3 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2011 - 11:47AM #1
Roodog

The Khapra beetle has been found in a shipment of rice at Chicago's O'Hare Airport.

The insect is one of the world's most feared invasive food pests.

We should look at the way that America is feeding her people and perhaps revamp the agricultural machine that once fed the world instead of importing food from countries that have trouble feeding themselves.

Comments?

Moderated by Merope on Aug 28, 2011 - 01:43PM
For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2011 - 12:14PM #2
mountain_man

Aug 28, 2011 -- 11:47AM, Roodog wrote:

The Khapra beetle has been found in a shipment of rice at Chicago's O'Hare Airport.

The insect is one of the world's most feared invasive food pests.

We should look at the way that America is feeding her people and perhaps revamp the agricultural machine that once fed the world instead of importing food from countries that have trouble feeding themselves.

Comments?

I was an insect trapper for 10 years. Fun job. The trap for the Khapra beetle is a 3x4 inch piece of corrugated cardboard with some kind of "dog food" in the corrugations. The traps are placed about 20 feet apart in places where food stuffs imported in burlap bags are stored. The traps are checked once a month, or so, by pulling them apart and identifying ALL the larval and adult insects therein. Great job that takes you to interesting places and people.

I think that in this case the larva and a few adults were found on a visual inspection. They then seal the area and fumigate the hell out of it.

Don't forget that often the person growing that food we import makes a living from it. If we stop importing that person would have even more trouble feeding themselves.

Moderated by Merope on Aug 28, 2011 - 01:45PM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2011 - 1:54PM #3
CharikIeia

Aug 28, 2011 -- 12:14PM, mountain_man wrote:

I was an insect trapper for 10 years.

Great job that takes you to interesting places and people.

Reminds me of my hero from the signature line...

“You make a nice cup of tea Mrs Murphy . . . Sure I’ll be taking care  of your roaches . . . Oh don’t be telling me where they are . . . You  see I know Mrs Murphy . . . experienced along these lines . . . And I don’t mind telling you Mrs Murphy I like my work and take pride in it.”

“Well the city exterminating people were around and left some white powder draws roaches the way whiskey will draw a priest.”

“Well the city exterminating people are a cheap outfit Mrs Murphy.   What they left was fluoride.  The roaches build up a tolerance and  become addicted. They can be dangerous if the fluoride is suddenly  withdrawn . . . Ah just here it is . . .”

I have spotted a brown crack by the kitchen sink put my bellows in  and blow a load of the precious yellow powder.  As if they had heard the  last trumpet the roaches stream out and flop in convulsions on the  floor.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2011 - 7:12PM #4
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement