Page 2 of 21  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Morning After EMP
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 3:43PM #11
jane2

Aug 27, 2011 -- 3:08PM, Paravani wrote:

Aug 27, 2011 -- 2:53PM, jane2 wrote:

Claudia

This one just didn't fly.

The Heritage Foundation ??? Right-wing fear mongers.

Hi, Jane!

Sorry, which link?

Certainly, some links to EMP may be posted by "wingnuts", but even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

If you'll do an online search, you'll find many, many, MANY reputable sources of information and "fear-mongering".  EMP has also been the topic of the recent "GRID" act in Congress -- more on that later.

The bottom line here is that just because only physicists and electrical engineers understand our vulnerability doesn't mean it isn't real.  You may not understand how EMP works (I do, BTW, having a BS in electrical engineering), but please don't mistake your ignorance of a phenomenon as proof that it doesn't exist, or as evidence that only "wingnuts" are concerned.

Again, raise the topic with your genius grandson, and see what he says about it.  If he doesn't think Grandma needs to be coddled and sheltered from scary information, he'll probably tell you some really interesting stuff -- that is, if he's studied it at all.

Love,

-- Claudia

Different radars, Claudia.

My son, dad of genius grandson will visit it me next week-end--solo trip.He did two years of EE at the Coast Guard Academy and switched to applied math when he resigned and went to GA TECH. Said son  found EE too confining and looked for a more creative field.

This coming semester my grandson will study special relativity, but also electronic music composition.

My degree is in English Lit, languages, history, philosophy,theology--the humanities.

I still refuse to live in constant fear, which this tends toward for me.We do have engineers who post here. And engineers who oversee national priorities. Vigilance is always prudent.

Jane

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 3:48PM #12
Wanderingal

Not everyone will know that EMP Paranoia is a special topic among religious fundamentalist End Time conspiracy nutz.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 3:50PM #13
Wanderingal

"The Heritage Foundation ??? Right-wing fear mongers."

YEP

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 3:50PM #14
DotNotInOz
Vigilance is a reasonable approach to such threats, I agree, Jane.

Resolving as we are out and about to report promptly to authorities any objects or behaviors that are unusual is  all a concerned person can reasonably do, IMO.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 3:53PM #15
Wanderingal

Aug 27, 2011 -- 3:08PM, Paravani wrote:

Aug 27, 2011 -- 2:53PM, jane2 wrote:

Claudia

This one just didn't fly.

The Heritage Foundation ??? Right-wing fear mongers.

Hi, Jane!

Sorry, which link?

Certainly, some links to EMP may be posted by "wingnuts", but even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

If you'll do an online search, you'll find many, many, MANY reputable sources of information and "fear-mongering".  EMP has also been the topic of the recent "GRID" act in Congress -- more on that later.

The bottom line here is that just because only physicists and electrical engineers understand our vulnerability doesn't mean it isn't real.  You may not understand how EMP works (I do, BTW, having a BS in electrical engineering), but please don't mistake your ignorance of a phenomenon as proof that it doesn't exist, or as evidence that only "wingnuts" are concerned.

Again, raise the topic with your genius grandson, and see what he says about it.  If he doesn't think Grandma needs to be coddled and sheltered from scary information, he'll probably tell you some really interesting stuff -- that is, if he's studied it at all.

Love,

-- Claudia

Interesting attempt to try to legitimize rthese paranoid ideas by trying to make people believe that ALL "physicists and electrical engineers" AGREE with what you've posted from Rightwing religious End Time conspiracy nutz.

But  OOOPS--you've presented NO PROOF that they all do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 4:00PM #16
Wanderingal

Dot--hi. There's a whole genre of fiction based on this End Time rightwing religious paranoia. Larry Nivens is one of the most successful authors in this line.

You might know his name from your bookstore time.....

(IT's just "wonderful" to have relatives who are not only End Timers and fundamentalist evangelicals but who ALSO subscribe to this kind of wacko paranoia......ain't families grand? Especially when they ruin Thanksgiving dinners with this kind of junk)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 4:13PM #17
DotNotInOz
Agreed, Wgal.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 4:46PM #18
Wanderingal

Also--the title of the thread--"The Morning After" is a not so subtle reference to the tv movie classic about the aftermath of an atomic bomb--the movie was titled "The Morning After" and was one long scare tactic.

Life has a lot more joy in it if we look for joy--and a lot more pain and anguish if we only look for pain and anguish.

Some people get off on this kind of doomsday thinking.

And criticize anyone who doesn't follow along mindlessly.

There are a lot more daisies than there are bombs.

(That's a historical reference....)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 5:16PM #19
DotNotInOz
I was reminded of that 50's nuclear attack aftermath novel, _On the Beach_, about survivors' basically fruitless efforts to survive awhile longer.

Five days' worth of stored water and food might be useful after a hurricane or earthquake in areas prone to those, but I can't see a great deal of usefulness where catastrophes might leave you needing them but more than likely you won't ever in a very long lifetime.

I'm simply not into fearmongering enough to appreciate alarms such as this one, I suppose.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 5:34PM #20
Wanderingal

Dot-but if you read one of the End Times survivalist novels I referred to above you'll see that YOU as a moderate possibly even liberal thinker are NOT going to survive anyway.

Only the "righteous Christians" who adhere to the correct End Times thoelogy will ultimately survive.

And I wish I were making this stuff up.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 21  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook