PM #16
DotNotInOz
Why am I not surprised that Perry decided to cut volunteer fire department funds so drastically?

Nevermind, I guess, that volunteer departments are literally all many Texas communities have for fighting more ordinary home and business fires.

Guess Perry wants to encouarage insurers' raising premiums and cancelling policies thereby assuring that they'll increase their profits.

I swear Texas hasn't had a competent governor since the late Ann Richards.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2011 - 9:01PM #17
Wanderingal

Dot--amen.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2011 - 9:16PM #18
Stardove

Some of you may have noticed my absence since Sunday.  One of my daughter lives 8 miles east outside of Bastrop, and was in one of the first area to be evacuated.  She, her husband and my grand-son got out safely, but still do not know about their homestead.  They live in the Lost Pines of Texas.  As you might imagine a pine forest in this drought is just a fire waiting to happen.

I was born in Bastrop County in the town of Smithville which is the direction the fires have been heading, and I have other relatives in Bastrop and Smithville.  My family has lived in this part of Texas since the 1850's so living there is not something new to my family.  Yes, there is growth, but then there is growth in many areas of this state.

There is a map and a list of homes which officials know have been destroyed, but the list is not complete, so our family waits for news.  We are grateful our children and family are safe.  That is what is more important than anything, their lives.  The fire has claim two men in different areas, so it has become a killer.  It is the largest fires in the history of Texas.  There were fires all over Texas this week-end with the exception of west Texas with one in the panhandle. 

While some states are flooding Texas is in a serious drought all over.  Nature cannot be controlled is the bottom line I do believe.

My mother recently told me about a cedar tree which self ignited due to the heat and type of tree.  She also lives down south 20 miles from Smithville. I had never heard of this happening. We have been dealing with over 100 degree days in the Dallas Fort Worth area all summer.  Finally a cool front has moved in and we are only in the 90s, but the weather forecast is calling for the 100s to come back.

I just came on to check my messages which had been backing up since Sunday.  It is hard to focus on moderation when I have concerns about my family.  I have been on the computer with Twitter and Facebook open pretty much non stop since Sunday.  After a serious lack of sleep I did sleep 10 hours last night and awoke at almost noon.  Who says the body can't catch up on lost sleep?  Mine doesn't know that and finally it said enough. 

Please hold good thoughts for those in the fire areas, and if you pray say a prayer for all those who have lost their entire world as so many only had a very short time to get out of their homes.  Just imagine you have 5 minutes to leave, what would you grab for to take with you?

My heart is heavy for those who have lost so much and grateful the loss of lives has been so few.

Peace on Earth,

Love one another,

Stardove

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2011 - 9:18PM #19
Stardove

Sep 7, 2011 -- 6:29PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Why am I not surprised that Perry decided to cut volunteer fire department funds so drastically?  Nevermind, I guess, that volunteer departments are literally all many Texas communities have for fighting more ordinary home and business fires.   Guess Perry wants to encouarage insurers' raising premiums and cancelling policies thereby assuring that they'll increase their profits.   I swear Texas hasn't had a competent governor since the late Ann Richards.

I also heard the governor has cut and run to be in the debates tonight.  This after saying "lives are on the line"... right Gov. 

I am seriously rolling my eyes!!!

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2011 - 12:44AM #20
Paravani

Sep 7, 2011 -- 9:16PM, Stardove wrote:

Some of you may have noticed my absence since Sunday.  One of my daughter lives 8 miles east outside of Bastrop, and was in one of the first area to be evacuated.  She, her husband and my grand-son got out safely, but still do not know about their homestead.  They live in the Lost Pines of Texas.  As you might imagine a pine forest in this drought is just a fire waiting to happen.

I was born in Bastrop County in the town of Smithville which is the direction the fires have been heading, and I have other relatives in Bastrop and Smithville...

Hi, All!  Hi, Stardove!

Thank you so much for checking in here.  I've been worried about you because I know you live in Texas, but it's such a big state that I was hoping you weren't anywhere near the fires.

I send prayers and well wishes for you, your family and friends, and your homes...

Love,

-- Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook